This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2016 Vol. 24 No 5
A.I. CHERNOOKOV1, M.M. KARAPETYAN2, V.V. BAGDASAROV1, H.A. BAGDASAROVA1, M.V. KOSACHENCO2, A.P. MOISEEV1
COLORECTAL STENTING IN TREATMENT OF MALIGNANT LARGE BOWEL OBSTRUCTION
SBEE HPE "I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University"1,
SBME "City Clinical Hospital named after S.S.Judin of Moscow Health Care Department"2.
The Russian Federation
Review the recent literature data for colonic stenting application in patients with malignant large bowel obstruction has been analyzed. Colorectal stent application is considered to be a real alternative for the emergency surgery. First of all stent is performed for temporary colonic decompression as a bridge to the surgery followed by a delayed radical operation in resectable cases. The second indication – stents are being increasingly used to solve malignant large bowel obstruction (unresectable and / or metastatic cancer). The placement of colorectal stents has been carried out with endoscopic guidance, fluoroscopy guidance, or a combined technique. The average clinical effectiveness of stenting is 80-90%. The effectiveness of stenting is affected by the extent of tumor stricture, patient’s status, and experience of endoscopist, cancer localization and the source of tumor. In the case of a complete obstruction the outcomes of stenting are worse compared with a subtotal obstruction. “A bridge to the surgery” approach improves immediate outcomes of management in patients with malignant large bowel obstruction compared with emergency surgical interventions. The optimal time until elective radical surgery is 5-10 days after stent insertion. The long-term oncologic outcomes of a bridge method are insufficiently studied. The stent insertion may affect negatively on 5-year overall survival and cancer recurrence rate. In patients with unresectable and/or metastatic cancer, complicated by malignant large bowel obstruction, the stenting improves the quality of life, reduces the hospitalization time. The complications of colorectal stenting include stent-induced colonic perforation, colonic re-obstruction, stents migration, inadequate colonic decompression, pain, bleeding. Further individualisation of treatment tactics of malignant large bowel obstruction should be carefully considered the advantages and disadvantages of colonic stenting.
- Denisenko VL, Gain IuM. Oslozhneniia kolorektal'nogo raka: problemy i perspektivy [Complications of colorectal cancer: problems and prospects]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2011;19(1):103-11.
- Lebedev SS, Mumladze RB, Chechenin GM, Barinov IuV, Galaeva EV, Ravich LD, i dr. Ispol'zovanie kolorektal'nykh stentov v lechenii bol'nykh s ostroi obturatsionnoi tolstokishechnoi neprokhodimost'iu [The use of stents in the treatment of colorectal patients with acute obstructive colonic obstruction]. Annaly Khirurgii. 2014;(5):27-36.
- Yeo HL, Lee SW. Colorectal emergencies: review and controversies in the management of large bowel obstruction. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Nov;17(11):2007-12. doi: 10.1007/s11605-013-2343-x.
- Kim EJ, Kim YJ. Stents for colorectal obstruction: past, present, and future. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan 14; 22(2):842-52. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v22.i2.842.
- Suárez J, Jimenez-Pérez J. Long-term outcomes after stenting as a "bridge to surgery" for the management of acute obstruction secondary to colorectal cancer. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2016 Jan 15;8(1):105-12. doi: 10.4251/wjgo.v8.i1.105.
- Zahid A, Young CJ. How to decide on stent insertion or surgery in colorectal obstruction? World J Gastrointest Surg. 2016 Jan 27;8(1):84-9. doi: 10.4240/wjgs.v8.i1.84.
- Cheung DY, Lee YK, Yang CH. Status and literature review of self-expandable metallic stents for malignant colorectal obstruction. Clin Endosc. 2014 Jan;47(1):65-73. doi: 10.5946/ce.2014.47.1.65.
- Gorissen KJ, Tuynman JB, Fryer E, Wang L, Uberoi R, Jones OM, et al. Local recurrence after stenting for obstructing left-sided colonic cancer. Br J Surg. 2013 Dec;100(13):1805-9. doi: 10.1002/bjs.9297.
- Trompetas V. Emergency management of malignant acute left-sided colonic obstruction. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2008 Apr;90(3):181-86. doi: 10.1308/003588408X285757.
