This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 3
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
S.N. EROSHKIN1, A.P. KUTKO2, V.P. BULAVKIN1
EFFICACY OF LOWER LIMBS REVASCULARIZATION METHODS IN PATIENTS WITH PURULENT-NECROTIC FORMS OF DIABETIC FOOT SYNDROME
EE “Vitebsk State Medical University” 1,
ME “Vitebsk Regional Clinical Hospital” 2,
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To compare the short-term results of treatment of patients with purulent-necrotic forms of diabetic foot syndrome (DFS) by using various methods of the peripheral blood flow improvement in the limbs (medical, direct and indirect revascularization).
Methods. Analysis of data on the treatment of 100 patients with purulent-necrotic forms of diabetic foot syndrome (DFS) is presented; the following various types of revascularization were applied: medical one (n=47); percutaneous balloon angioplasty (n=35); a revascularizating osteotrepanation of the tibia using the method of F.N. Zusmanovich (n=18). Critical ischemia of the lower limb was confirmed by ultrasound duplex results of angioscaning and angiography. To assess impact of various revascularization methods on the lower limb blood supply the partial pressure of oxygen, carbon dioxide and lactate content in the venous blood of the affected limb was determined; dermal thermometry was conducted. The main clinical criteria of efficacy were considered to be the trophic ulcers closure, the number of the resection interventions on the foot and the number of amputations performed above the talocrural joint gap.
Results. Statistically reliable enhancement of the Doppler ultrasound parameters in relation to the preoperative level was obtained only after the percutaneous balloon angioplasty (three investigated groups). Reduction of lactate, increase of the oxygen partial pressure in the venous blood of the limb as well as increase of dermal temperature in the limb after revascularization was registered both after the percutaneous balloon angioplasty and after the revascularizating osteotrepanation. No reliable changes of the given parameters were obtained after the conservative treatment. The percentage of amputations performed in the recent period above the talocrural joint gap after medical revascularization made up 19,1%, after the percutaneous balloon angioplasty – 2,8% and after the revascularizating osteotrepanation – 11,1%.
Conclusions. Efficacy of the conservative treatment aimed to enhancement of the blood flow in the lower limb at DFS remains low. The percutaneous balloon angioplasty is considered to be the optimal method of the limb revascularization at the purulent-necrotic forms of DFS. In cases of impossibility to perform the percutaneous balloon angioplasty due to peculiarities of the vascular bed lesions, the revascularizating osteotrepanation is justified with the aim of limb revascularization.
- Jorgneskog G. Why critical limb ischemia criteria are not applicable to diabetic foot and what the consequences are. Scand J Surg. 2012;101(2):111–18.
- Glukhov AA, Zuikova AA, Petrova TN, Andreev AA, Ostroushko AP. Kliniko-patogeneticheskoe obosnovanie primeneniia antimikoticheskikh sredstv v kompleksnom lechenii patsientov s sindromom diabeticheskoi stopy [Clinical and pathogenetic substantiation of antifungal agents application in the complex treatment of patients with diabetic foot syndrome ]. Vestn Eksperim i Klin Khirurgii. 2012;V(4):639–43.
- Bubnova NA, Suprun KS, Shatil' MA, Budylev AS. Lechenie sindroma diabeticheskoi stopy v usloviiakh mnogoprofil'nogo statsionara [Treatment of diabetic foot syndrome in a multidisciplinary hospital]. Vestn Sankt-Peterb un-ta. 2008;11(4):119–24.
- Faglia E, Clerici G, Losa S, Tavano D, Caminiti M, Miramonti M, Somalvico F, Airoldi F. Limb revascularization feasibility in diabetic patients with critical limb ischemia: results from a cohort of 344 consecutive unselected diabetic patients evaluated in 2009. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012 Mar;95(3):364–71.
- Conte MS. Diabetic revascularization: endovascular versus open bypass--do we have the answer? Semin Vasc Surg. 2012 Jun;25(2):108–14. Review.
- Iida O, Soga Y, Kawasaki D, Hirano K, Yamaoka T, Suzuki K, Miyashita Y, Yokoi H, Takahara M, Uematsu M. Angiographic restenosis and its clinical impact after infrapopliteal angioplasty. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012 Oct;44(4):425–31.
- Schamp KB, Meerwaldt R, Reijnen MM, Geelkerken RH, Zeebregts CJ. The ongoing battle between infrapopliteal angioplasty and bypass surgery for critical limb ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2012 Nov;26(8):1145–53.
- Ignatovich IN, Kondratenko GG, Mikhailova NM, Kornievich SN. Novyi podkhod k lecheniiu patsientov s gnoino-nekroticheskimi porazheniiami stop vsledstvie kriticheskoi ishemii pri sindrome diabeticheskoi stopy [A new approach to the treatment of patients with pyonecrotic lesions caused by critical limb ischemia in diabetic foot]. Med Zhurn. 2012;(2):58–61.
- Ignatovich IN, Kondratenko GG, Kornievich SN, Taganovich DA, Shepel'kevich AP, Khrapov IM, Sergeev GA, Mikhailova NM. Angiorekonstruktsii i rezektsionnye operatsii na stope v lechenii kriticheskoi ishemii pri sindrome diabeticheskoi stopy [Angiorecon-struction and resection in the treatment of critical limb ischemia in diabetic foot]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2010;18(4):49–56.
- Chupin AV. Arterial'nye troficheskie iazvy nizhnikh konechnostei [Arterial trophic ulcers
- of lower extemities]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2002;(6):35–41.
- Chur NN, Grishin IN. Sindrom diabeticheskoi stopy [Diabetic foot syndrome]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2003;(4):42–46.
- Shor NA, Chumak IuF, Retska VP, Zhukov OA. Revaskuliarizatsiia nizhnikh konechnostei pri ishemicheskoi forme diabeticheskoi stopy s gnoino¬nekroticheskimi porazheniiami tkanei [Revascularization of diabetic critical ischemia of lower limbs with pyonecrotic tissues]. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2004; 10(4):85–87.
- Zusmanovich FN. 5-ti letnii opyt primeneniia revaskuliariziruiushchei osteotrepanatsii pri okkliuziruiushchikh zabolevaniiakh arterii konechnostei [5 years experience of revascularizing osteotrepanation in occlusive arterial disease of the extremities]. Grudnaia i Serdech-Sosud Khirurgiia.1994;(5):50–53.
210023, Respublika Belarus', g. Vitebsk, pr-t Frunze, d. 27, UO "Vitebskii gosudarstvennyi ordena Druzhby narodom meditsinskii universitet", kafedra gospital'noi khirurgii s kursami urologii i detskoi khirurgii,
Eroshkin Sergei Nikolaevich
Eroshkin SN. Assistant of the hospital surgery chair with the courses of urology and pediatric surgery of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University”.
Kutko AP. A head of the angiography study of ME “Vitebsk regional clinical hospital”.
Bulavkin VP. PhD, associate professor of surgery chair of the faculty of training and retraining of the staff of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University”.