This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2018 Vol. 26 No 2
A RARE CASE OF SURGICAL TREATMENT OF THE GIANT LIVER HEMANGIOMA
Grodno State Medical University, Grodno,
The Republic of Belarus
Hemangioma of the liver is its frequent benign tumor. However, giant hemangiomas of the liver are a rare pathology. The purpose of this message is to demonstrate the successful surgical treatment of the liver giant left lobe hemangioma. The patient for a long time has linked the abdomen gradual enlargement in volume with pregnancy. The main reason for her turn for help was the presence of signs of partial intestinal obstruction and anemia. Abdominal ultrasound demonstrated the presence of tumor masses originating from the left lobe of the liver. Red blood cell transfusion in the preoperative period to correct anemia was accompanied by a pronounced enlargement of the hemangioma in 4-6 hours after transfusion, with its subsequent reduction up to the initial state during the next 24-48 hours. During laparotomy it was found out that the left lobe of the liver presented by hemangioma occupying the entire abdominal cavity. Hemangioma was removed by the resection of the left lobe of the liver. The postoperative period was uneventful. During the next 12 months of observation, the patient felt satisfactory, without any complaints. According to the biochemical blood analysis the liver function was not impaired.
- Novozhilov AV, Chikoteev SP, Grigor’ev SE, Grigor’ev EG, Movsisjan MO, Klejmenova NS, Magolina OV. Giant hepatic hemangioma combined with generalized sarcoidosis. Annaly Khirurg Gepatologii. 2017;22(1):112-17. (in Russ.)
- Polysalov VN, Granov DA. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie gemangiom pecheni: zavisimost’ khirurgicheskoj taktiki ot formy zabolevanija. Vopr Onkologii. 2003;49(5):630-35. (in Russ.)
- Gupta Sh, Agarwal V, Acharya A. Spontaneous rupture of a giant hepatic hemangioma-report of a case. Indian J Surg. 2012 Oct;74(5): 434-36. doi: 10.1007/s12262-011-0309-3.
- Angelica MD. What is riskier for the patient with an asymptomatic large hepatic hemangioma: observation or the surgeon? World J Surg. 2013 Jun;37(6):1313-14.
- Chardarov NK, Ganiev FA, Bagmet NN, Skipenko OG. Liver hemangiomas: the surgical point of view. Annaly Khirurg Gepatologii. 2012;17(1):86-93. (in Russ.)
- Yedibela S, Alibek S, Müller V, Aydin U, Langheinrich M, Lohmüller C, Hohenberger W, Perrakis A. Management of hemangioma of the liver: surgical therapy or observation? World J Surg. 2013 Jun;37(6):1303-12. doi: 10.1007/s00268-013-1904-1.
- Zhang X, Yan L, Li B, Wen T, Wang W, Xu M, Wei Y, Yang J. Comparison of laparoscopic radiofrequency ablation versus open resection in the treatment of symptomatic-enlarging hepatic hemangiomas: a prospective study. Surg Endosc. 2016 Feb;30(2):756-63. doi: 10.1007/s00464-015-4274-y.
- Kim SH, Kim KH, Kirchner VA, Lee SK. Pure laparoscopic right hepatectomy for giant hemangioma using anterior approach. Surg Endosc. 2017 May;31(5):2338-2339. doi: 10.1007/s00464-016-5224-z.
- Strzelczyk J, Bialkowska J, Loba J, Jablkowski M. Rapid growth of liver hemangioma following interferon treatment for hepatitis C in a young woman. Hepatogastroenterology. 2004 Jul-Aug;51(58):1151-53.
- Aksenov IV, Fedorchenko AN. Hepatic hemangioma: the choice of treatment. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2010;(6):40-42. (in Russ.)
- Herman P, Costa ML, Machado MA, Pugliese V, D’Albuquerque LA, Machado MC, Gama-Rodrigues JJ, Saad WA. Management of hepatic hemangiomas: a 14-year experience. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005 Jul-Aug;9(6):853-59.
- Noda T, Sasaki Y, Yamada T, Eguchi H, Takachi K, Noura S, Miyashiro I, Murata K, Doki Y, Ohigashi H, Ishikawa O, Imaoka S, Mitani H, Ishiguro S. Adult capillary hemangioma of the liver: report of a case. Surg Today. 2005;35(9):796-99.
210023, The Republic of Belarus,
Grodno, Sozialisticheskaya Str., 14, ap. 7,
Tel.:+375 298 227 188,
Iaskevich Nikolai N.
Iaskevich Nikolai N., MD, Professor of the 1st Department of Surgical Diseases, Grodno State Medical University, Grodno, Republic of Belarus