This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 1
V.Y. KHRYSHCHANOVICH1, P.Y. VERSHININ2,
A.V. BOLSHOV1, S.I. TRETYAK1, E.I. KUZMENKOVA3, A.M. PISARENKO4, E.V. KHODOSOVSKAYA, T.S. KOLESNIKOVA1, O.O. RUMMO2
ALLOTRANSPLANTATION OF CULTIVATED PARATHYROID CELLS OF A LIVING UNRELATED DONOR TO RECIPIENT WITH RENAL TRANSPLANT: THE FIRST CLINICAL OBSERVATION
EE "Belarusian State Medical University"1,
ME "The 9th City Clinical Hospital", Minsk 2,
SE "Republican Center of Medical Rehabilitation and Balneotherapy"3,
ME "Minsk City Clinical Oncologic Dispensary"4,
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To demonstrate the possibility of successful treatment of a severe postsurgical hypoparathyroidism by the cultured parathyrocyte allotransplantation to a kidney transplant recipient.
Methods. A 37-year-old female with the kidney transplant and a severe postsurgical hypoparathyroidism on the background of intensive replacement therapy was a recipient of parathyroid allograft. The indications for parathyroid autotransplantation include symptoms of tetany, high convulsive readiness (Chvostek’s and Trousseau’s signs), extremely low rates of total/ionized calcium (1,71/0,98 mmol/L) and parathyroid hormone (1,7 pg/ml) in the peripheral blood. Culture (21×106) of parathyroid cells obtained from a living unrelated donor (62-year-old female) with the secondary hyperparathyroidism was implanted into the recipients’ left brachioradialis muscle. Site selection for parathyroid allograft was conditioned by the absence of arteriovenous fistula on the side of the transplantation. Immunosuppressive therapy consisted of 150 mg/day of cyclosporine, 720 mg/day of mycophenolic acid, 6 mg/day of methylprednisolone.
Results. No postoperative complications of the intervention, local and general side effects on the parathyroid cell allograft were observed. Clinical and laboratory improvement of hypoparathyroidism occurred 1 month after the transplantation: parathyroid hormone concentration increased up to 14,7 pg/ml and reached a maximum value (61,7 pg/mL) after 3,5 months. No convulsions were observed over a 6-month follow-up, Chvostek’s and Trousseau’s signs were stopped, the amount of oral substitution therapy significantly reduced, and there was no more need for parenteral administration of calcium salt solutions. Six months after transplantation a patient led a very active life and took per os 0,5 g/day of calcium.
Conclusion. Combined allotransplantation of cadaveric kidneys and cultured parathyroid cells obtained from the hyperplastic parathyroid tissue of a living unrelated donor is considered to be an effective treatment of permanent severe hypoparathyroidism in patients who need the organ transplantation with subsequent immunosuppressive therapy.
- Udelsman R. Six hundred fifty-six consecutive explorations for primary hyperparathyroidism. Ann Surg. 2002 May;235(5):665-70; discussion 670-2.
- Brown WH. Parathyroid Implantation in the Treatment of Tetania Parathyreopriva. Ann Surg. 1911 Mar;53(3):305-17.
- Stone HB, Owings JC, Gey GO. Transplantation of living grafts of thyroid and parathyroid glands. Ann Surg. 1934 Oct;100(4):613-28.
- Sterling JA, Goldsmith R. Total transplant of thyroid gland using vascular anastomoses; report of successful result in chronic tetany. Surgery. 1954 Apr;35(Is 4):624-28.
- Watkins EJr, Haynes LL, Adams HD. Aortic-pedicle technic for obtaining immediate vascularization of fetal parathyroidgland transplants in man; application in three patients with hypoparathyroidism appearing after thyroidectomy. N Engl J Med. 1959 Jul 16;261(3):105-12.
- Carl G. Groth, William S. Hammond, Shunzaburo Iwatsuki, et al. Survival of a homologous parathyroid implant in an immunosuppressed patient. Lancet. 1973 May 19;1(7812):1082-85.
- Wells SA Jr, Burdick JF, Hattler BG, Christiansen C, Pettigrew HM, Abe M, et al. The allografted parathyroid gland: evaluation of function in the immunosuppressed host. Ann Surg. 1974 Dec;180(6):805-13.
- Duarte B, Mozes MF, John E, Aronson I, Pollak R, Jonasson O. Parathyroid allotransplantation in the treatment of complicated idiopathic primary hypoparathyroidism. Surgery. 1985 Dec;98(6):1072-6.
- Zeng Q. Allotransplantation of parathyroid glands to treat intractable hypoparathyroidism. Surgery. 1986 Jan; 99(Is 1):131-32.
- Kunori T, Tsuchiya T, Itoh J, Watabe S, Arai M, Satomi T, et al. Improvement of postoperative hypocalcemia by repeated allotransplantation of parathyroid tissue without anti-rejection therapy. Tohoku J Exp Med. 1991 Sep;165(1):33-40.
- Alfrey EJ1, Perloff LJ, Asplund MW, Dafoe DC, Grossman RA, Bromberg JS, Holland T, Naji A, Barker CF. Normocalcemia thirteen years after successful parathyroid allografting in a recipient of a renal transplant. Surgery. 1992 Feb;111(2):234-36.
- Decker GA, Stark JH, Botha JR, Margolius LP, Decker G. Allotransplantation of parathyroid cells. Lancet. 1995 Jan 14;345(8942):124.
- Hasse C, Zielke A, Klöck G, Schlosser A, Zimmermann U, Rothmund M. Isotransplantation of microencapsulated parathyroid tissue in rats. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 1997;105(1):53-6.