- Pirlet IA, Slim K, Kwiatkowski F, Michot F, Millat BL. Emergency preoperative stenting versus surgery for acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Surg Endosc. 2011 Jun;25(6):1814-21. doi: 10.1007/s00464-010-1471-6.
- De Ceglie A, Filiberti R, Baron TH, Ceppi M, Conio M. A meta-analysis of endoscopic stenting as bridge to surgery versus emergency surgery for left-sided colorectal cancer obstruction. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2013 Nov;88(2):387-403. doi: 10.1016/j.critrevonc.2013.06.006.
- Dohmoto M, Hünerbein M, Schlag PM. Application of rectal stents for palliation of obstructing rectosigmoid cancer. Surg Endosc. 1997 Jul;11(7):758-61.
- Tejero E, Mainar A, Fernández L, Tobío R, De Gregorio MA. New procedure for the treatment of colorectal neoplastic obstructions. Dis Colon Rectum. 1994 Nov;37(11):1158-59.
- van Hooft JE, van Halsema EE, Vanbiervliet G, Beets-Tan RGH, DeWitt JM, Donnellan F, et al. Self-expandable metal stents for obstructing colonic and extracolonic cancer: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Nov;80(5):747-61.e75. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2014.09.018.
- Zarnescu Vasiliu EC, Zarnescu NO, Costea R, Rahau L, Neagu S. Morbidity after reversal of Hartmann operation: retrospective analysis of 56 patients. J Med Life. 2015 Oct-Dec;8(4):488-91.
- Vorob'ev GI, Tsar'kov PV. Osnovy khirurgii kishechnykh stom [Fundamentals of surgery intestinal stomas]. Moscow, RF: Ctol'nyi grad; 2002. 160ps.
- Lee JM, Byeon JS. Colorectal Stents: Current Status. Clin Endosc. 2015 May;48(3):194-200. doi: 10.5946/ce.2015.48.3.194.
- Fedorov AG, Davydova SV, Klimov AE, Potanina OV. Vosstanovlenie passazha soderzhimogo tolstoi kishki pri opukholevoi neprokhodimosti [Recovery of content passage of malignant colon obstruction]. Tikhookeanskii Med Zhurn. 2011;(4):10-13.
- Han SH, Lee JH. Colonic stent-related complications and their management. Clin Endosc. 2014 Sep;47(5):415-19. doi: 10.5946/ce.2014.47.5.415.
- Lee KJ, Kim SW, Kim TI, Lee JH, Lee BI, Keum B, et al. Evidence-based recommendations on colorectal stenting: a report from the stent study group of the Korean Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Clin Endosc. 2013 Jul;46(4):355-67. doi: 10.5946/ce.2013.46.4.355.
- Zhang Y, Shi J, Shi B, Song CY, Xie WF, Chen YX. Comparison of efficacy between uncovered and covered self-expanding metallic stents in malignant large bowel obstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Colorectal Dis. 2012 Jul;14(7):e367-74. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2012.03056.x.
- Yang Z, Wu Q, Wang F, Ye X, Qi X, Fan D. A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials and prospective studies comparing covered and bare self-expandable metal stents for the treatment of malignant obstruction in the digestive tract. Int J Med Sci. 2013 Apr 27;10(7):825-35. doi: 10.7150/ijms.5969.
- Small AJ, Coelho-Prabhu N, Baron TH. Endoscopic placement of self-expandable metal stents for malignant colonic obstruction: long-term outcomes and complication factors. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010 Mar;71(3):560-72. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2009.10.012.
- Manes G, de Bellis M, Fuccio L, Repici A, Masci E, Ardizzone S, et al. Endoscopic palliation in patients with incurable malignant colorectal obstruction by means of self-expanding metal stent: analysis of results and predictors of outcomes in a large multicenter series. Arch Surg. 2011 Oct;146(10):1157-62. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2011.233.
- Sebastian S, Johnston S, Geoghegan T, Torreggiani W, Buckley M. Pooled analysis of the efficacy and safety of self-expanding metal stenting in malignant colorectal obstruction. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 Oct;99(10):2051-57.
- Geraghty J, Sarkar S, Cox T, Lal S, Willert R, Ramesh J, et al. Management of large bowel obstruction with self-expanding metal stents. A multicentre retrospective study of factors determining outcome. Colorectal Dis. 2014 Jun;16(6):476-83. doi: 10.1111/codi.12582.
