This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 2
OPTIMIZATION OF HAEMODYNAMICS AND HYDROBALANCE WITH TRANSPULMONAL THERMODILUTION WHILE APPLYING CONTINUOUS METHODS OF RENAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY IN PATIENTS WITH SEVERE SEPSIS AND MULTIPLE ORGAN DYSFUNCTION
EE "Grodno State Medical University",
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To evaluate the effectiveness of PiCCO monitoring parameters for making a decision on the regulation of hydrobalance and correction of hemodynamics during the continuous veno-venous haemofiltration (CVVHF) or haemodiafiltration (CVVHDF) in severe sepsis with multiple organ dysfunction.
Methods. 36 sessions of renal replacement therapy (RRT) (14 – CVVHF and 22 – CVVHDF) in 18 patients with sepsis resulting in multiple organ dysfunction syndrome have been analyzed. Hemodynamic parameters and hydrobalance was measured in 15 cases using the invasive PiCCO monitor during the CVVHDF procedure every 4-6 hours. In 21 cases the assessment of hemodynamics and hydrobalance was carried out by the non-invasive measurement of the mean arterial pressure (MAP) and central venous pressure (CVP).
Results. It was found out that the critical period of haemodynamics during the sessions of RRT was every 4-6 hour from the beginning of the procedure. Within this period a significant reduction of MAP was observed. Critical changes of MAP in patients monitored by the PiCCO were not recorded. There were no significant changes in the cardiac index despite the ultrafiltration and the positive dynamics manifested by reduction of global end-diastolic volume index (GEDI) and the extravascular lung water index (ELWI) just 6 hours from the session onset. This stability was due to the early physicians response to the change of PiCCO parameters, without waiting for the systematic blood pressure reduction in an adequate dose correction of inotropic support and regulation of the ultrafiltration rate in its reducing or complete stopping, as well as by the prescription of vasopressor support.
Conclusion. PiCCO monitoring turned out to be effective for making a decision on the regulation and correction of hemodynamics and hydrobalance during CVVHF or CVVHDF in severe sepsis with multiple organ dysfunction syndrome.
- Kuz'kov VV, Kirov MIu. Invazivnyi monitoring gemodinamiki v intensivnoi terapii i anesteziologii [Invasive hemodynamic monitoring in the intensive care and anesthesiology]. Arkhangel'sk: SGMU, RF; 2008. 244 p.
- Krishnagopalan S, Kumar A, Parrillo JE, Kumar A. Myocardial dysfunction in the patient with sepsis. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2002 Oct;8(5):376-88.
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Carlet JM, Bion J, Parker MM, Jaeschke R, et al. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008. Crit Care Med. 2008 Jan;36(1):296-327. doi: 10.1097/01.CCM.0000298158.12101.41.
- Martin-Loeches I, Levy MM, Artigas A. Management of severe sepsis: advances, challenges, and current status. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2015 Apr 9;9:2079-88. doi: 10.2147/DDDT.S78757. eCollection 2015.
- Panagiotou A, Gaiao S, Cruz DN. Extracorporeal therapies in sepsis. J Intensive Care Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;28(5):281-95. doi: 10.1177/0885066611425759.
- Alobaidi R, Basu RK, Goldstein SL, Bagshaw SM. Sepsis-Associated Acute Kidney Injury. Semin Nephrol. 2015 Jan; 35(1):2-11. doi: 10.1016/j.semnephrol.2015.01.002.
- Du C, Cai H, Shao S, Yan Q. Efficacies of continuous high volume hemofiltration in severe sepsis patients with multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2015 Jan 20;95(3):210-13. [Article in Chinese]
- Kelman GR. Interpretation of CVP measurements. Anaesthesia. 1971 Apr; 26(2): 209-15. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.1971.tb04764.x.
- Heise D, Faulstich M, Mörer O, Bräuer A, Quintel M. Influence of continuous renal replacement therapy on cardiac output measurement using thermodilution techniques. Minerva Anestesiol. 2012 Mar;78(3):315-21.
- Schmidt S, Westhoff T, Schlattmann P, Zidek W, Compton F. Analysis of transpulmonary thermodilution data confirms the influence of renal replacement therapy on thermodilution hemodynamic measurements. Anesth Analg. 2016 May;122(5):1474-79. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000001191.
- Baulig W, Schuett P, Goedje O, Schmid ER. Accuracy of a novel approach to measuring arterial thermodilution cardiac output during intra-aortic counterpulsation. J Clin Monit Comput. 2007 Jun;21(3):147-53. doi: 10.1007/s10877-007-9068-x.
- Marx G. Fluid therapy in sepsis with capillary leakage. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2003 Jun;20(6):429-42.
- Khan S, Trof RJ, Groeneveld AB. Transpulmonary dilution-derived extravascular lung water as a measure of lung edema. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2007 Jun;13(3):303-7. doi: 10.1097/MCC.0b013e32811d6ccd.
230000, Republic of Belarus,
Grodno, Gorky str., 80, EE "Grodno
State Medical University", Department
of anesthesiology and intensive care.
Tel.: 375 152 43-40-85
Ruslan E. Yakubtsevich
Yakubtsevich R.E. PhD, Ass. Professor of the department of anesthesiology and critical care medicine, EE "Grodno State Medical University".