- Torregrosa NM, Rodríguez JM, Llorente S, Balsalobre MD, Rios A, Jimeno L, et al. Definitive treatment for persistent hypoparathyroidism in a kidney transplant patient: parathyroid allotransplantation. Thyroid. 2005 Nov;15(11):1299-302.
- Chapelle T, Meuris K, Roeyen G, De Greef K, Van Beeumen G, Bosmans JL, et al. Simultaneous kidney-parathyroid allotransplantation from a single donor after 20 years of tetany: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2009 Mar;41(2):599-600. doi: 10.1016/j.transproceed.2008.12.026.
- Cabané P1, Gac P, Amat J, Pineda P, Rossi R, Caviedes R, Caviedes P.
Allotransplant of microencapsulated parathyroid tissue in severe postsurgical hypoparathyroidism: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2009 Nov;41(9):3879-83. doi: 10.1016/j.transproceed.2009.06.211.
- Flechner SM, Berber E, Askar M, Stephany B, Agarwal A, Milas M. Allotransplantation of cryopreserved parathyroid tissue for severe hypocalcemia in a renal transplant recipient. Am J Transplant. 2010 Sep;10(9):2061-65. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2010.03234.x.
- Belda González I, del Moral JM, Pérez NM, Soto JB, Orihuela JA. Parathyroid allotransplantation as permanent treatment in a renal transplant patient. Cir Esp. 2012 Mar;90(3):202-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ciresp.2010.09.020. [Article in Spanish]
- Giulianotti PC, D'Amico G, Tzvetanov I, Benedetti E. Living donor parathyroid allotransplantation with robotic transaxillary procurement in a kidney transplant recipient. Transpl Int. 2014 Jun;27(6):e43-5. doi: 10.1111/tri.12269.
- Garcia-Roca R1, Garcia-Aroz S, Tzvetanov IG, Giulianotti PC, Campara M, Oberholzer J, et al. Simultaneous living donor kidney and parathyroid allotransplantation: first case report and review of literature. Transplantation. 2016 Jun;100(6):1318-21. doi: 10.1097/TP.0000000000001042.
- Khryshchanovich V, Ghoussein Y. Allotransplantation of macroencapsulated parathyroid cells as a treatment of severe postsurgical hypoparathyroidism: case report. Ann Saudi Med. 2016 Mar-Apr;36(2):143-7. doi: 10.5144/0256-4947.2016.21.3.1130.
- Al-Azem H, Khan AA. Hypoparathyroidism. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Aug;26(4):517-22. doi: 10.1016/j.beem.2012.01.004.
- Winer KK, Zhang B, Shrader JA, Peterson D, Smith M, Albert PS, et al. Synthetic human parathyroid hormone 1-34 replacement therapy: a randomized crossover trial comparing pump versus injections in the treatment of chronic hypoparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Feb;97(2):391-9. doi: 10.1210/jc.2011-1908.
- Akers DR, Binkley EL, Miller AP. Homotransplantation of parathyroid gland in idiopathic hypoparathyroidism. Pediatrics. 1958 Jun;21(Is 6):974-79.
- Anikandrov BV, Yakovlev AY. Clinical experience in homotransplantation of thyroid and parathyroid glands on vascular stumps. Acta Chir Plast. 1966;8(1):23-31.
- Sollinger HW, Mack E, Cook K, Belzer FO. Allotransplantation of human parathyroid tissue without immunosuppression. Transplantation. 1983 Dec;36(6):599-602.
- Nawrot I, Wozniewicz B, Tołłoczko T, Sawicki A, Górski A, Chudziński W, et al. Allotransplantation of cultured parathyroid progenitor cells without immunosuppression: clinical results. Transplantation. 2007 Mar 27;83(6):734-40.
- Saxe AW, Gibson G, Elfont E. In vitro assessment of parathyroid immunogenicity: the effect of cryopreservation. Surgery. 1990 Jul;108(1):56-62.
- Rahusen F, Munda R, Hariharan S, First MR, Demmy A. Combined kidney-pancreas and parathyroid transplantation: a case report. Clin Transplant. 1997 Aug;11(4):341-43.
220116, the Republic of Belarus,
Minsk, Dzerzhinski str., 83,
EE «Belarusian State Medical University»,
Department of surgical diseases N2.
Tel.: +375 17 287-86-52
Fax: + 375 17 201-91-60
Vladimir Y. Khryshchanovich
Khryshchanovich V.Y. MD, Ass. Professor of department N2 of surgical diseases, EE "Belarusian State Medical University".
Vershinin P.Y. Head of the nephrology and hemodyalysis unit, ME "The 9th City Clinical Hospital".
Bolshov A.V. PhD, Ass. Professor of department N2 of surgical diseases, EE "Belarusian State Medical University".
Tretyak S.I. Honored Worker of Science of the Republic of Belarus, MD, Professor, Corresponding Member of NAS of Belarus, Head of department N2 of surgical diseases, EE "Belarusian State Medical University".
Kuzmenkova E.I. Head of the endocrinology unit of SE "Republican Center of Medical Rehabilitation and Balneotherapy".
Pisarenko A.M. Head of the department of head and neck tumors of ME "Minsk City Clinical Oncologic Dispensary".
Khodosovskaya E.V. Senior researcher of the laboratory of biochemical methods of investigation, EE "Belarusian State Medical University".
Kolesnikova T.S. Senior researcher of the laboratory of biochemical methods of investigation, EE "Belarusian State Medical University".
Rummo O.O. Honored Worker of Science of the Republic of Belarus, MD, professor, Deputy Chief of surgery, ME "The 9th City Clinical Hospital", Minsk, Chief Freelance transplantologist of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus.