This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 3
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
I.V. SHIPITSYNA, E.V. OSIPOVA, L.V. ROZOVA
ADHESIVE POTENTIAL OF CLINICAL STRAINS OF ENTEROBACTER CLOACAE ISOLATED FROM THE WOUNDS OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC OSTEOMYELITIS AND THEIR SENSITIVITY TO ANTIMICROBIAL PREPARATIONS
FSB "Russian State Scientific Centre "Restorative
traumatology and orthopaedics" named after the academician G.A.Ilizarov of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation",
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study adhesive properties of Enterobacter cloacae strains isolated from the wounds of patients with chronic osteomyelitis and to evaluate the sensitivity to the antibacterial preparations used in clinical practice.
Methods. The clinical strains of Enterobacter cloacae (n=18) isolated preoperatively from the fistulas and from the inflammatary focus within the surgery in patients (n=18) with chronic osteomyelitis of long tubular bones for the period of 2015-2016 were studied. The biofilm-forming potential of monocultures of strain E. cloacae and their associations obtained in vitro were investigated: E. cloacae+ S. aureus (n=6), E. cloacae+ S. epidermidis (n=5), E. cloacae+P. aeruginosa (n=3). The sensitivity of isolated E. cloacae strains to the antibacterial preparations used in clinical practice was determined.
Results. Strains of Enterobacter cloacae were characterized by average biofilm-forming potential, and on the 2nd day of the experiment the level of biofilm formation was reliably higher than daily values. In co-cultivation of E. cloacae and S. aureus bacteria had led to the reduction of biofilm formation. In co-cultivation of E. cloacae, P. aeruginosa, E. cloacae and S. epidermidis bacteria the potential of biofilm formation was higher comparing with pure cultures of the studied strains.
The performed study demonstrated 100% resistance of E. cloacae bacteria to ampicillin, ceftriaxone and amoksiklav. Enterobacter bacteria can produce the enzymes of ß-lactamase hydrolyzed ß-lactam antibiotics, and therefore there is a high percentage of resistant strains. Imipenem and meropenem were the most effective to E. cloacae strains among antibacterial preparations.
Conclusion. The ability of clinical strains of E. cloacae to adhesion by forming a biofilm, as well as the high resistance to antimicrobial drugs testify to a significant pathogenic potential that should be taken into account in diagnosing and treating chronic osteomyelitis.
- Zuluaga AF, Galvis W, Saldarriaga JG, Vesga O. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(1):95-100. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.1.95.
- Krapivina IV, Mironov AIu. Mikrobiologicheskii monitoring v optimizatsii antibakterial'noi terapii vnutribol'nichnykh infektsii v otdeleniiakh reanimatsii i intensivnoi terapii i otdeleniiakh khirurgicheskogo profilia [Microbiological monitoring in optimization of antibiotic therapy of nosocomial infections in intensive care units and intensive care units and surgical sections.]. Kursk nauch-prakt vestn "Chelovek i Ego Zdorov'e". 2009;(1):81-87.
- Sergevnin VI, Kliukina TV, Volkova EO, Reshetnikova NI, Kliuchareva NM. Formirovanie ustoichivosti Enterobacter cloacae i Pseudomonas aerogenosa k dezinfektantam pod vozdeistviem bakteritsidnykh kontsentratsii preparatov v eksperimente [Formation of resistance of Enterobacter cloacae and Pseudomonas aerogenosa to disinfectants under the influence of bactericidal concentrations of preparations in the experiment]. Med Al'm. 2015;5:112-15.
- Deshpande LM, Jones RN, Fritsche TR, Sader HS. Occurrence and characterization of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae: report from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (2000-2004). Microb Drug Resist. 2006 Winter;12(4):223-30.
- Mezzatesta ML, Gona F, Stefani S. Enterobacter cloacae complex: clinical impact and emerging antibiotic resistance. Future Microbiol. 2012 Jul;7(7):887-902. doi: 10.2217/fmb.12.61.
- Kanellakopoulou K, Giannitsioti E, Papadopoulos A, Athanassia S, Giamarellos-Bourboulis EJ, Giamarellou H. Chronic bone infections due to Enterobacter cloacae: current therapeutic trends and clinical outcome. J Chemother. 2009 Apr;21(2):226-28.
- Brilis VI, Brilene TA, Lentsner KhP, Lentsner AA. Metodika izucheniia adgezivnogo protsessa mikroorganizmov [Method for studying the adhesive process of microorganisms]. Lab Delo. 1986.;(4):210-12.
- Shipitsyna IV, Osipova EV, Godovykh NV. Otsenka adgezivnoi aktivnosti bakterii, vydelennykh u patsientov s infitsirovannymi endoprotezami krupnykh sustavov [Assessment of the adhesive activity of bacteria isolated from patients with large joint endoprostheses infected]. Klin Lab Diagnostika. 2014;59(6):59-61.
- Tets VV, Tets GV. Mikrobnye bioplenki i problemy antibiotikoterapii [Microbial biofilms and problems of antibiotic therapy. Atmosphere]. Atmosfera. Pul'monologiia i Allergologiia. 2013;(4):60-64.
- . Bukharin O.V., Ginzburg A.L., Romanova Iu.M., El'-Registan G.I. Mekhanizmy vyzhivaniia bakterii [Mechanisms of survival of bacteria]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 2005. 367 p.
- Miller GG. Biologicheskoe znachenie assotsiatsii mikroorganizmov [Biological significance of microorganism associations]. Vestnik RAMN. 2000;(1):45-51.
- Kwon AS, Park GC, Ryu SY, Lim DH, Lim DY, Choi CH, et al. Higher biofilm formation in multidrug-resistant clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2008 Jul;32(1):68-72. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2008.02.009.
640014, Russia, Kurgan, M. Ulyanova str.,
6, FSB "Russian State Scientific Centre
"Restorative traumatology and orthopaedics" named after the academician G.A.Ilizarov of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation,
laboratory of microbiology and immunology, Tel.: 8-909-179-26-01,
Irina V. Shipitsyna
Shipitsyna I.V. PhD (Biology), Researcher of laboratory of microbiology and immunology, FSB "Russian State Scientific Centre "Restorative traumatology and orthopaedics" named after the academician G.A.Ilizarov of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Osipova E.V. PhD (Biology), Leading Researcher of laboratory of microbiology and immunology of FSB "Russian State Scientific Centre
"Restorative traumatology and orthopaedics" named after the academician G.A.Ilizarov of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Rozova L.V. Junior researcher of laboratory of microbiology and immunology, of FSB "Russian State Scientific Centre "Restorative traumatology and orthopaedics" named after the academician G.A.Ilizarov of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.