This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 3
TO HELP THE PRACTITIONER
POST-THROMBOTIC DISEASE: DIAGNOSTICS, TREATMENT, PREVENTION
EE “Belarusian State Medical University”,
The Republic of Belarus
Post-thrombotic disease (PTD) influences negatively on patient health and have a major economic impact to health-care services. Being the sequence of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) due to partial or complete venous occlusion and valvular reﬂux leading to increasing of venous pressure in the microcirculatory vascular bed.
The inflammatory process at DVT can contribute to the resorption of blood thrombus and it causes the destruction of venous valves. The diagnosis of PTD is principally based on clinical manifestations such as feelings of heaviness or pain in the leg, swelling, itch, convulsions, trophic ulcer and lipodermatosclerosis. Villalta scale is considered to be the most preferable among some clinical scales or classification of PTD. Risk factors for PTD development include a proximal DVT and recurrent thrombosis as well as obesity and varicose veins, non-adequate anticoagulation therapy of DVT. The treatment of PTD is usually performed according to the same principles as chronic venous insufficiency with compression therapy application and lower extremities elevation position. The role of vasoactive drugs in prevention and treatment of PTD has been studied insufficiently. Surgery can be applied only to very limited number of patients. Further studies are desperately needed to find out the role of thrombolysis and thrombectomy which by this time seem to be promising treatment. For patients with DVT more attention should be given to prescribing and application of compression hosiery.
- Kahn SR, Partsch H, Vedantham S, Prandoni P, Kearon C. Definition of post-thrombotic syndrome of the leg for use in clinical investigations: a recommendation for standardization. J Thromb Haemost. 2009 May;7(5):879–83.
- Kolbach DN, Neumann HA, Prins MH. Definition of the post-thrombotic syndrome, differences between existing classifications. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2005 Oct;30(4):404–14.
- Kahn SR. Frequency and determinants of the postthrombotic syndrome after venous thromboembolism. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2006 Sep;12(5):299–303.
- Prandoni P, Lensing AW, Cogo A, Cuppini S, Villalta S, Carta M, Cattelan AM, Polistena P, Bernardi E, Prins MH. The long-term clinical course of acute deep venous thrombosis. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Jul 1;125(1):1–7.
- Schulman S, Lindmarker P, Holmstrom M, Larfars G, Carlsson A, Nicol P, Svensson E, Ljungberg B, Viering S, Nordlander S, Leijd B, Jahed K, Hjorth M, Linder O, Beckman M. Post-thrombotic syndrome, recurrence, and death 10 years after the first episode of venous thromboembolism treated with warfarin for 6 weeks or 6 months. J Thromb Haemost. 2006 Apr;4(4):734–42.
- Kahn SR, Hirsch A, Shrier I.Effect of postthrombotic syndrome on health-related quality of life after deep venous thrombosis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 May 27;162(10):1144–48.
- Kahn SR, Elman EA, Bornais C, Blostein M, Wells PS. Post-thrombotic syndrome, functional disability and quality of life after upper extremity deep venous thrombosis in adults. Thromb Haemost. 2005 Mar;93(3):499–502.
- Kahn SR, Shbaklo H, Lamping DL, Holcroft CA, Shrier I, Miron MJ, Roussin A, Desmarais S, Joyal F, Kassis J, Solymoss S, Desjardins L, Johri M, Ginsberg JS. Determinants of health-related quality of life during the 2 years following deep vein thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2008 Jul;6(7):1105–12.
- Bergqvist D, Jendteg S, Johansen L, Persson U, Odegaard K.Cost of long-term complications of deep venous thrombosis of the lower extremities: an analysis of a defined patient population in Sweden. Ann Intern Med. 1997 Mar 15;126(6):454–7.
- Phillips LJ 2nd, Sarkar R. Molecular characterization of post-thrombotic syndrome. J Vasc Surg. 2007 Jun;45 Suppl A:A116–22.
- Singh H, Masuda EM. Comparing short-term outcomes of femoral-popliteal and iliofemoral deep venous thrombosis: early lysis and development of reflux. Ann Vasc Surg. 2005 Jan;19(1):74–9.
- Meissner MH, Zierler BK, Bergelin RO, Chandler WL, Strandness DE Jr. Coagulation, fibrinolysis, and recanalization after acute deep venous thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 2002 Feb;35(2):278–85.
