This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2020 Vol. 28 No 3
TESTICULAR DERMOID CYST IN A 14-YEAR-OLD CHILD
National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University, Institute of Medicine, Saransk,
The Russian Federation
The paper presents a clinical case of a 14-year-old child with a dermoid cyst of the right testicle. The formation was first detected during a routine check-up in the polyclinic. Then the external genitalia ultrasound examination was repeatedly performed to the patient, which revealed an inhomogeneous echostructure with dimensions of 14 mm, 13.7 mm and 12 mm with a clear, even contour in the upper pole of the right testicle.
The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) did not show an increase in the main tumour markers. The biochemical blood test revealed an insignificant rise in conjugated bilirubin and serum iron.
To clarify the diagnosis, magnetic resonance tomography of the pelvic organs with intravenous contrast was recommended. After examination, the cystic lesion of the right testicle was diagnosed.
After carrying out the necessary additional diagnostic measures (ultrasound examination of the peripheral lymphatic nodes, the abdominal cavity exploration with intravenous contrast enhancement), the child underwent an operation consisting in revising the right half of the scrotum and removing the formation of the right testicle. Intraoperatively, according to the express biopsy test, the dermoid cyst of the right testicle was diagnosed, which was confirmed by the subsequent histological examination. The postoperative period was uneventful. The patient was discharged in satisfactory state.
Thus, the presented clinical observation emphasizes the need to optimize the preventive work of primary care medical personnel for timely diagnosis of tumor processes in the external genital organs, especially in children of puberty.
- Davidov MI, Malkov AD. Dermoid cyst of the testis. Urologiia. 2003;(2):52-55. (In Russ.)
- Nemtsova MV, Andreeva YuYu. Testicular germ cell tumors: Molecular genetic and clinicomorphological aspects Onkourologiia. 2015;11(1):12-19. doi: 10.17650/1726-9776-2015-1-12-19 (In Russ.)
- Singh AP, Tanger R, Mishra D, Ansari M, Gupta AK, Shukla AK. Testicular mixed germ cell tumor in a newborn child: a rare case. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2019 Apr-Jun;24(2):144-46. doi: 10.4103/jiaps.JIAPS_87_18
- Vasiliyeva IG, Strelnikov AI, Bogdanov GP, Alekseyev PV, Semenova EV. Testicle dermoid cyst in a child with indifferntiated connective tissue dysplasia. Vest IvGMA. 2011;16(1):71-72. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/sluchay-dermoidnoy-kisty-yaichka-u-rebenka-s-sindromom-nedifferentsirovannoy-soedinitelnotkannoy-displazii (In Russ.)
- Nosov AK, Mamizhev EM, Reva SA, Novikov RV, Vorobyev AV, Gafton GI, Petrov SB. Impact of delayed prehospital diagnosis on the results of treatment in patients with germinogenic testicular tumors in Saint-Petersburg. Onkourologiia. 2013;9(2):63-68. doi: 10.17650/1726-9776-2013-9-2-63-68 (In Russ.)
- Shen J, Bi Y, Wang X, Lu L, Tang L, Liu Y, Chen H, Zhang B. Epidemiologic study of 230 cases of testicular/paratesticular tumors or masses: 15-year experience of a single center. J Pediatr Surg. 2017 Dec;52(12):2056-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.08.027
- Akiyama S, Ito K, Kim WJ, Tanaka Y, Yamazaki Y. Prepubertal testicular tumors: a single-center experience of 44 years. J Pediatr Surg. 2016 Aug;51(8):1351-54. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.02.042
- Kuleva SA, Faseeva ND, Ivanova SV, Nomogram for the determination of primary-resistant forms of germ cell tumors in children. Russian Journal of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology. 2019;6(3):26-30. doi: 10.21682/2311-1267-2019-6-3-26-30 (In Russ.)
- Gilbert D, Rapley E, Shipley J. Testicular germ cell tumours: predisposition genes and the male germ cell niche. Nat Rev Cancer. 2011 Apr;11(4):278-88. doi: 10.1038/nrc3021
- Burova EA, Bulanov AA, Tryakin AA, Fedyan-in MYu, Matveev VB, Tulandin SA. Treatment for stage I nonseminomatous testicular germ cell tumors. Onkourologiia. 2011;(1):10-15. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/lechenie-neseminomnyh-germinogennyh-opuholey-yaichka-i-stadii (In Russ.)
- Maizlin II, Dellinger M, Gow KW, Goldin AB, Goldfarb M, Nuchtern JG, Langer M, Vasudevan SA, Doski JJ, Raval MV, Beierle EA. Testicular tumors in prepubescent patients. J Pediatr Surg. 2018 Sep;53(9):1748-52. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.09.020
- Chung JM, Lee SD. Overview of pediatric testicular tumors in Korea. Korean J Urol. 2014 Dec;55(12):789-96. doi: 10.4111/kju.2014.55.12.789
430032, Russian Federation,
Saransk, Ulyanov str., 26 a,
National Research Ogarev
Mordovia State University,
Institute of Medicine,
the Department of the Faculty Surgery
with Courses of Topographic Anatomy
and Operative Surgery, Urology
and Pediatric Surgery,
tel.mobile: +7 917 699 06 04,
Markosyan Sergey A.
Markosyan Sergey A., MD, Associate Professor, Professor, the Department of the Faculty Surgery with Courses of Topographic Anatomy and Operative Surgery, Urology and Pediatric Surgery, National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University, Institute of Medicine, Saransk, Russian Federation.