This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 3
B.S. SUKOVATYKH, Y.I. VEDENEV, A.O. RODIONOV
COMPARATIVE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE WOUND PROCESS IN THE ARTERIAL WALL AFTER IMPLANTATION OF SYNTHETIC AND BIOLOGICAL ENDOPROSTHESES
SBEE HPE “Kursk State Medical University”,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To compare tissue reaction of an arterial wall to implantation of synthetic and biological endoprostheses.
Methods. The analysis of the experiment study on 30 rabbits divided into one intact group numbering 6 animals and two trial groups numbering 12 animals in each one has been carried out. In the first group the animals had implantation of the synthetic polytetraftorethylene prosthesis on the aortic wall, whereas a biological vascular prosthesis made from the bovine internal chest arteries was implanted into the rabbit’s aortic wall in the second group. The areas of the abdominal aorta together with the implanted endoprostheses were subjected to the histological study on the 3, 7, 14, 21, 30 è 60 days after the operation. The preparations were studied under light microscope after being stained with hematoxylin-eosin and on Van Gieson. Morphometric study to determine the proportion of cellular composition of the connective tissue was performed.
Results. Both synthetic and biological grafts at implantation caused an acute inflammatory reaction within 7 days, which was more expressed under the biological graft on the 3rd day (3,2 folds) and on the 7th day – 1,2 folds. 2 weeks after the implantation the inflammatory reaction was stopped and reparative processes of the new granulated tissue formation began to prevail in arterial wall. Faster formation of the connective tissue capsule under the synthetic graft was registered later. On the 30th day a mature connective tissue is formed and the capsular formation processes completes on the 60th day. On the 30th day of experiment the connective tissue capsule under the biological graft was 1,8 folds thinner, on the 60th day – 3,3 folds thinner than under the synthetic graft. The connective tissue capsule surrounded the synthetic vascular prosthesis contained more cellular elements whereas the fibrous structures prevail surrounded the biological prosthesis.
Conclusions. The tissue reaction of the arterial wall to the implantation of the biological graft is less expressed than to the implantation of the synthetic graft.
- Pokrovskii AV, red. Klinicheskaia angiologiia [Clinical angiology]: v 2 t. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 2004;1. 808 p.
- Pokrovskii AV, Dan VI, Chupin AV. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie kriticheskoi ishemii nizhnikh konechnostei [Surgical treatment of critical ischemia of lower limbs]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 1998;(2):198–99.
- Bokeriia LA, Veretenin VA, Gorodkov AIu, Dobrova NB. Novye otechestvennye sosudistye protezy Vitaflon iz poristogo politetraftoretilena [New native vascular grafts Vitaflon made of porous polytetrafluoroethylene]. Grud i Serdech-Sosud Khirurgiia. 1996;(1):4–9.
- Gavrilenko AV, Skrylev SI, Kuzubova EA. Sovremennye vozmozhnosti i perspektivy khirurgicheskogo lecheniia bol'nykh s kriticheskoi ishemiei nizhnikh konechnostei [Modern possibilities and perspectives of the surgical treatment of patients with critical ischemia of the lower limbs]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 1998;8(4):80–86.
- Pokrovskii AV, Dan VN, Zotikov AE, Chupin AV, Shubin AA, Chikharev MV. Otdalennye rezul'taty i pokazaniia k ispol'zovaniiu proteza Gore-Tex v bedrenno-podkolennoi pozitsii u bol'nykh s ateroskleroticheskim porazheniem arterii nizhnikh konechnostei [Long-term results and indications for the applicatiopn of the Gore-Tex prosthesis in the femoral-popliteal position in patients with atherosclerotic lesions of the arteries of the lower limbs]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2004;10(2):91–98.
- Pokrovskii AV, Dan VN, Zotikov AE, Chupin AV, Shubin AA, Bogatov IuP, Tedeev AK. Bedrenno-podkolennoe shuntirovanie vyshe shcheli kolennogo sustava protezom PTFE: vybor diametra proteza [PTFE prosthetic above-knee femoral-popliteal bypass: the choice of prosthesis diameter]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2007;13(3):149–52.
- Bradbury AW, Adam DJ, Bell J, Forbes JF, Fowkes FG, Gillespie I, Ruckley CV, Raab GM. Bypass versus Angioplasty in Severe Ischaemia of the Leg (BASIL) trial: Analysis of amputation free and overall survival by treatment received. J Vasc Surg. 2010 May;51 (5 Suppl):18–31.
- Conte MS. Bypass versus Angioplasty in Severe Ischaemia of the Leg (BASIL) and the (hoped for) dawn of evidence-based treatment for advanced limb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51(5 Suppl):69–75.
- Hasson JE, Newton WD, Waltman AC, Fallon JT, Brewster DC, Darling RC, Abbott WM. Mural degeneration in the glutaraldehyde tanned umbilical vein graft. J Vasc Surg. 1986 Sep;4(3):243–45.
- Karkow WS, Cranley JJ, Cranley RD, Hafner CD, Ruoff BA. Extended study of aneurysm formation in umbilical grafts. J Vasc Surg. 1986 Nov;4(5):486–92.
- Dardik H, Wengerter K, Qin F, Pangilinan A, Silvestri F, Wolodiger F, Kahn M, Sussman B, Ibrahim IM. Comparative decades of experience with glutaraldehyde-tanned human umbilical cord vein graft for lower extremity revasculaization: an analysis of 1275 cases. J Vasc Surg. 2002 Jan;35(1):64–71.
- Barbarash LS, Ivanov SV, Zhuravleva IIu, Anufriev AI, Kazachek IaV, Kudriavtseva IuA, Zinets MG. 12 letnii opyt istol'zovaniiabioprotezov dlia zameshcheniiainfraingvinal'nykh arterii [12 years experience of bio-prostheses application to replace the infrainguinal arteries]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2006;6(3):91–97.
- Safonov VA, Ganichev AF, Kim IN, Khudashov VG, Iakovlev DO, Altarev AS, Luk'ianenko MIu. Opyt primeneniia sosudistykh bioprotezov Kemangioprotez v rekonstruktivnoi khirurgii magistral'nykh arterii nizhnikh konechnostei [Experience of vascular KemAngioprosthesis bioprosthesis application in reconstructive surgery of the main arteries of the lower limbs]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia.2009;15(2):103–106.
- Gusinskii AV, Sedov, VM Serebrianskii IuB, Lebedev LV, Mikhailov IV, Shlomin VV, Vorontsov MA. Rezul'taty ispol'zovaniia otechestvennykh sosudistykh protezov «Ekoflon» [The results of application of Ecoflon native vascular prostheses]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2002;161(1):11–15.
- Barbarash LS, Burkov NN, Kudriavtseva IuA, Anufriev AI, Zhuravleva IIu. Sravnitel'nyi analiz primeneniia bioprotezov arterii s razlichnoi antitromboticheskoi modifikatsiei [Comparative analysis of arterial bioprostheses use with different antithrombotic modification]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2012;(2):21–25.
305041, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia, g. Kursk, ul. K. Marksa, d. 3, GBOU VPO "Kurskii Gosudarstvennyi meditsinskii universitet", kafedra obshchei khirurgii,
Sukovatykh Boris Semenovich
Sukovatykh B.S. MD, professor, a head of the general surgery chair of SBEE HPE “Kursk State Medical University”.
Vedenev Y.I. A head of the pathoanatomical
department of the Regional budget establishment of health care of the city clinical emergency hospital of Kursk.
Rodionov A.O. An intramural post-graduate student of the general surgery chair of SBEE HPE “Kursk State Medical University”.