This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2016 Vol. 24 No 1
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
A.V. CHERNYKH, Y.V. MALEEV, E.F. CHEREDNIKOV, A.N. SHEVTSOV, D.N. GOLOVANOV
NEW DATA ON SURGICAL ANATOMY OF PARATHYROID GLANDS
SBEE HPE "N.N. Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University"
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To develop new approaches to the assessment of surgical anatomy of the parathyroid glands and to obtain new data permitted to improve the quality of planning and performance of operations on the organs of the neck, to reduce the risk of diagnostic errors and development of intraoperative and postoperative complications.
Methods. The study was performed on cadavers (152 men; average age – 47,0±1,0 years) and (68 women; 51,3±1,9 years). Before an autopsy of each cadaver the anthropometric measurements of the neck were done. The width, length of the axis, thickness and height of the parathyroid glands had been measured on the neck organocomplexes extracted from the corpses. The parameters characterized the position of the parathyroid glands towards to the thyroid gland in different planes were proposed.
Results. Totally 1033 parathyroid glands were visualized. More than half of the cases (54,0%) the number of glands exceeded 4. The length of the axis of the parathyroid glands was greater than 1,0 cm in 10,5% of cases. The analysis of age-related changes of linear dimensions and volume of glands allowed identifying three main periods in the postnatal ontogenesis of the glands. It was revealed that 95,4% of glands had typical location in relation to the height of thyroid lobes. The glands located above the upper pole of thyroid lobe were the most distant from the midline, the gland located below the lower pole of the thyroid gland - the most approximate. The angle of axis inclination of parathyroid glands to the median line in the frontal plane and the distance from the glands to the back surface of the thyroid lobe depends on the level of the parathyroid glands localization in relation to the height of thyroid lobe.
Conclusion. Practical implementation of the proposed criteria permits to perform preoperative prediction of topography of the parathyroid glands and their accurate intraoperative visualization, improving the quality of operations performed on the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- Kalinin AP, Maistrenko NA, Vetshev PS. Khirurgicheskaia endokrinologiia [Surgical Endocrinology]: ruk. Saint-Petersburg, RF: Piter; 2004. 960 p.
- Cheren'ko SM. Pervichnyi giperparatireoz: osnovy patogeneza, diagnostiki i khirurgicheskogo lecheniia: monografiia [Primary hyperparathyroidism: pathogenesis, diagnosis and surgical treatment]. Kiev, Ukraina: Ekspress-Poligraf; 2011. 148 p.
- Savenok VU, Savenok EV, Ognerubov NA. Ekstrafastsial'nye operatsii pri rake i uzlovykh obrazovaniiakh shchitovidnoi zhelezy [Extra fascial surgery for cancer and thyroid nodules]. Voronezh, RF; 2006. 168 p.
- Kalinina AP. Metody vizualizatsii okoloshchitovidnykh zhelez i paratireoidnaia khirurgiia [Visualization techniques of parathyroid glands and parathyroid surgery]: ruk dlia vrachei. Moscow, RF: Vidar-M; 2010. 311 p.
- Chernykh AV, Maleev IuV, Guseva TV, Shevtsov AN. Topografo-anatomicheskie osobennosti stroeniia shchitovidnoi zhelezy u zhitelei Tsentral'no-Chernozemnogo regiona [Topographic and anatomical features of the structure of the thyroid gland in inhabitants of Central Black Earth region]. Morfologiia. 2010;137(4):211.
- Schwartz AE, Pertsemlidis D, Gagner M. Endocrine surgery. New York, US: Marcel Dekker; 2004.
- Malmaeus J, Bergstrom R. Surgical anatomy of human paratyroid glands. Surgery. 1984:95:14-21.
- Petten BM. Embriologiia cheloveka [Human embryology]. Moscow, RF: Medgiz; 1959. 768 p.
- Henry JF. Applied embryology of the thyroid and parathyroid glands. In: Randolph GW, editors. Surgery of the thyroid and parathyroid glands / Philadelphia: Elsevier Science, USA; 2003. p. 12-23.
- Henry J-F. Surgical anatomy and embryology of the thyroid and parathyroid glands and recurrent and external laryngeal nerves. In: Clark OH, Duh Q-Y, Kebebew E, editors. Textbook of Endocrine Surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2005. p. 9-15.
- Alveryd A. Parathyroid glands in thyroid surgery. I Anatomy of parathyroid glands II Postoperative hypoparathyroidism, identification and allotransplantation of parathyroid glands. Acta Chir Scand. 1968; 389: 1-120.
394036, Russian Federation,
Voronezh, ul. Studencheskaya, d.10,
GBOU VPO ''Voronezhskiy gosudarstvennyiy
meditsinskiy universitet im. N.N. Burdenko'',
kafedra operativnoy khirurgii s topograficheskoy anatomiey,
tel. office: 7 (473) 253-10-70,
Shevtsov Artem Nikolaevich
Chernykh A.V. MD, professor, a head of the operative surgery chair with topographic anatomy of SBEE HPE "N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University", the first Vice-rector of SBEE HPE "N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University".
Maleev Y.V. MD, an associate professor of the operative surgery chair with topographic anatomy of SBEE HPE "N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University".
Cherednikov E.F. MD, professor, a head of the faculty surgery chair of SBEE HPE " N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University".
Shevtsov A.N. PhD, an assistant of the operative surgery chair with topographic anatomy of SBEE HPE "N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University".
Golovanov D.N. An extramural post-graduate student of the operative surgery chair with topographic anatomy of SBEE HPE "N.N.Burdenko Voronezh State Medical University".