- Lee HJ, Park SJ, Cheon JH, Kim TI, Kim WH, Hong SP. What is the necessity of endoscopist for successful endoscopic stenting in patients with malignant colorectal obstruction? Int J Colorectal Dis. 2015 Jan;30(1):119-25. doi: 10.1007/s00384-014-2060-2.
- Boyle DJ, Thorn C, Saini A, Elton C, Atkin GK, Mitchel IC, Lotzof K, Marcus A, Mathur P. Predictive factor for successful colonic stenting in acute large-bowel obstruction: 15-year cohort analysis. Dis Colon Rectum.2015 Mar; 58(3):358-62: doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000000243
- Yoon JY1, Jung YS, Kim TI, Kim WH, Cheon Jh. Clinical outcomes and risk factors for technical and clinicsl failures of self-expandable metal stent insertion for malignant colorectal obstruction. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Oct;74(4):858-68. Doi.10.1016/j.gie.2011.05.044.
- Tirosh D, Perry Z, Walfisch S, Rozental A, Fich A, Krugliak Pet al. Endoscopic self-expanding metal stents for acute colonic obstruction. Am Surg. 2013 Jan;79(1):30-4.
- Stenhouse GJ, Page B, Rowan A, Giles L, Macdonald A. Self expanding wall stents in malignant colorectal cancer: is complete obstruction a contraindication to stent placement? Colorectal Dis. 2009 Oct;11(8):854-58. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2008.01678.x.
- Choi JH, Lee YJ, Kim ES, Choi JH, Cho KB, Park KS, et al. Covered self-expandable metal stents are more associated with complications in the management of malignant colorectal obstruction. Surg Endosc. 2013 Sep;27(9):3220-7. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-2897-4.
- Kim JH, Song HY, Li YD, Shin JH, Park JH, Yu CS, et al. Dual-design expandable colorectal stent for malignant colorectal obstruction: comparison of flared ends and bent ends. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Jul;193(1):248-54. doi: 10.2214/AJR.08.2003.
- Ngu J, Lieske B, Chan KH, Lim TZ, Cheong WK, Tan KK. Caecal pneumatosis is not an absolute contraindication for endoluminal stenting in patients with acute malignant large bowel obstruction. ANZ J Surg. 2014 Oct;84(10):772-5. doi: 10.1111/ans.12539.
- Huang X, Lv B, Zhang S, Meng L. Preoperative colonic stents versus emergency surgery for acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction: a meta-analysis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Mar;18(3):584-91. doi: 10.1007/s11605-013-2344-9.
- van Hooft JE, Bemelman WA, Oldenburg B, Marinelli AW, Lutke Holzik MF, Grubben MJ, et al. Colonic stenting versus emergency surgery for acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction: a multicentre randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2011 Apr;12(4):344-52. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70035-3.
- Alcántara M, Serra-Aracil X, Falcó J, Mora L, Bombardó J, Navarro S. Prospective, controlled, randomized study of intraoperative colonic lavage versus stent placement in obstructive left-sided colonic cancer. World J Surg. 2011 Aug;35(8):1904-10. doi: 10.1007/s00268-011-1139-y
- Tung KL, Cheung HY, Ng LW, Chung CC, Li MK. Endo-laparoscopic approach versus conventional open surgery in the treatment of obstructing left-sided colon cancer: long-term follow-up of a randomized trial. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2013 May;6(2):78-81. doi: 10.1111/ases.12030.
- Sabbagh C, Browet F, Diouf M, Cosse C, Brehant O, Bartoli E, et al. Is stenting as "a bridge to surgery" an oncologically safe strategy for the management of acute, left-sided, malignant, colonic obstruction? A comparative study with a propensity score analysis. Ann Surg. 2013 Jul;258(1):107-15. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827e30ce.
- Sabbagh C, Chatelain D, Trouillet N, Mauvais F, Bendjaballah S, Browet F, et al. Does use of a metallic colon stent as a bridge to surgery modify the pathology data in patients with colonic obstruction? A case-matched study. Surg Endosc. 2013 Oct;27(10):3622-31. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-2934-3.
