This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 1
Y.V. SLABADZIN, L.I. NIKITINA, I.I. PAKLAK-VOLSKY, S.V. GNIPEL, M.P. RUDENKOV, I.I. PRIBUSHENA
SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre of the Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus", Minsk,
The Republic of Belarus
A clinical case of gallstone ileus accompanied by cholecystoduodenal fistula and tactics of treatment of this pathology in a certain clinical situation is described in the article.
A 74-year-old woman was hospitalized to the center with the diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis, exacerbation; complaints of moderate pains in the epigastrium and paraumbilical area, nausea and single plentiful vomiting within one day. After instrumental examination including the abdominal ultrasound, fibrogastroduodenoscopy, abdominal CT scan the diagnosis of cholecystoduodenal fistula and gallstone ileus was made. In operative intervention performance of laparoscopy revealed the site of obstruction of the small intestine. Considering the age of the patient and the accompanying pathology as well as the absence of duodenal and gallbladder inflammation, only enterolithotomy was done. Throughout the postoperative period no complications were observed. The patient was discharged from the hospital in a satisfactory condition on the 6th day.
This case report demonstrates an unusual complication of cholelithiasis: cholecystoduodenal fistula with the formation of gallstone ileus. Certain attention at pathology is paid to surgical volume in different groups of patients. One-stage elimination of both ileus and cholecystoduodenal fistula with a cholecystectomy is carried out only in stable patients without severe accompanying pathology. In case of pathology described in this report, it is necessary to perform only enterolithotomy preferably by invasive technique and only in the delayed period depending on the condition of the patient the surgeon should decide on implementation of the second stage – cholecystectomy and elimination of cholecystoduodenal fistula.
- Kasahara Y, Umemura H, Shiraha S, Kuyama T, Sakata K, Kubota H. Gallstone ileus. Review of 112 patients in the Japanese literature. Am J Surg. 1980 Sep;140(3):437-40.
- Reisner RM, Cohen JR. Gallstone ileus: a review of 1001 reported cases. Am Surg. 1994 Jun;60(6):441-46.
- Turnage RH, Heldmann . Intestinal Obstruction. In: Feldman M, Friedman LS, Brandt LJ, eds , editors. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2010:2105-22.
- Rodríguez HL, Codina CA, Gironés VJ, Roig GJ, Figa FM, et al. Gallstone Ileus: results of analysis of a series of 40 patients. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2001 Dec;24(10):489-94.
- Nuno-Guzmano CM, Arroniz-Jauregui J, Moreno-Perez PA, Chavez-Solis EA, Esparza-Arias N, Hernandez-Gonzalez CI. Gallstone ileus: One-stage surgery in a patient with intermittent obstruction. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2010 May 27;2(5):172-76.
- Glenn F, Reed C, Grafe WR. Biliary enteric fistula. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1981 Oct;153(4):527-31.
- Nakao A, Okamoto Y, Sunami M, Fujita T, Tsuji T. The oldest patient with gallstone ileus: report of a case and review of 176 cases in Japan. Kurume Med J. 2008;55(1-2):29-33.
- Ayantunde AA, Agrawal A. Gallstone ileus: diagnosis and management. World J Surg. 2007 Jun;31(6):1292-97.
- Lassandro F, Romano S, Ragozzino A, Rossi G, Valente T, Ferrara I, Romano L, Grassi R. Role of helical CT in diagnosis of gallstone ileus and related conditions. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005 Nov;185(5):1159-65.
- Clavien PA, Richon J, Burgan S, Rohner A. Gallstone ileus. Br J Surg. 1990 Jul;77(7):737-42.
- Lassandro F, Gagliardi N, Scuderi M, Pinto A, Gatta G, Mazzeo R. Gallstone ileus analysis of radiological findings in 27 patients. Eur J Radiol. 2004 Apr;50(1):23-29.
- Doogue MP, Choong CK, Frizelle FA. Recurrent gallstone ileus: underestimated. Aust N Z J Surg. 1998 Nov;68(11):755-56.
- Zuegel N, Hehl A, Lindemann F, Witte J. Advantages of one-stage repair in case of gallstone ileus. Hepatogastroenterology. 1997 Jan-Feb;44(13):59-62.
- Lasson A, Lorén I, Nilsson A, Nirhov N, Nilsson P. Ultrasonography in gallstone ileus: a diagnostic challenge. Eur J Surg. 1995 Apr;161(4):259-63.
- Rodríguez-Sanjuán JC, Casado F, Fernandez MJ, Morales DJ, Naranjo A. Cholecystectomy and fistula closure versus enterolithotomy alone in gallstone ileus. Br J Surg. 1997 May;84(5):634-37.
220035, Respublika Belarus,
g. Minsk, ul. Krasnoarmeyskaya, d. 10,
GU "Respublikanskiy klinicheskiy meditsinskiy tsentr".
Upravleniya delami Prezidenta Respubliki Belarus, khirurgicheskoe otdelenie statsionara,
tel. office: +375 017 226-05-36,
Slobodin Yuriy Valerevich
Slabadzin Y.V. PhD, a head of the surgical unit of the in-patient department of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
Nikitina L.I. A head of the radiology diagnostics unit of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
Paklak-Volsky I.I. A surgeon of the surgical unit of the in-patient department of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
Gnipel S.V. A physician of the radiology diagnostics unit of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
Rudenkov M.P. A surgeon of the surgical unit of the in-patient department of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
Pribushena I.I. A surgeon of the surgical unit of the in-patient department of SE "The Republican Clinical Medical Centre". The Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.