This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 3
V. I. TEMIRBULATOV1, 2, M. E. KLETKIN2
POSTTRAUMATIC LEFT-SIDED DIAPHRAGMATIC HERNIA COMPLICATED BY STRANGULATION
FSEE HE "Kursk State Medical University" MH RF 1
BME "Kursk regional clinical hospital" 2
The Russian Federation
Post-traumatic strangulated diaphragmatic hernia is characterized by the complexity of diagnosis and a significant number of diagnostic errors, which are fraught with the occurrence of severe complications, up to a lethal outcome. Significant difficulties in diagnosing occur in patients with previously undiagnosed lesions of the diaphragm with thoracoabdominal injuries. Even small-sized diaphragm wounds can lead at various intervals after injury to the dislocation of abdominal organs into the pleural cavity through defects in the diaphragm.Even small-sized diaphragm injury can lead and to the dislocation of abdominal organs into the thoracic cavity through a defect in the diaphragm at various intervals after the injury. The paper presents a clinical case of the posttraumatic strangulated left-sided diaphragmatic hernia complicated by gangrene of the jejunum and transverse colon in a 24 year-old patient. The incarceration occurred 16 months after the undiagnosed left-sided stabbing – cutting thoracoabdominal injury and it was diagnosed only on the third day due to the indistinct clinical symptoms, and the surgery due to organizational issues was carried out in four days after the incarceration in another hospital (regional clinical hospital with a specialized department of thoracic surgery). Despite the severity of complications caused by the strangulated hernia and a long time period priota surgery as well as the traumatic character of the operation, performed consistently via thoracotomy and laparotomy bypass, the patient has recovered.
- Aliev SA, Rafiev SF, Zeinalov BM. Diagnostika i khirurgicheskoe lechenie razryvov diafragmy [Diagnosis and surgical treatment of diaphragm ruptures]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2010;(10):22-28.
- Andreev AL, Protsenko AV, Globin AV. Laparoskopicheskaia operatsiia pri posttravmaticheskoi diafragmal'noi gryzhe, oslozhnennoi ushchemleniem i tolstokishechnoi neprokhodimost'iu [Laparoscopic surgery for posttraumatic diaphragmatic hernia complicated by infringement and colonic obstruction]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im. NI Pirogova. 2010;(5):82-85.
- Bagdasarova EA, Antonov AN, Abagian AE, Bagdasarov VV. Osobennosti khirurgicheskoi taktiki pri levostoronnikh koloto-rezanykh torakoabdominal'nykh raneniiakh [Features of surgical tactics with left-sided stab-cut thoracoabdominal wounds]. Grudnaia i Serdechno-Sosudistaia Khirurgiia. 2006;(4):63-66.
- Komarov NV, Komarov RN, Kanashkin OV, Lobanov AV. Razryv diafragmy [Rupture of the diaphragm]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2009;(7):62.
- Sotnichenko BA, Salienko SV, Sotnichenko AB. Diagnostika i lechenie travmaticheskikh ushchemlennykh diafragmal'nykh gryzh [Diagnosis and treatment of traumatic strangulated diaphragmatic hernias]. Grudnaia i Serdechno-Sosudistaia Khirurgiia. 2006;(4):67-71.
- Plaksin SA, Kotel'nikova LP. Dvustoronnie posttravmaticheskie diafragmal'nye gryzhi [Bilateral traumatic diaphragmatic hernia]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2015;174(1):47-51.
- Borisov AE, Kubachev KG, Kukushkin AV, Zarkua NE, Zaitsev DA. Diafragmal'nye gryzhi. Diagnostika i khirurgicheskoe lechenie [Diaphragmatic hernia. Diagnosis and surgical treatment]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2012;171(6):38-42.
- Hirano ES, Silva VG, Bortoto JB, Barros RH, Caserta NM, Fraga GP. Plain chest radiographs for the diagnosis of post-traumatic diaphragmatic hernia. Rev Col Bras Cir. 2012 Jul-Aug;39(4):280-85.[Article in English, Portuguese]
- Eren S, Ciriş F. Diaphragmatic hernia: diagnostic approaches with review of the literature. Eur J Radiol. 2005 Jun;54(3):448-59.
- Plekhanov AN. Khirurgiia travmaticheskikh diafragmal'nykh gryzh [Surgery of traumatic diaphragmatic hernias]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2012;171(5):107-109.
- Altyev BK, Shukurov BI, Kuchkarov OO. Diagnostika i khirurgicheskoe lechenie postravmaticheskikh diafragmal'nykh gryzh [Diagnosis and surgical treatment of post-traumatic diaphragmatic hernias]. Vestn Khirurg Gastroenterologii. 2016(3):147.
305007, the Russian Federation, Kursk, Sumskaya str., 45a,
BMU "Kursk Regional Clinical Hospital"
department of thoracic surgery
Tel.: 7 903 875-30-58,
Maksim E. Kletkin
Temirbulatov V.I. MD, Professor of department of surgical diseases, FSEE HE "Kursk State Medical University" MH RF, Head of department of thoracic surgery, BME "Kursk regional clinical hospital".
Kletkin M.E. Physician of department of thoracic surgery, BME "Kursk regional clinical hospital".