- Maruthachalam K, Lash GE, Shenton BK, Horgan AF. Tumour cell dissemination following endoscopic stent insertion. Br J Surg. 2007 Sep;94(9):1151-54.
- Cui J, Zhang JL, Wang S, Sun ZQ, Jiang XL. A preliminary study of stenting followed by laparoscopic surgery for obstructing left-sided colon cancer. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2011 Jan;14(1):40-3. [Article in Chinese]
- Lee GJ, Kim HJ, Baek JH, Lee WS, Kwon KA. Comparison of short-term outcomes after elective surgery following endoscopic stent insertion and emergency surgery for obstructive colorectal cancer. Int J Surg. 2013;11(6):442-46. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2013.04.010.
- Sirikurnpiboon S, Awapittaya B, Jivapaisarnpong P, Rattanachu-ek T, Wannaprasert J, Panpimarnmas S. Bridging metallic stent placement in acute obstructed left sided malignant colorectal cancer: optimal time for surgery. J Med Assoc Thai. 2014 Nov;97(Suppl 11):S81-6.
- Sloothaak DA, van den Berg MW, Dijkgraaf MG, Fockens P, Tanis PJ, van Hooft JE, et al. Oncological outcome of malignant colonic obstruction in the Dutch Stent-In 2 trial. Br J Surg. 2014 Dec;101(13):1751-57. doi: 10.1002/bjs.9645.
- Park SJ, Lee KY, Kwon SH, Lee SH. Stenting as a bridge to surgery for obstructive colon cancer: does it have surgical merit or oncologic demerit? Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Mar;23(Is 3):842-48.
- van den Berg MW, Ledeboer M, Dijkgraaf MG, Fockens P, ter Borg F, van Hooft JE. Long-term results of palliative stent placement for acute malignant colonic obstruction. Surg Endosc. 2015 Jun;29(6):1580-5. doi: 10.1007/s00464-014-3845-7.
- Zhao XD, Cai BB, Cao RS, Shi RH. Palliative treatment for incurable malignant colorectal obstructions: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Sep 7;19(33):5565-74. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v19.i33.5565.
- Lee HJ, Park SJ, Min BS, Cheon JH, Kim TI, Kim NK, et al. The role of primary colectomy after successful endoscopic stenting in patients with obstructive metastatic colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. 2014 Jun;57(6):694-9. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000000061.
- Meisner S, González-Huix F, Vandervoort JG, Goldberg P, Casellas JA, Roncero O, et al. Self-expandable metal stents for relieving malignant colorectal obstruction: short-term safety and efficacy within 30 days of stent procedure in 447 patients. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Oct;74(4):876-84. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2011.06.019.
- Datye A, Hersh J. Colonic perforation after stent placement for malignant colorectal obstruction--causes and contributing factors. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2011 May;20(3):133-40. doi: 10.3109/13645706.2010.518787.
- van Halsema EE, van Hooft JE, Small AJ, Baron TH, García-Cano J, Cheon JH, et al. Perforation in colorectal stenting: a meta-analysis and a search for risk factors. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Jun;79(6):970-82.e7; quiz 983.e2, 983.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2013.11.038.
- Baron TH, Wong Kee Song LM, Repici A. Role of self-expandable stents for patients with colon cancer (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Mar;75(3):653-62. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2011.12.020.
119991, Russian Federation, Moscow, Trubetskaya st., 8/2.
First Moscow State Medical University named after IM Sechenov,
department N2 of hospital surgery.
Moiseev Aleksandr Pavlovich
Chernookov A.I. MD, Professor, Head of department N2 of hospital surgery, SBEE HPE "I.M.Sechenov First State Medical University".
Karapetyan M.M. PHD, Head of surgical department, SBME "City Clinical Hospital named after S.S.Judin".
Bagdasarov V.V. MD, Professor of department ¹ 2 of hospital surgery, SBEE HPE "I.M.Sechenov First State Medical University".
Bagdasarova E.A. MD, Professor of department N 2 of hospital surgery, SBEE HPE "I.M.Sechenov First State Medical University".
Kosachenco M.V. Surgeon of Moscow Health Care department., SBME "City Clinical Hospital named after S.S.Judin".
Moiseev A.P. Post-graduate student of department N2 of hospital surgery, SBEE HPE "I.M.Sechenov First State Medical University",