This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2014 Vol. 22 No 1
V.B. BOGDANOVICH, N.G. SHEBUSHEV, V.V. ANICHKIN, V.V. MARTINUCK
HYDATID CYST OF THE LEFT ADRENAL GLAND: DIFFICULTIES OF PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSTICS AND SURGICAL TREATMENT
EE “Gomel State Medical University”,
The Republic of Belarus
This article deals with the case of a rare surgical pathology – a hydatid cyst of the left adrenal gland. The specific features and results of preoperative clinical and instrumental examination are presented in the article. The patient underwent a planned operation (adrenalectomy) from the left and pericystectomy of the hydatid cyst of the left adrenal gland. The diagnosis was confirmed after a morphological research of the removed macropreparation. The conducted hormonal research showed that parasitic invasion into the left adrenal gland caused to the subclinical hypercorticoidism. It was also proved by the fall of blood pressure during the first hours after the removal of the cyst. The control examination was fulfilled in a year and no recurrence signs of the echinococcosis have been detected.
On the basis of the literature analysis the data on epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis and diagnostic methods of this pathology are shown. Up to the present no observations on hormonal research in patients with the hydatid cysts of the adrenal glands was found in the literature. The given observation is of high interest due to the rareness of that kind of echinococcosis localization and therefore there are some diagnostic difficulties during the preoperative period. Surgical treatment of patients suffering from the hydatid cysts of the adrenal glands should be conducted in the specialized centers with the available current methods of examination, modern equipment and highly qualified personnel.
- Vetshev PS, Musaev GKh. Ekhinokokkoz: sovremennyi vzgliad na sostoianie problemy [Echinococcosis: a current view on the problem]. Annaly Khirurg Gepatol. 2006;(1)11:111–17.
- Eckert J, Deplazes P. Biological, epidemiological, and clinical aspects of echinococcosis, a zoonosis of increasing concern. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004 Jan;17(1):107–35.
- El Idrissi Dafali A, Dahami Z, Zerouali NO. Hydatid cyst of the adrenal gland. A case report. Ann Urol (Paris). 2002 Mar;36(2):99–103.
- Kharnas SS, red. Endokrinnaia khirurgiia [Endocrine surgery]: ruk. dlia vrachei. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2010. 496 p.
- Singh N, George RK, Gupta SK, Gupta A, Agarwal A. Giant adrenal cyst presenting as a diagnostic dilemma: a case report. Int Surg. 2005 Apr-Jun;90(2):78–80.
- El-Hefnawy AS, El Garba M, Osman Y, Eraky I, El Mekresh M, Ibrahim el-H. Surgical management of adrenal cysts: single-institution experience. BJU Int. 2009 Sep;104(6):847–50
246050, Respublika Belarus', g. Gomel', ul. Lange, d. 5, UO «Gomel'skii gosudarstvennyi meditsinskii universitet», kafedra khirurgicheskikh boleznei ¹3 s kursom serdechno-sosudistoi khirurgii,
e-mail: vas.martinuck @ yandex.ru,
Martinuck Vasily Vladimirovich
Bogdanovich V.B. PhD, an associate professor of the surgical diseases chair ¹3 with the course of the cardiovascular surgery of EE “Gomel State Medical University”.
Shebushev N.G. PhD, an associate professor, a head of the surgical diseases chair ¹3 with the course of the cardiovascular surgery of EE “Gomel State Medical University”.
Anichkin V.V. MD, professor of the surgical diseases chair ¹3 with the course of the cardiovascular surgery of EE “Gomel State Medical University”.
Martinuck V.V. An assistant of the surgical diseases chair ¹3 with the course of the cardiovascular surgery of EE “Gomel State Medical University”.