This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 3
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
V.I. BELOKONEV 1,2, N.E. GALSTYAN 1,2, S.Y. PUSHKIN 1,3, X.V. KOVALEVA1,2, E.V. SELEZNEVA 2
SPECIFIC FEATURES OF SURGICAL TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PRIMARY AND TERTIARY HYPERPARATHYROIDISM
SMEE HPE "Samara State Medical University" 1,
MBE "City Clinical Hospital N1 named after N.I.Pirogov", 2,
SBME "Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after V.D.Seredavin" 3,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To substantiate the indications, volume and operation technique in patients with primary and tertiary hyperparathyroidism in combination with the pathology of the thyroid gland.
Methods. The treatment of patients (n=63) with hyperparathyroidism aged 20-80 years has been analyzed. 23 patients suffered from primary and 40 – tertiary hyperparathyroidism. There were 19 males (31,7%) and 41 females (68,3%). The diagnosis was made on the basis of patients complaints of pain in the bones, muscles, skin itching, the level of total and ionized calcium, inorganic phosphorus and value of parathyrotrophic hormone (PTH > 300 pg/ml). The operations were carried out via a Kocher’s incision on the anterior surface of the neck. In repeated interventions unilateral access according to V.I. Razumovsky was used. Surgeries in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism were aimed to remove the parathyroid adenoma, and with tertiary hyperparathyroidism – to complete removal of the parathyroid glands. Thyroidectomy was performed in combination with the thyroid disease and more rarely its subtotal resection.
Results. Out of 23 patients with primary hyperparathyroidism the removal of adenoma and thyroidectomy was performed in 14 cases, adenoma and subtotal resection of the thyroid gland – in 3. In 18 patients out of 40 with tertiary hyperparathyroidism the removal of hyperplastic parathyroid glands was combined with thyroidectomy, in 7 – with the resection of the thyroid gland. Comparison of ultrasound and CT values with the operational data showed that those methods tentatively indicated the number and locations of parathyroid adenomas. In 23 patients with primary and 37 patients with tertiary hyperparathyroidism the treatment outcomes are good; there were 3 cases of disease recurrence.
Conclusion. Treatment of patients with primary hyperparathyroidism is aimed to remove adenoma and in the case of tertiary hyperparathyroidism – to remove completely the parathyroid glands.
- Zarivchatskii MF, Denisov SA, Dil'man AB, Blinov SA. Diagnostika i lechenie vtorichnogo giperparatireoza u patsientov, nakhodiashchikhsia na programmnom gemodialize [Diagnosis and treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients on programmatic hemodialysis]. V kn: Aktual'nye Voprosy Transfuziologii i Klin Meditsiny. 2015;( Vyp 10). r. 412-14.
- Men'kov AV, Strel'tsov AA, Goshadze KA, Zaitseva IIu, Tikhomirova OS. Znachenie perioperatsionnogo monitoringa kal'tsiia krovi v khirurgii dobrokachestvennykh zabolevanii shchitovidnoi zhelezy [The value of perioperative monitoring of blood calcium in thyroid surgery of benign diseases]. Zhurnal MediAl'. 2013;(3):72-74.
- Egshatian LV, Rozhinskaia LIa, Kuznetsov NS, Kim IV, Artemova AM, Mordik AI, i dr. Lechenie vtorichnogo giperparatireoza, refrakternogo k al'fakal'tsidolu, u patsientov, poluchaiushchikh zamestitel'nuiu pochechnuiu terapiiu programmnym gemodializom [Treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism refractory to alfacalcidol in patients receiving renal replacement therapy by programmatic hemodialysis]. Endokrin Khirurgiia. 2012;(2):27-41.
- Chernykh AV, Maleev IuV, Cherednikov EF, Shevtsov AN, Golovanov DN. Novye dannye po khirurgicheskoi anatomii okoloshchitovidnykh zhelez [New data on the surgical anatomy of the parathyroid glands]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2016; 24(1):26-31. doi: 10.18484/2305-0047.2016.1.26.
