This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2016 Vol. 24 No 6
I.V. MAIBORODIN1, A.E. KOZJAKOV 2, E.V. BABAYANTS 2,
S.E. KRASILNIKOV 2
ANGIOGENESIS IN LYMPH NODES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF CANCER IN THE REGION OF LYMPH COLLECTION
SBSE FSBSE "Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine", Russian Academy of Sciences, Siberian Branch, 1
SBEE HPE "Novosibirsk State Medical University" 2
The Russia Federation
Objectives. To estimate the angiogenesis state in the axillary lymph nodes (ALN) in the breast cancer (BC) patients and to determine the correlation between a ALN vascularization and the stage of oncological process.
Methods. A numerical density of blood vessels in ALN structures of patients at different stages of BC was investigated by immunohistochemical method with the application of CD34 antibodies and use of morphometry at the level of light microscopy. The pair coefficients of correlation between the BC stage and an ALN vascularization have also been studied.
Results. A rapid and significant increase of a number of vessels in axillary lymph nodes as a whole and in all their zones has been occured with the development of breast cancer. It is noted that the changes occuring of vascularization in paracortex and medullary substance are especially expressed. In different axillary lymph nodes zones of patient suffering from breast cancer a strong or a very strong positive correlation between the stage of oncologic process and vascularization indicators take place. Probably, the duration of oncological disease in the region of lymph collection and tumor size influence the angiogenesis intensity in lymph nodes. The longer a tumor is occurred in a body, the longer the production of proangiogenic cytokines and their effect on a lymph node are registered. The larger the tumor, the more significantly pronounced expression of hypoxia and more greatly secretion of substances that stimulate angiogenesis, and the more pronounced effect of these releases on vascular growth in various structures of lymph node. At the same time, no reliable differences between women without breast cancer and patients suffereing from breast cancer (I stage) was revealed; differences is detected only from II stage.
Conclusion. A substantial manifestation of the vascular network of lymph nodes may be a symptom of a malignant tumor development in the region of lymph collection. By increasing the number of vessels in lymph nodes it seems presumable to judge indirectly about oncological process duration and size of the tumor itself.
- Weidner N, Semple JP, Welch WR, Folkman J. Tumor angiogenesis and metastasis–correlation in invasive breast carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 1991 Jan 3;324(1):1-8.
- Farnsworth RH, Lackmann M, Achen MG, Stacker SA. Vascular remodeling in cancer. Oncogene. 2014 Jul 3;33(27):3496-505. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.304.
- Kaku T, Kamura T, Kinukawa N, Kobayashi H, Sakai K, Tsuruchi N, et al. Angiogenesis in endometrial carcinoma. Cancer. 1997 Aug 15;80(Is 4):741-47. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19970815)80.
- Aki R, Amoh Y, Bouvet M, Katsuoka K, Hoffman RM. Color-coded fluorescence imaging of lymph-node metastasis, angiogenesis, and its drug-induced inhibition. J Cell Biochem. 2014 Mar;115(3):457-63. doi: 10.1002/jcb.24677.
- Chien MH, Lee LM, Hsiao M, Wei LH, Chen CH, Lai TC, et al. Inhibition of metastatic potential in breast carcinoma in vivo and in vitro through targeting VEGFRs and FGFRs. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:718380.
- Dębiński P, Dembowski J, Kowal P, Szydełko T, Kołodziej A, Małkiewicz B, et al. The clinical significance of lymphangiogenesis in renal cell carcinoma. Med Sci Monit. 2013 Jul 24;19:606-11. doi: 10.12659/MSM.883981.
- Haisan A, Rogojanu R, Croitoru C, Jitaru D, Tarniceriu C, Danciu M, et al. Digital microscopy assessment of angiogenesis in different breast cancer compartments. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:286902. doi: 10.1155/2013/286902.
- Orecchioni S, Gregato G, Martin-Padura I, Reggiani F, Braidotti P, Mancuso P, et al. Complementary populations of human adipose CD34+ progenitor cells promote growth, angiogenesis, and metastasis of breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2013 Oct 1;73(19):5880-91. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-0821.
- Lee E, Pandey NB, Popel AS. Pre-treatment of mice with tumor-conditioned media accelerates metastasis to lymph nodes and lungs: a new spontaneous breast cancer metastasis model. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2014 Jan;31(1):67-79. doi: 10.1007/s10585-013-9610-9.
- Liao Y, Lu W, Che Q, Yang T, Qiu H, Zhang H, et al. SHARP1 suppresses angiogenesis of endometrial cancer by decreasing hypoxia-inducible factor-1α level. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 11;9(6):e99907. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0099907. eCollection 2014.
- Zhang J, Guo H, Zhu JS, Yang YC, Chen WX, Chen NW. Inhibition of phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway decreases hypoxia inducible factor-1α expression and increases therapeutic efficacy of paclitaxel in human hypoxic gastric cancer cells. Oncol Lett. 2014 May;7(5):1401-8.
- Abbasi MM, Monfaredan A, Hamishehkar H, Seidi K, Jahanban- Esfahlan R. Novel DOX-MTX nanoparticles improve oral SCC clinical outcome by down regulation of lymph dissemination factor VEGF-C expression in vivo: oral and IV modalities. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014;15(15):6227-32.
- Yanase M, Kato K, Yoshizawa K, Noguchi N, Kitahara H, Nakamura H. Prognostic value of vascular endothelial growth factors A and C in oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Oral Pathol Med. 2014 Aug;43(7):514-20. doi: 10.1111/jop.12167.
- .Maiborodin IV, Maiborodina VI, Babaiants EV, Strunkin DN, Sisakian VG, Kolotova NM. Nekotorye osobennosti izmenenii podmyshechnykh limfaticheskikh uzlov bez metastazov posle khimioterapii pri rake molochnoi zhelezy [Some features of changes of lymphatic nodes free of metastasios after chemotherapy in breast cancer]. Antibiotiki i Khimioterapiia. 2009;54(9-10):42-47.
- Lykov AP, Nikonorova IuV, Bondarenko NA, Poveshchenko OV, Kim II, i dr. Izuchenie proliferatsii, migratsii i produktsii oksida azota kostnomozgovymi mul'tipotentnymi mezenkhimnymi stromal'nymi kletkami krys Vistar pri gipoksii i giperglikemii [Study of proliferation, migration and production of nitric oxide bone marrow multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells of Wistar rats during hypoxia and hyperglycemia]. Biul Eksperim Biologii i Meditsiny. 2015;159(4):432-34.
630090, Russian Federation,
Novosibirsk, pr. Acad. Lavrentev, 8,
Institute of Chemical Biology and
Fundamental Medicine SB RAS,
Stem Cell Laboratory
Tel.: 8 913 753-07-67
Maiborodin Igor Valentinovich
Maiborodin I.V. MD, Professor, Leading researcher of stem cell laboratory, SBSE FSBSE "Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine", the Russian Academy of Sciences, Siberian Branch.
Kozjakov A.E. Post-graduate student of oncology department, SBEE HPE "Novosibirsk State Medical University".
Babayants E.V. PhD, Applicant for Doctor’s degree of oncology department, SBEE HPE "Novosibirsk State Medical University".
Krasilnikov S.E. MD, Professor of oncology department, SBEE HPE "Novosibirsk State Medical University".