This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 2
K.V. PUCHKOV1, D.A. KHUBEZOV1,2, D.K. PUCHKOV1,2, R.V. LUKANIN2
ARE THERE ANY FACTORS AFFECTING THE SPECIMEN QUALITY OF TOTAL MESORECTUMECTOMY?
SBEE HPE "Ryazan State Medical University Named after Academician I.P. Pavlov"1
SBE RR "Regional Clinical Hospital", 2
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To analyze the results of performing the total mesorectumectomy (TME) via the an open and laparoscopic access and identification of the factors affecting the quality of TME specimen.
Methods. Open prospective randomized trials have been conducted, including patients (n=193) who underwent the total mesorectumectomy with the deriving the loop stoma due to middle- and lower-ampullar rectal cancer. The potential factors affecting TME quality were analyzed: age, sex, pelvic dimensions, previous operations on the abdominal and pelvic organs, neoadjuvant radiation therapy, the size and location of the tumor, a surgical access, TNM stage of the tumor process.
Results. Out of 193 resections, 117 (60,6%) have been carried out via laparoscopic access, and 76 (39,4%) – via an open access. Within the operation conversion from laparoscopic to open surgery was made in 4 cases (2,07%). Quality of TME specimen in 132 (68,4%) cases was evaluated as "completed", in 56 (29%) – as "almost completed"», and in 5 (2,6%) – as "uncompleted." "Uncompleted" samples of preparations were obtained in case of tumor location on the anterior wall – 3 (60%) cases and on the posterior side – 2 (40%) cases. Circular resection margin (CRM) was positive in 6 (3,1%) specimens, 5 (2,6%) of which were "completed" and 1 (0,51%) was "uncompleted". In one case (0,51%) "uncompleted" specimen in presence of N1c stage as well as in 1 (0,51%) case in the patient with the degree of tumor invasion – T4b was obtained.
Conclusion. Male gender, "difficult" pelvis anatomy, the location of the tumor on the anterior surface of the rectum and circularly, may potentially affect the quality of the specimen in patients who had undergone TME for the rectal cancer.
- Campa-Thompson M, Weir R, Calcetera N, Quirke P, Carmack S. Pathologic processing of the total mesorectal excision. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2015 Mar;28(1):43-52. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1545069.
- Kulikov EP, Riazantsev ME, Zubareva TP, Sudakov IB, Kaminskii IuD, Sudakov AI, i dr. Dinamika zabolevaemosti i smertnosti ot zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovanii v Riazanskoi oblasti v 2004-2014 godakh [Dynamics of morbidity and mortality from cancer in the Ryazan region in 2004-2014 years]. Ros Med-Biol Vestn im akad IP Pavlova. 2015;(4):109-14.
- Deng H, Chen H, Zhao L, Shen Z, Wang Y, Lan X, et al. Quality of laparoscopic total mesorectal excision: results from a single institution in China. Hepatogastroenterology. 2015 Mar-Apr;62(138):264-67.
- Leonard D, Penninckx F, Fieuws S, Jouret-Mourin A, Sempoux C, Jehaes C, et al. PROCARE, a multidisciplinary Belgian Project on Cancer of the Rectum. Factors predicting the quality of total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Ann Surg. 2010 Dec;252(6):982-88. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181efc142.
- Heald RJ, Husband EM, Ryall RD. The mesorectum in rectal cancer surgery–the clue to pelvic recurrence? Br J Surg. 1982 Oct;69(10):613-16.
- Quirke P. Training and quality assurance for rectal cancer: 20 years of data is enough. Lancet Oncol. 2003 Nov;4(11):695-702.
- Laurent C, Leblanc F, Wütrich P, Scheffler M, Rullier E. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer: long-term oncologic results. Ann Surg. 2009 Jul;250(1):54-61. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181ad6511.
- Simunovic MR, DeNardi FG, Coates AJ, Szalay DA, Eva KW. Product analysis and initial reliability testing of the total mesorectal excision-quality assessment instrument. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Jul;21(7):2274-9. doi: 10.1245/s10434-014-3604-y.
- Maslekar S, Sharma A, Macdonald A, Gunn J, Monson JR, Hartley JE. Mesorectal grades predict recurrences after curative resection for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007 Feb;50(2):168-75.
- Phang PT1. Total mesorectal excision: technical aspects. Can J Surg. 2004 Apr;47(2):130-7.
- Baik SH, Kim NK, Lee KY, Sohn SK, Cho CH, Kim MJ, et al. Factors influencing pathologic results after total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: analysis of consecutive 100 cases. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Mar;15(3):721-28.
- Khat'kov IE, Makhonina EM. Topografoanatomicheskie usloviia povysheniia bezopasnosti vypolneniia endovideokhirurgicheskikh operatsii na priamoi kishke [Topographic-anatomical conditions of improve safety of endovideosurgical operations performance on the rectum.]. Endoskop Khirurgiia. 2006;(2):145-46.
- Ballian N, Lubner MG, Munoz A, Harms BA, Heise CP, Foley EF, et al. Visceral obesity is associated with outcomes of total mesorectal excision for rectal adenocarcinoma. J Surg Oncol. 2012 Mar 15;105(4):365-70. doi: 10.1002/jso.22031.
- Rickles AS, Iannuzzi JC, Mironov O, Deeb AP, Sharma A, Fleming FJ, Monson JR. Visceral obesity and colorectal cancer: are we missing the boat with BMI? J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Jan;17(1):133-43; discussion p.143. doi: 10.1007/s11605-012-2045-9.
- Vennix S, Pelzers L, Bouvy N, Beets GL, Pierie JP, Wiggers T, et al. Laparoscopic versus open total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Apr 15;(4):CD005200. doi: 10.1002/14651858.
- Khubezov DA, Rodimov SV, Puchkov DK, Lukanin RV, Iudina EA. Osobennosti primeneniia protokola uskorennoi reabilitatsii v kolorektal'noi khirurgii [Features of the application of accelerated rehabilitation protocol in colorectal surgery]. Ros Med-Biol Vestn im akad IP Pavlova. 2016;(1):134-41.
- Mendez MA, Wilcox R, Callas PW, Cataldo P. Tumor Location may Affect Total Mesorectal Excision Quality. Colorec Cancer. 2016,2:1. doi: 10.21767/2471-9943.100012.
390026, Russian Federation,
Ryazan, Vyisokovoltnaya str., 9
Department of Surgery with the
course endosurgery FDPO,
Tel.: 7(952) 122-81-85
Puchkov K.V. MD, Professor of the surgery department with the course of endosurgery, the faculty of supplementary professional education, SBEE HPE "Ryazan State Medical University named after Academician I.P.Pavlov".
Khubezov D.A. MD, Professor, Head of the surgery department with the course of endosurgery of the faculty of supplementary professional education, SBEE HPE "Ryazan State Medical University named after Academician I.P.Pavlov", Head of the coloproctology department, SBE RR "Regional Clinical Hospital".
Puchkov D.K. PhD, Assistant of the surgery department with the course of endosurgery, the faculty of supplementary professional education, SBEE HPE "Ryazan State Medical University named after Academician I.P.Pavlov", Coloproctologist of the coloproctology department, SBE RR "Regional Clinical Hospital".
Lukanin R.V. Coloproctologist of the coloproctology department, SBE RR "Regional Clinical Hospital".