This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 2
A.V. MAROCHKOV, A.L. LIPNITSKY, S.A. TOCHILO
EFFECT OF VARIOUS OXYGEN CONCENTRATIONS APPLIED AT MULTICOMPONENT ENDOTRACHEAL ANESTHESIA ON THE PARAMETERS OF VENOUS BLOOD GAS COMPOSITION
ME “Mogilev regional hospital”
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To investigate the effect of oxygen various concentrations applied at multicomponent endotracheal anesthesia on the basis of sevoflurane on the parameters of venous blood gas composition and the acid-basic state.
Methods. 67 persons (12 men and 55 women) at the age from 18 till 80 years who were being operated routinely were included in a prospective, randomized controlled trial. Patients were divided into two groups depending on the applied intraoperative concentration of oxygen in the inhaled mixture with FiO2 50%and 35%. The acid-basic state and venous blood gas composition at three stages (prior to the beginning of operation, during it and after anesthesia) were investigated.
Results. Application of high oxygen concentration during anesthesia results in substantial growth of oxygen pressure and an oxygen saturation in the venous blood. At using during anesthesia of FiO2=35%, oxygen pressure was 78,6±27,1mmHg, and the saturation was 92,8±7,9%. It testifies to the fact that at multicomponent balanced anesthesia with sevoflurane, patients without lung diseases have raised oxygen content in the venous blood. Reduction of the previously increased lactate level in the venous blood (1,3±0,3 mmol/l in comparison with 2,9±0,9mmol/l at 1 stage (ð <0,001)) during anesthesia also testifies to the sufficient body oxygenation.
Conclusions. Application in patients during endotracheal anesthesia of the oxygen concentration which when inhaled is equal to 35% results in oxygen pressure increase in the venous blood as well as in lactate level decrease testifying to the adequate oxygen supply to the organism tissues.
1. Lodato RF. Oxygen toxicity. Crit Care Clin. 1990; Jul;6(3):749–65.
2. Greif R, Lacyni S, RapfB, Hickle RS, Sessler DI. Supplemental oxygen reduces the incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesthesiology. 1999 Nov;91(5):1246–52.
3. Al-Niaimi A, Safdar N. Supplemental perioperative oxygen for reducing surgical site infection: a meta-analysis. J Eval Clin Pract. 2009 Apr;15(2):360–65.
4. Qadan M, Akca O, Mahid SS. Hornung CA, Polk HC Jr. Perioperative supplemental oxygen therapy and surgical site infection: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Surg. 2009 Apr;144(4):359-66; discussion 366–67.
5. Rothen HU. Oxygen: avoid too much of a good thing! Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2010 Jun;27(6):493–94.
6. Orhan-Sungur M, Kranke P, Sessler D, Apfel CD. Does supplemental oxygen reduce postoperative nausea and vomiting? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Anesth Analg. 2008 Jun;106(6):1733–38.
7. Brar MS, Brar SS, Dixon E. Perioperative supplemental oxygen in colorectal patients: a meta-analysis. J Surg Res. 2011 Apr;166(2):227–35.
8. Meyhoff CS, Wetterslev J, Jorgensen LN, Henneberg SW, Hogdall C, Lundvall L, Svendsen PE, Mollerup H, Lunn TH, Simonsen I, Martinsen KR, Pulawska T, Bundgaard L, Bugge L, Hansen EG, Riber C, Gocht-Jensen P, Walker LR, Bendtsen A, Johansson G, Skovgaard N, Helto K, Poukinski A, Korshin A, Walli A, Bulut M, Carlsson PS, Rodt SA, Lundbech LB, Rask H, Buch N, Perdawid SK, Reza J, Jensen KV, Carlsen CG, Jensen FS, Rasmussen LS. Effect of high perioperative oxygen fraction on surgical site infection and pulmonary complications after abdominal surgery: the PROXI randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2009 Oct 14;302(14):1543–50.
212026, Respublika Belarus', g. Mogilev, ul. B.-Biruli, d.12, UZ “Mogilevskaia oblastnaia bol'nitsa“, reanimatsionno-anesteziologicheskoe otdelenie,
Lipnitsky Artur Leonidovich
Marochkov A.V., doctor of medical sciences, a head of the resuscitation and anesthesia department of ME "Mogilev regional hospital."
Lipnitsky A.L., an anesthesiologist-resuscitator of the resuscitation and anesthesia department of ME "Mogilev regional hospital."
Tochilo S.A., an anesthesiologist-resuscitator of the resuscitation and anesthesia department of ME "Mogilev regional hospital."