This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2018 Vol. 26 No 2
S.V. IVANOV1, A.V. GOLIKOV1, O.S. GORBACHEVA2, I.S. IVANOV1
GIANT INGUINAL HERNIA IN A WOMAN
Kursk State Medical University1,
Kursk Regional Clinical Hospital2, Kursk
The Russian Federation
The article presents a clinical case of treatment of a 55-year-old patient with an incarcerated inguinal hernia of «giant» size. At hospitalization, the patient complained of having a bulging anterior abdominal wall in the inguinal area of «giant» sizes (25×30 cm), the pain with straining, self-service problems and cosmetic difficulties. The history of the disease is more than 40 years, when the first hernia protrusion in the right inguinal region appeared, freely inserted into the abdominal cavity. The patient has never turned for help to any medical establishment. Hernia protrusion gradually increased in size. Recently, the pain syndrome, which occurred with physical activity, coughing, sneezing and rapid growth of hernia size have joined to the symptoms mentioned above. However, the cause of the treatment in the clinic was not a cosmetic defect, but the fact of the hernia irreducibility. After a comprehensive examination, the patient underwent hernia repair, the plastic of the anterior abdominal wall with a polypropylene surgical mesh according to the «onlay» technique. The postoperative period occurred without any exudative complications and manifestations of the compartment syndrome. The given clinical case is interesting as a possible treatment option for a fairly rare, «giant» size inguinal hernia in women.
- Simons MP, Aufenacker T, Bay-Nielsen M, Bouillot JL, Campanelli G, Conze J, de Lange D, Fortelny R, Heikkinen T, Kingsnorth A, Kukleta J, Morales-Conde S, Nordin P, Schumpelick V, Smedberg S, Smietanski M, Weber G, Miserez M. European Hernia Society guidelines on the treatment of inguinal hernia in adult patients. Hernia. 2009 Aug;13(4):343-403. doi: 10.1007/s10029-009-0529-7.
- Liem MS, van der Graaf Y, Zwart RC, Geurts I, van Vroonhoven TJ. Risk factors for inguinal hernia in women: a case-control study. Am J Epidemiol. 1997 Nov 1;146(9):721-26.
- Vinnik IuS, Petrushko SI, Nazar’iants IuA, Chaikin AA, Klimov NIu, Pakhomova RA. Anatomicheskaia i klinicheskaia kharakteristika u bol’nykh s pakhovymi gryzhami. Kuban Nauch Med Vestn. 2013;(3):33-36. (in Russ.)
- Rutenburg GM, Bezhenar’ VF, Strizheletskii VV, Zhemchuzhina TIu, Gordeeva TV. Simul’tannye laparoskopicheskie operatsii u zhenshchin s sochetannymi ginekologicheskimi zabolevaniiami i pakhovymi gryzhami. Zhurn Akusherstva i Zhen Boleznei. 2006;LV(1):63-69. (in Russ.)
- Musaev AI, Zhamankulova MK, Samarbekov NS. Sovremennye podkhody k lecheniiu pakhovykh gryzh. Vestn KGMA im IK Akhunbaeva. 2016;(4):63-65.
- Desai AY, Shirsat D, Pai VD. Giant inguinal hernia repair leading to the diagnosis of complete androgen insensitivity syndrome in an elderly lady. J Health Med Informat. 2015;6:211. doi: 10.4172/2157-7420.1000211.
- Vagholkar K, Iyengar M, Vagholkar S. Inguinal hernia in females: do we know enough? Int Surg J. 2016 Feb;3(1):354-56. doi: 10.18203/2349-2902.isj20160074.
305041, The Russian Federation,
Kursk, Karl Marx Str., 3,
Kursk State Medical University,
Department of Surgical Diseases ¹ 1.
Tel. office:+7 4712 35-36-90
Ivanov Il’ya S.
Ivanov Sergej V., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹ 1, Kursk State Medical University, Kursk, Russian Federation.
Golikov Al’bert V., PhD, Associate Professor of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹ 1, Kursk State Medical University, Kursk, Russian Federation.
Gorbacheva Ol’ga S., PhD, Head of the General Surgery Unit, Kursk Regional Clinical Hospital, Kursk, Russian Federation.
Ivanov Il’ya S., MD, Professor of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹ 1, Kursk State Medical University, Kursk, Russian Federation.