- Egshatian LV, Artemova AM, Pasha PS, Rozhinskaia LIa, Kuznetsov NS, Kim IV. Otsenka vozmozhnostei dooperatsionnoi stsintigrafii i ul'trazvukovoi diagnostiki v vizualizatsii okoloshchitovidnykh zhelez u patsientov s vtorichnym giperparatireozom, poluchaiushchikh zamestitel'nuiu pochechnuiu terapiiu programmnym gemodializom [Assessing opportunities of preoperative scintigraphy and ultrasound diagnosis in visualization of parathyroid glands in patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism receiving renal replacement therapy by programmatic hemodialysis]. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2012;14(3):174-80.
- Romanchishen AF. Neotlozhnye sostoianiia v tireoidnoi i paratireoidnoi khirurgii [Emergency conditions in thyroid and parathyroid surgery]. S-Petersburg, RF: Feniks; 2014. 168 p.
- Lennquist S. Pearls and pitfalls in thyroidectomy. Surgery of the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Boston, US: Harvard Medical School; 2004. p. 1-5.
- Romanchishen AF, Vabalaite KV. Rossiiskie prioritety v tireoidnoi khirurgii KhIX – nachala KhKh vekov [Russian priorities in thyroid surgery in XIX - early XX centuries]. S-Petersburg, RF: Feniks; 2013. 198 p.
- Henry LR, Helou LB, Solomon NP, Howard RS, Gurevich-Uvena J, Coppit G, et al. Functional voice outcomes after thyroidectomy: an assessment of the Dsyphonia Severity Index (DSI) after thyroidectomy. Surgery. 2010 Jun;147(6):861-70. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2009.11.017.
- Randolph GW. Surgical anatomy of the recurrent laryngeal nerve. In: Randolph GW, ed. Surgery of thyroid and parathyroid glands. Philadelphia, US: Elsevier; 2003. p. 300-42.
- Evmenova TD, Liamina LG. Otdalennye rezul'taty khirurgicheskogo lecheniia vtorichnogo giperapratireoiza u patsientov, nakhodiashchikhsia na programmnom gemodialize [Long-term results of surgical treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients on programmatic hemodialysis]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2014;173(6):52-53.
- Vachev AN, Frolova EV, Sakhipov DR, Morkovskikh NV. Klinicheskoe nabliudenie bol'noi s pervichnym giperparatireozom i uzlovym toksicheskim zobom [Clinical observation of a patient with primary hyperparathyroidism and nodular toxic goiter]. Endokrin Khirurgiia. 2015;(1):42-47.
- Fadeev VV. Po materialam klinicheskikh rekomendatsii Evropeiskoi tireoidnoi assotsiatsii po diagnostike i lecheniiu subklinicheskogo tireotoksikoza [According to the materials of clinical guidelines by the European Thyroid Association for the diagnosis and treatment of subclinical hyperthyroidism]. Klin i Eksperim Tireoidologiia. 2016;12(1):11-15.
443099, Russian Federation,
Samara, Chapaevskaya str., 89,
Samara State medcal Univesity
Department of surgical diseases N2.
Tel.: +7 846 207-32-83
Vladimir I. Belokonev
Belokonev V.I. MD, Professor, Honored Physician of the Russian Federation, Head, department of surgical diseases N2, SMEE HPE " Samara State Medical University".
Galastyan N.E. Surgeon, MBE "City Clinical Hospital N1 named after N.I.Pirogov", Senior Laboratory Assistant, department of surgical diseases N2, SMEE HPE "Samara State Medical University".
Pushkin S.Y. Deputy Chief on Surgery, SBME "Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after V.D.Seredavin", MD, Ass. Professor, department of the surgical diseases N2, SMEE HPE "Samara State Medical University".
Kovaleva Z.V. PhD, Assistant, department of the surgical diseases N2, SMEE HPE "Samara State Medical University".
Starostina A.A. PhD, Surgeon, "City Clinical Hospital N1 named after N.I.Pirogov".