This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 1
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
V.N. ZASIMOVICH, A.S. KARPITSKI, A.M. NAZARUK, YA.A. MALASHCHYTSKI, M.N. BARYSENKA, A.S. ZHYMAILA, A.I. ARLAVETS
RETROGRADE LOOP ENDARTERECTOMY IN ATHEROSCLEROTIC OCCLUSION OF THE FEMORAL ARTERY
Brest Regional Hospital, Brest,
The Republic of Belarus
Objective. To compare the immediate and long-term surgical treatment results of the superficial femoral artery occlusion by the retrograde loop endarterectomy and femoral-popliteal bypass grafting above the knee joint space with a synthetic prosthesis.
Methods. From 2011 to 2015, 192 revascularizations of the limb were performed in the atherosclerotic superficial femoral artery occlusion. Patients were divided into groups two depending on the revascularization technique: the 1st group (n=133) – patients who underwent the retrograde loop endarterectomy, the 2nd group (n=59) – patients who underwent femoral-popliteal bypass grafting above the knee joint space.
Results. Technical success was obtained in 100% of observations. After revascularization, the increase in the mean value of the ankle-brachial index was 0.43±0.03 in the group I, 0.41±0.04 in the group II (M±σ). Thrombosis of the desublimated segment developed in 6 patients (4.5%) of the Group I, thrombosis of the shunt – in 3 patients (5.1%) of the Group II. Long-term results were studied in the terms of 1-3 years. Survival rate after 1 year and 3 years in the group I was 97.7% è 92.5% respectively, in the group II – 98.3% è 91.5%.
Primary patency in the group I after 1 and 3 years made up 89.5% and 64.7% respectively, in the group II – 74.6% and 49.2%.
The primary level of limb preservation in the group I after 1 and 3 years was 94.0% and 85.0%, respectively. And in the group II, the same indicator was noticeably lower, and in 1 and 3 years was 84.7% and 62.7%, respectively.
Conclusions. The retrograde loop endarterectomy shows better results in the postoperative and distant periods compared to femoral-popliteal bypass grafting above the knee joint with a synthetic prosthesis. Retrograde looped endarterectomy can be the operation of choice in case of primary surgical intervention on isolated atherosclerotic occlusion of superficial femoral artery.
- Abramov IS, Maitesyan DA, Lazaryan TA. Semi-closed endarterectomy from the superficial femoral artery. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2014;20(3):165-69. http://www.angiolsurgery.org/magazine/2014/3/23.htm (in Russ.)
- Nolan B, Finlayson S, Tosteson A, Powell R, Cronenwett J. The treatment of disabling intermittent claudication in patients with superficial femoral artery occlusive disease–decision analysis. J. Vasc. Surg. 2007 Jun;45(6):1179-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2007.02.044
- Nguyen BN, Amdur RL, Abugideirim M, Rahbar R, Neville RF, Sidawy AN. Postoperative complications after common femoral endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg. 2015 Jun;61(6):1489-94. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2015.01.024
- Abramov IS, Maitesyan DA, Lazaryan TA, Baldin VL, Verigo AV, Eremenko AG, Papoyan SA. Otdalennye rezul’taty poluzakrytoi endaterektomii petlei iz poverkhnostnoi bedrennoi arterii i bedrenno-podkolennogo shuntirovaniia. Angiologiia i Sosud Khirurgiia. 2014;20(4):147-51. http://www.angiolsurgery.org/magazine/2014/4/18.htm (in Russ.)
- Norgen L, Hiatt WR, Dormandy JA, Nehler MR, Harris KA, Fowkes FGR. Inter-society consensus for the management of peripheral arterial disease (TASC II). J Vasc Surg. 2007 Jan;45(Suppl S):S5-67. doi: 10.1016/ j.jvs.2006.12.037
- Kim JH, So BJ, Byun SJ, Kim KY. The advantage of common femoral endarterectomy alone or combined with endovascular treatment. Vasc Specialist Int. 2018 Sep;34(3):65-71. doi: 10.5758/vsi.2018.34.3.65
- Husainy MA, Slim H, Rashid H, Huang DY. Recanalisation of chronically occluded remote superficial femoral artery endarterectomy through angioplasty for limb salvage. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017 Feb;40(2):302-305. doi: 10.1007/s00270-016-1499-7
- Kostova-Lefterova DD, Nikolov NN, Stanev SS, Stoyanova BB. Patient doses in endovascular and hybrid revascularization of the lover extremites. Br J Radiol. 2018 Nov;91(1091):20180176. doi: 10.1259/bjr.20180176
- Soden PA, Zettervall SL, Shean KE, Deery SE, Kalish JA, Healey CT, Kansal N, Schermerhorn ML. Effect of adjunct femoral endarterectomy in lower extremity bypass on perioperative and 1-year outcomes. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Mar;65(3):711-19. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.06.118
- Kuma S, Tanaka K, Ohmine T, Morisaki K, Kodama A, Guntani A, Ishida M, Okazaki J, Mii S. Clinical outcome of surgical endarterectomy for common femoral artery occlusive disease. Circ J. 2016;80(4):964-69 doi: 10.1253/circj.CJ-15-1177
- Gisbertz SS, Ramzan M, Tutein Nolthenius RP, van der Laan L, Overtoom TT, Moll FL, de Vries JP. Short-term results of a randomized trial comparing remote endarterectomy and supragenicular bypass surgery for long occlusions of the superficial femoral artery [the REVAS trial]. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009 Jan;37(1):68-76. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2008.09.014
- Perou S, Pirvu A, Morel J, Magne JL, Elie A, Spear R. Femoral bifurcation endarterectomy with transection-eversion of the superficial femoral artery: technique and results. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Nov;53:177-83. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2018.04.031
224027, The Republic of Belarus,
Brest, Meditsinskaya Str., 7,
Brest Regional Hospital,
Unit of Vascular Surgery.
Tel.: +375 162 27-23-64,
Vladimir N. Zasimovich
Zasimovich Vladimir N., Head of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Karpitski Aliaksandr S., MD, Professor, Chief Physician, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Nazaruk Aleksandr M., Angiosurgeon of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Malashchytski Yauheni A., Angiosurgeon of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Barysenka Maryia N., Angiosurgeon of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Zhymaila Aliaksei S., Angiosurgeon of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.
Arlavets Andrei I., Angiosurgeon of the Unit of Vascular Surgery, Brest Regional Hospital, Brest, Republic of Belarus.