This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 3
V.V. BOYKO 1, R.M. SMACHYLO 1, M.S. CHERNYAYEV 2, I.I. YAKOVTSOVA 3, S.V. DANYLIUK 3, O.M. TYSHCHENKO 1, A.L. VESELYI 1
MULTIFOCAL ANGIOMYOLIPOMA OF THE LIVER AND LUNG
V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery 1 of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine,
Kharkiv National Medical University 2,
Kharkiv Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education 3, Kharkiv,
The article presents a clinical case of surgical treatment of a patient with a rare oncological disease – multifocal angiomyolipoma of the liver and lungs. The patient had been hospitalized to the clinic, examined using spiral computed tomography of the abdominal organs and the chest. The following was revealed – bilateral multiple lung neoplasms, liver neoplasms: in Sg2 and Sg4 – 3 tumors up to 2 cm in diameter, in Sg1 – a large similar tumor 10x8cm adjacent to the inferior vena cava. Differential diagnostics with hepatocellular carcinoma was performed by using the determination of the blood tumor markers and trepan biopsy of the tumor of the caudate hepatic lobe, followed by histological examination. After confirming of probable benign nature of the tumor, the patient was operated on. Intraoperative findings were the following: in Sg2 and Sg4 of the liver – neoplasms up to 2 cm in diameter; in Sg1 of the liver – a neoplasm 9×8×10 cm, closely adjacent to the inferior vena cava, easily vulnerable with bleeding after contact. Resection of Sg1 of the liver with a tumor was performed by the left-sided method using afferent vascular exclusion of the liver, clamp crush technique, and electrosurgical welding. The postoperative period was stable, without complications, the patient was discharged from hospital on the 12th postoperative day. The immunohistochemical study of the removed tumor confirmed the diagnosis of liver angiomyolipoma.
- Fukuda Y, Omiya H, Takami K, Mori K, Kodama Y, Mano M, Nomura Y, Akiba J, Yano H, Nakashima O, Ogawara M, Mita E, Nakamori S, Sekimoto M. Malignant hepatic epithelioid angiomyolipoma with recurrence in the lung 7 years after hepatectomy: a case report and literature review. Surg Case Rep. 2016 Dec;2:31. Published online 2016 Apr 2. doi: 10.1186/s40792-016-0158-1
- Deng YF, Lin Q, Zhang SH, Ling YM, He JK, Chen XF. Malignant angiomyolipoma in the liver: a case report with pathological and molecular analysis. Pathol Res Pract. 2008;204(12):911-18. doi: 10.1016/j.prp.2008.06.007
- Nguyen TT, Gorman B, Shields D, Goodman Z. Malignant hepatic angiomyolipoma: report of a case and review of literature. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 May;32(5):793-98. doi: 10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181607349
- Wang WT, Li ZQ, Zhang GH, Guo Y, Teng MJ. Liver transplantation for recurrent posthepatectomy malignant hepatic angiomyolipoma: a case report. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Mar 28;21(12):3755-58. Published online 2015 Mar 28. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v21.i12.3755
- Saito M, Tsukamoto T, Takahashi T, Sai K, Fujii H, Nagashima K. Multifocal angiomyolipoma affecting the liver and lung without tuberous sclerosis. J Clin Pathol. 2004 Feb;57(2):221-24. doi: 10.1136/jcp.2003.10330
- Shi H, Cao D, Wei L, Sun L, Guo A. Inflammatory angiomyolipomas of the liver: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 5 cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2010 Aug;14(4):240-46. doi: 10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2010.03.002
- Makhlouf HR, Ishak KG, Shekar R, Sesterhenn IA, Young DY, Fanburg-Smith JC. Melanoma markers in angiomyolipoma of the liver and kidney: a comparative study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002 Jan;126(1):49-55. doi: 10.1043/0003-9985(2002)126<0049:MMIAOT>2.0.CO;2
- Zhou Y, Chen F, Jiang W, Meng Q, Wang F. Hepatic epithelioid angiomyolipoma with an unusual pathologic appearance: expanding the morphologic spectrum. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014 Aug 15;7(9):6364-69. eCollection 2014. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4203263/
- Talati H, Radhi J, Popovich S, Marcaccio M. Hepatic epithelioid angiomyolipoma: case series. Gastroenterology Res. 2010 Dec;3(6):293-95. Published online 2010 Nov 20. doi: 10.4021/gr273w
- Ishak KG. Mesenchymal tumors of the liver. In: Okuda K, Peters RL, editors. Hepatocellular carcinoma. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 1976. p. 247-307.
- Bonetti F, Pea M, Martignoni G, Zamboni G. PEC and sugar. Am J Surg Pathol. 1992 Mar;16(3):307-8. https://journals.lww.com/ajsp/citation/1992/03000/pec_and_sugar.13.aspx
- Martignoni G, Pea M, Reghellin D, Zamboni G, Bonetti F. PEComas: the past, the present and the future. Virchows Arch. 2008 Feb;452(2):119-32. doi: 10.1007/s00428-007-0509-1
- Folpe AL, Kwiatkowski DJ. Perivascular epithelioid cell neoplasms: pathology and pathogenesis. Hum Pathol. 2010 Jan;41(1):1-15. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2009.05.011
- Yang CY, Ho MC, Jeng YM, Hu RH, Wu YM, Lee PH. Management of hepatic angiomyolipoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 Apr;11(4):452-57. doi: 10.1007/s11605-006-0037-3
- Ding GH, Liu Y, Wu MC, Yang GS, Yang JM, Cong WM. Diagnosis and treatment of hepatic angiomyolipoma. J Surg Oncol. 2011 Jun;103(8):807-12. doi: 10.1002/jso.21814
Kharkiv, Balakirev Entry, 1,
V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery
Of the National Academy of Medical
Sciences of Ukraine,
Surgery Department of the Liver and Bile Ducts.
Tel. mobile: +38 0506 15-45-55,
Mykyta S. Chernyayev
Boyko Valeriy V., MD, Professor, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Director of V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Smachylo Rostyslav M., MD, Professor, Head of the Surgery Department of the Liver and Bile Ducts, V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Chernyayev Mykyta S, PhD, Assistant of the Surgery Department №1, Kharkiv National Medical University, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Yakovtsova Iryna I., MD, Professor, Head of the Pathologic Anatomy Department, Kharkiv Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Danyliuk Svitlana V., PhD, Associate Professor of the Pathologic Anatomy Department, Kharkiv Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Tishchenko Olexander M., MD, Professor of the Surgery Department of the Liver and Bile Ducts, V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Veselyi Andrii L., Radiologist of the Computed Tomography Cabinet, V.T. Zaytsev Institute of General and Urgent Surgery of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine.