This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 1
E.V. NIKITINA, I.M. SAMSONOVA, A.N. KIZIMENKO
A HISTORY OF THE FIRST ANESTHESIA
EE "Vitebsk State Medical University",
The Republic of Belarus
In 2016 the world community celebrated the 170th anniversary of the first successful demonstration of ether anesthesia. Among the greatest achievements of medicine, control over a pain while carrying out surgical operations has affected almost each person in the world. From the end of the XVØ century for the purpose of anaesthesia, physician and chemists unsuccessfully experimented with various gases, such as: nitrous oxide, ether, chloroform and others. On October, 16, 1846, a dentist William Thomas Green Morton (1819-1868) performed a public demonstration of a painless tooth extraction after administering ether as an inhalation anesthetic and that permitted surgeon John Collins Warren to remove a vascular tumor in Edward Gilbert Abbot. This event took place in Massachusetts General Hospital now known as the Ether Dome. News about the first successful demonstration of anesthesia rather quickly spread worldwide. According to many historians of medicine it made medical history by using ether as a general anesthetic during a surgery for the first time and it was the beginning of modern anesthesiology. The knowledge of how anesthesia was introduced into medical practice has a great significance for correct understanding of anesthesiologist’s specialty and new achievements in the future. In honor of this historical event Monument commemorating Morton’s demonstration of ether’s anesthetic use was built in Boston (the USA).
- Moroz VV, Vasil'ev VIu, Kuzovlev AN. Istoricheskie aspekty anesteziologii-reanimatologii [Historical aspects of anesthesiology and critical care medicine]. Obshch Reanimatologiia. 2006;II(2):59-67. doi: 10.15360/1813-9779-2006-2-59-67.
- Stoliarenko PIu. Istoriia obezbolivaniia v stomatologii (ot drevnosti do sovremennosti) [History of anesthesia in dentistry (from ancient times to the present day)]. Samara, RF: Ofort; SamGMU; 2010. 342 p.
- Vacanti CA, Sikka P, Urman R, editors. Essential clinical anesthesia. New York, USA: Cambridge university press; 2011. 1191 p.
- Zhorov IS. Obshchee obezbolivanie v khirurgii [General anesthesia in surgery]. Moscow, RF: Medgiz; 1959. 486 p.
- Beliaevskii AD, Monchenko GD. Ocherki po istorii anesteziologii (fragment monografii) [Essays on the history of anesthesiology]. Vestn Intensiv Terapii. 1999;(2): 82-83.
- Sikka PK, Beaman ST, Street JA, eds. Basic Clinical Anesthesia. New York, USA: Springer Science+Business Media; 2015. 711 ð.
- Morgan DzhE-ml, Mikhail MS. Klinicheskaia anesteziologiia. Moscow, RF: Binom; S-Petersburg, RF: Nev Dialekt; 1998. 1-ia kn. 431 p.
- Sumin SA, Rudenko MV, Borodinov IM. Anesteziologiia i reanimatologiia [Anesthesiology and intensive care]. Moscow, RF: Medinform Agentstvo; 2009. 1833 p.
- Babaian EA, Gaevskii AV, Bardin EV. Pravovye aspekty oborota narkoticheskikh, psikhotropnykh, sil'nodeistvuiushchikh, iadovitykh veshchestv i prekursorov [Legal aspects of narcotic, psychotropic, strong poisonous substances and precursors]. Moscow, RF: MTsFER; 2000. 440 p.
- Gurvich IA. Spravochnik molodogo apparatchika-khimika [Guideline of young chemist]. Moscow, RF: Khimiia; 1991. 256 p.
- Gauptman Z, Grefe Iu, Remane Kh. Organicheskaia khimiia [Organic chemistry]: ucheb. posobie: per. s nem. Potapov VM, red. Moscow, RF: Khimiia; 1979. 832 p.
- Zil'ber AP. 150 let ery anesteziologii (1846 – 16 oktiabria 1996) [150 years of anesthesiology era (1846 - October 16, 1996)]: Kalendar' k Iubileinomu Seminaru Aktual'nye Problemy Meditsin Krit Sostoian i Anesteziol. Petrozavodsk, RF; 1996. 27 p.
- Ehrenfeld JM, Urman RD, Segal S, editors. Anesthesia Student Survival Guide: A Case-Based Approach. Springer Science+Business Media LLC, 2010; 519 p.
- Iudin SS. Voprosy obezbolivaniia v khirurgii [Issues of anesthesia in surgery]. Moscow, RF: Medgiz; 1960. 557 p.
- Ortega RA, Lewis KP, Hansen CJ. Other monuments to inhalation anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 2008 Oct;109(4):578-87. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e318186318c.
210023, the Republic of Belarus,
Vitebsk, Frunze ave. 27,
EE «Vitebsk State Medical University»,
Department of Anesthesiology
and reanimatology with
a course of AT and RT,
Tel.: +375 33 316-10-25,
Ekaterina V. Nikitina
Nikitina E.V. PhD, Head of anesthesiology and reanimatology department with the courses advanced training and retraining, EE "Vitebsk State Medical University".
Samsonova I.M. Assistant of anesthesiology and reanimatology department with the courses advanced training and retraining, EE "Vitebsk State Medical University".
Kizimenko A.N. PhD, Ass. Professor of anesthesiology and reanimatology department with the courses advanced training and retraining, EE "Vitebsk State Medical University".