This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2014 Vol. 22 No 4
E.I. SEMIONKIN, N.V. YAKOVLEVA, E.P. KULIKOV
PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE OF PATIENTS WITH COLON CANCER AT SURGICAL TREATMENT
SBEE HPE “Ryazan State Medical University named after Academician I.P. Pavlov”,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study the psychological profile of patients with colon cancer (CC) at surgical treatment taking into consideration the gender peculiarities.
Methods. The patients (n=181) with colon cancer have been examined. All the patients have been operated on. The psycho-physiological state and psychodynamic personality traits have been assessed with the following methods: a test that could be used to diagnose the health, activity and mood (HAM test), test of self-esteem by Dembo-Rubinstein, Lüscher color test, à manifest anxiety scale (MAS), standardized diagnostic interview “Individual perception of health state” and heart rate variability test.
Results. Personality traits of patients are characterized by introversion, distortion of self-rated health, stigmatization of life course. A large number of introverts are characterized by a specific attitude towards to the disease. This type of reaction is associated with ”feelings inside”, the patients can not splash out all the accumulated emotions caused to a high neuro-mental stress. Psycho-emotional stress causes reconstruction of autonomic nervous system functioning towards sympathetic system activation. The suppression of basic necessities (rejected basic colors) was observed in the most patients prior and after operation. It characterizes a high anxiety level and less effective compensating behavior.
Some of the gender differences have been revealed which are as follows: women show a higher anxiety level, low spirits, as well as a negative attitude towards life. After the operation a probability of sexual neuroses, fits of anger, nervous exhaustion and cardiovascular disorders are observed in women.
Conclusions. The patients with colon cancer are considered to be in a state of psychological disadaptation with the following specific peculiarities: introversion, protective distortion of self-rated health, a heightened anxiety and a high level of stress, predominance of sympathetic autonomic regulation. Some gender differences have been detected: women are more prone to stress-related anxiety, mood disorders, depressive states, as well as self-assessment of various aspects of life are lower in women and they have more critical attitude toward themselves and more doubts about a favorable clinical outcome. The patients suffered from colon cancer should be provided with professional clinical, psychological and psychotherapeutic care.
- Wolff BG, Pemberton JH, Wexner SD. Fleshman JW, ed. The ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. New York, USA: Springer Science; Businnes Media, 2007. 810 p.
- Chulkova VA, Pestereva EV. Dushevnyi mir onkologicheskogo bol'nogo [Mental state of oncological patient]. Vopr Onkologii. 2010;56(1):83–87.
- Garcia-Solier R, Sanchez-Arana Moreno R, Rueda-Villar T, Ruiz-Doblado T. Psychological and psychiatric assistance in palliative care (IV): Ten years of a consultation-liaison program. Anales de Psiquiatria. 2008 Sep; 24(5):191–96.
- Baillargeon J, Kuo YF, Lin YL, Raji MA, Singh A, Goodwin JS. Effect of mental disorders on diagnosis, treatment, and survival of older adults with colon cancer. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Jul;59(7):1268–73.
- Volodin BIu, Petrov SS, Kulikov EP, Petrov DS. Issledovanie motivatsionnoi struktury lichnosti depressivnykh i onkologicheskikh patsientov [The study of motivational structure of depressive and oncological patients]. Ros Med - Biol Vestn im Akad IP Pavlova. 2004;(3-4):12–17.
- Berezantsev A. Monasypova L. Spirtus A. Strazhev S. Psikhicheskoe zdorov'e i kachestvo zhizni zhenshchin, stradaiushchikh rakom molochnoi zhelezy [Mental health and quality of life of women with breast cancer]. Vrach. 2010;(8):54–58.
- Gross AL, Gallo JJ, Eaton WW. Depression and cancer risk: 24 years of follow-up of the Baltimore Epidemiologic Catchment Area sample. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Feb;21(2):191–99.
- Aver'ianova SV. Psikhologicheskie osobennosti zhenshchin, bol'nykh kolorektal'nym rakom [Psychological characteristics of women with colorectal cancer]. Ros Med Zhurn. 2012;(3):27–29.
- Doskin VA, Lavrent'eva NA, Miroshnikov MP, Sharai VB. Test differentsirovannoi samootsenki funktsional'nogo sostoianiia [Test of differentiated self-assessment of functional state]. Vopr Psikhologii. 1973;(6):141–45.
- Rubinshtein SIa. Eksperimental'nye metodiki patopsikhologii i opyt primeneniia ikh v klinike [Experimental methods of psychopathology and experience in the hospital]. Moscow, SSSR: Meditsina; 1970. 160 p.
- Khanin IuL. Kratkoe rukovodstvo k primeneniiu shkaly reaktivnoi i lichnostnoi trevozhnosti Ch.D. Spilbergera [A Brief Guide to the application of the scale of reactive and personal anxiety BH Spielberger]. Luchshie psikhologicheskie testy dlia profotbora i proforientatsii: opisanie i rukovodstvo k ispol'zovaniiu. Leningrad, RF: LNIIFK; 1992. 318 p.
- Dzhons VV. Prakticheskoe rukovodstvo k testu Liushera [Practical guide to Lusher test]. Kishinev, Moldova: Periodika; 1990. 174 p.
- Iakovleva NV. Vital'naia metakompetentnost' lichnosti: teoriia i praktika psikhologicheskikh issledovanii zdorov'ia [Vital metacompetence of the person: the theory and practice of psychological health research]. Riazan', RF: Riazan': Polinom, 2012. 285 p.
- Baevskii RM, Kirillov OI, Kletskin SZ. Matematicheskii analiz izmenenii serdechnogo ritma pri stresse [Mathematical analysis of heart rate variability in stress]. Moscow, RF: Nauka; 1984. 221 p.
- Petrov VI, Potapov AS, Inozemtsev AV. Integral'naia otsenka funktsional'nogo sostoianiia vegetativnoi nervnoi sistemy [Integral assessment of the functional state of the autonomic nervous system]. Vestn Ros AMN. 2004;(4):14–18.
390039, Rossiyskaya Federatsiya, g. Ryazan, ul. Internatsionalnaya d. 3 A, GBOU VPO “Ryazanskiy meditsinskiy universitet”, kafedra fakultetskoy khirurgii s kursom anesteziologii i reanimatologii,
Semionkin Evgeniy Ivanovich
Semionkin E.I. PhD, an associate professor of the faculty surgery chair with the course of anesthesia and reanimation of SBEE HPE “Ryazan Medical University”.
Yakovleva N.V. PhD, an associate professor, a head of the general psychology chair with the course of pedagogy of SBEE HPE “Ryazan Medical University”.
Kulikov E.P. MD, professor, a head of the oncology chair with the course of radiation diagnostics of SBEE HPE “Ryazan Medical University”.