- Roumen-Klappe EM, den Heijer M, Janssen MC, van der Vleuten C, Thien T, Wollersheim H. The post-thrombotic syndrome: incidence and prognostic value of non-invasive venous examinations in a six-year follow-up study. Thromb Haemost. 2005 Oct;94(4):825–30.
- Prandoni P, Kahn SR. Post-thrombotic syndrome: prevalence, prognostication and need for progress. Br J Haematol. 2009 May;145(3):286–95.
- Shbaklo H, Holcroft CA, Kahn SR. Levels of inflammatory markers and the development of the post-thrombotic syndrome. Thromb Haemost. 2009 Mar;101(3):505–12.
- Roumen-Klappe EM, Janssen MC, Van Rossum J, Holewijn S, Van Bokhoven MM, Kaasjager K, Wollersheim H, Den Heijer M. Inflammation in deep vein thrombosis and the development of post-thrombotic syndrome: a prospective study. J Thromb Haemost. 2009 Apr;7(4):582–87.
- Eklof B, Rutherford RB, Bergan JJ, Carpentier PH, Gloviczki P, Kistner RL, Meissner MH, Moneta GL, Myers K, Padberg FT, Perrin M, Ruckley CV, Smith PC, Wakefield TW. Revision of the CEAP classification for chronic venous disorders: consensus statement. J Vasc Surg. 2004 Dec;40(6):1248–52.
- Vasquez MA, Munschauer CE. Venous Clinical Severity Score and quality-of-life assessment tools: application to vein practice. Phlebology. 2008;23(6):259–75.
- Brandjes DP, Buller HR, Heijboer H, Huisman MV, de Rijk M, Jagt H, ten Cate JW. Randomised trial of effect of compression stockings in patients with symptomatic proximal-vein thrombosis. Lancet. 1997 Mar 15;349(9054):759–62.
- Ginsberg JS, Turkstra F, Buller HR, MacKinnon B, Magier D, Hirsh J. Postthrombotic syndrome after hip or knee arthroplasty: a crosssectional study. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Mar 13;160(5):669–72.
- Kahn SR.Measurement properties of the Villalta scale to define and classify the severity of the post-thrombotic syndrome. J Thromb Haemost. 2009 May;7(5):884–88.
- Villalta S, Bagella P, Piccioloi A, Lensing A, Prins M, Prandoni P. Assessment of validity and reproducibility. Haemostasis 1994;24: p158a .
- Tick LW, Kramer MH, Rosendaal FR, Faber WR, Doggen CJ. Risk factors for post-thrombotic syndrome in patients with a first deep venous thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2008 Dec;6(12):2075–81.
- van Dongen CJ, Prandoni P, Frulla M, Marchiori A, Prins MH, Hutten BA. Relation between quality of anticoagulant treatment and the development of the postthrombotic syndrome. J Thromb Haemost. 2005 May;3(5):939–42.
- Stain M, Schonauer V, Minar E, Bialonczyk C, Hirschl M, Weltermann A, Kyrle PA, Eichinger S. The post-thrombotic syndrome: risk factors and impact on the course of thrombotic disease. J Thromb Haemost. 2005 Dec;3(12):2671–76.
- Ageno W, Piantanida E, Dentali F, Steidl L, Mera V, Squizzato A, Marchesi C, Venco A. Body mass index is associated with the development of the post-thrombotic syndrome. Thromb Haemost. 2003 Feb;89(2):305–9.
- Kahn SR. How I treat postthrombotic syndrome. Blood. 2009 Nov 19;114(21):4624–31.
- Spiezia L, Campello E, Giolo E, Villalta S, Prandoni P. Thrombophilia and the risk of post-thrombotic syndrome: retrospective cohort observation. J Thromb Haemost. 2010 Jan;8(1):211–13.
- Kahn SR, Shrier I, Julian JA, Ducruet T, Arsenault L, Miron MJ, Roussin A, Desmarais S, Joyal F, Kassis J, Solymoss S, Desjardins L, Lamping DL, Johri M, Ginsberg JS. Determinants and time course of the postthrombotic syndrome after acute deep venous thrombosis. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Nov 18;149(10):698–707.
- Kahn SR. Post-thrombotic syndrome after deep venous thrombosis: risk factors, prevention, and therapeutic options. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2009 Jul;7(7):433–35.
- Henke P. Prevention and treatment of the postthrombotic syndrome. J Vasc Surg. 2010 Nov;52(5 Suppl):21S–28S.
- Kolbach DN, Sandbrink MW, Neumann HA, Prins MH. Compression therapy for treating stage I and II (Widmer) post-thrombotic syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD004177
- Ginsberg JS, Magier D, Mackinnon B, Gent M, Hirsh J. Intermittent compression units for severe post-phlebitic syndrome: a randomized crossover study. CMAJ. 1999 May 4;160(9):1303–6.
- O'Donnell MJ, McRae S, Kahn SR, Julian JA, Kearon C, Mackinnon B, Magier D, Strulovich C, Lyons T, Robinson S, Hirsh J, Ginsberg JS. Evaluation of a venous-return assist device to treat severe post-thrombotic syndrome (VENOPTS). A randomized controlled trial. Thromb Haemost. 2008 Mar;99(3):623–29.
- Ramelet AA. Daflon 500 mg: symptoms and edema clinical update. Angiology. 2005 Sep-Oct;56 Suppl 1:S25–32.
- Meissner MH, Eklof B, Smith PC, Dalsing MC, DePalma RG, Gloviczki P, Moneta G, Neglen P, O' Donnell T, Partsch H, Raju S. Secondary chronic venous disorders. J Vasc Surg. 2007 Dec;46 Suppl S:68S–83S. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2007.08.048.
- Falanga V, Fujitani RM, Diaz C, Hunter G, Jorizzo J, Lawrence PF, Lee BY, Menzoian JO, Tretbar LL, Holloway GA, Hoballah J, Seabrook GR, McMillan DE, Wolf W. Systemic treatment of venous leg ulcers with high doses of pentoxifylline: efficacy in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Wound Repair Regen. 1999 Jul-Aug;7(4):208–13.
- Raju S, Fredericks RK, Neglen PN, Bass JD. Durability of venous valve reconstruction techniques for "primary" and postthrombotic reflux. J Vasc Surg. 1996 Feb;23(2):357-66.
- Maleti O, Lugli M. Neovalve construction in postthrombotic syndrome. J Vasc Surg. 2006 Apr;43(4):794–9.
- Lugli M, Guerzoni S, Garofalo M, Smedile G, Maleti O. Neovalve construction in deep venous incompetence. J Vasc Surg. 2009 Jan;49(1):156-62, 162.e1-2.
- Gloviczki P. Subfascial endoscopic perforator vein surgery: indications and results. Vasc Med. 1999;4(3):173–80.
- Delis KT, Bjarnason H, Wennberg PW, Rooke TW, Gloviczki P. Successful iliac vein and inferior vena cava stenting ameliorates venous claudication and improves venous outflow, calf muscle pump function, and clinical status in post-thrombotic syndrome. Ann Surg. 2007 Jan;245(1):130–9.
- Jackson LS, Wang XJ, Dudrick SJ, Gersten GD. Catheter-directed thrombolysis and/or thrombectomy with selective endovascular stenting as alternatives to systemic anticoagulation for treatment of acute deep vein thrombosis. Am J Surg. 2005 Dec;190(6):864–8.
- Watson LI, Armon MP. Thrombolysis for acute deep vein thrombosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004 Oct 18;(4):CD002783.
- Kearon C, Kahn SR, Agnelli G, Goldhaber S, Raskob GE, Comerota AJ; American College of Chest Physicians. Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008 Jun;133(6 Suppl):454S-545S.
- Prandoni P, Lensing AW, Prins MH, Frulla M, Marchiori A, Bernardi E, Tormene D, Mosena L, Pagnan A, Girolami A Below-knee elastic compression stockings to prevent the post-thrombotic syndrome: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Aug 17;141(4):249–56.
- Kolbach DN, Sandbrink MW, Hamulyak K, Neumann HA, Prins MH. Non-pharmaceutical measures for prevention of post-thrombotic syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD004174.
- Aschwanden M, Jeanneret C, Koller MT, Thalhammer C, Bucher HC, Jaeger KA. Effect of prolonged treatment with compression stockings to prevent post-thrombotic sequelae: a randomized controlled trial. J Vasc Surg. 2008 May;47(5):1015–21.
- Hill J, Treasure T. Reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism in patients admitted to hospital: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ. 2010 Jan 27;340:c95.
220116, Respublika Belarus', g. Minsk, pr-t Dzerzhinskogo, d. 83, UO "Belorusskii Gosudarstvennyi Meditsinskii universitet", 2-ia kafedra khirurgicheskikh boleznei,
Khryshchanovich Vladimir Ianovich
Khryshchanovich V.J. PhD, an associate professor of the 2nd chair of surgical diseases of EE “Belarusian State Medical University”.