This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 3
R.A. SADYKOV, B.A. ISMAILOV, O.V. KIM
NEW FILM COATING BASED ON CELLULOSE DERIVATIVES FOR LOCAL HEMOSTASIS
Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Surgery named after academician V. Vakhidov, Tashkent,
Objective. To study hemostatic activity and biocompatibility of new film coating based on cellulose derivatives on the model of the liver injury in experiment.
Methods. The film coating based on cellulose derivatives was used for investigations. Tensile strength, implant structure evaluation, adhesion force were evaluated using “Zwick” apparatus (Germany), Agilent Technologies atomic force microscope (USA). Hemostatic activity was evaluated by the Lee-White method.
Experimental studies were performed on the model of the liver injury in 32 adult mongrel outbred white rats. Operations were performed under inhalation anesthesia. Animals were removed from the experiment after 1, 3, 12 hours and on the 1st, 3rd, 7th, 14th and 30th day after the operation according to the accepted ethical standards. Macroscopic and microscopic studies were conducted.
Results. The adhesion strength of the film coating was 7.3±0.2 kPa (M±m), the breaking strength – 390.4±4.8 kHz/ cm2 (M±m). The coagulation time was 2.4±0.6 minutes (M±m) in the presence of polymer.
The use of the film coating allowed stopping bleeding rather quickly in the parenchyma bleeding from the liver injury (5.3±3.1 seconds). Sequential observations of the animals showed that 1 hour after the operation the implant was kept on the liver surface as a white coating was not separated from the wound surface. No signs of bleeding were noted. Histological studies of the liver biopsy specimens revealed a mild inflammatory disease with complete degradation of the coating on the 14th day after the operation.
Conclusions. The designed new film coating based on cellulose derivatives causes effective hemostasis, has good adhesiveness to the injured liver tissue and sufficient tensile strength. Biodegradation of the implant occurs within 2 weeks after application to the liver wound without a severe inflammatory reaction.
- Ogushi Y, Sakai S, Kawakami K. Synthesis of enzymatically-gellable carboxymethylcellulose for biomedical applications. J Biosci Bioeng. 2007 Jul;104(1):30-33. doi: 10.1263/jbb.104.30
- Heinze T, Koschella A. Carboxymethyl ethers of cellulose and starch-a review. Macromol Symp. 2005;223(1):13-40. doi: 10.1002/masy.200550502
- Parikh DV, Fink T, Rajasekharan K, Sachinvala N, Sawhney APS, Calamari TA, Parikh A. Antimicrobial silver/sodium carboxymethyl cotton dressings for burn wounds. Text Res J. 2005;75(2):134-38. doi: 10.1177/004051750507500208
- Porsch B, Wittgren B. Analysis of calcium salt of carboxymethyl cellulose: size distributions of parent carboxymethyl cellulose by size-exclusion chromatography with dual light-scattering and refractometric detection. Carbohydr Polym. 2005;59(1):27-35. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2004.08.019
- Hattori H, Amano Y, Nogami Y, Takase B, Ishihara M. Hemostasis for severe hemorrhage with photocrosslinkable chitosan hydrogel and calcium alginate. Ann Biomed Eng. 2010 Dec;38(12):3724-32. doi: 10.1007/s10439-010-0121-4
- Lipatov VA, Ershov MP, Sotnikov KA, Ushanov AA, Novikova NV, Konstantinova YuE. The modern trends of using local applicational blood reestablishing instruments of surgery of abdominal organs (literature review). Nauch Elektron Zhurn «Innova». 2016;(2):64-67. http://innova-journal.ru/issues/2016-2-3/files/07.pdf (in Russ.)
- Tanaka Y, Tane S, Hokka D, Ogawa H, Maniwa Y. The use of oxidized regenerated cellulose for video-assisted thoracic surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Feb;101(2):786-88. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.08.078
- Gotina EA. Izuchenie svoistv rastvorov i plenok na osnove kompozitsii polisakharidov: diplom. rabota. Minsk, RB; 2015. 30 p. http://elib.bsu.by/handle/123456789/117295 (in Russ.)
- Losenkova SO, Krikova AV. Lekarstvennye plenki: ucheb-metod posobie. Smolensk, RF; 2007. 36 p. (in Russ.)
- Gottrup F, Cullen BM, Karlsmark T, Bischoff-Mikkelsen M, Nisbet L, Gibson MC. Randomized controlled trial on collagen/oxidized regenerated cellulose/silver treatment. Wound Repair Regen. 2013 May-Jun;21(2):216-25. doi: 10.1111/wrr.12020
- Achneck HE, Sileshi B, Jamiolkowski RM, Albala DM, Shapiro ML, Lawson JH. A comprehensive review of topical hemostatic agents: efficacy and recommendations for use. Ann Surg. 2010 Feb;251(2):217-28. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181c3bcca
- Wagenhäuser MU, Mulorz J, Ibing W, Si F, Spin JM, Schelzing H. Oxidized (non) – regenerated cellulose affects fundamental cellular processes of wound healing. Sci Rep. 2016 Aug;6(1):1-8. doi: 10.1038/srep32238
- Kim SH, Kim SH, Yoon HS, Kim HK, Kim KS. Efficacy of Oxidized Regenerated Cellulose, SurgiGuard®, in Porcine Surgery. Yonsei Med J. 2017 Jan;58(1):195-205. doi: 10.3349/ymj.2017.58.1.195
- Genyk Y, Kato T, Pomposelli JJ, Wright JK Jr, Sher LS, Tetens V, Chapman WC. Fibrin Sealant Patch (TachoSil) vs Oxidized Regenerated Cellulose Patch (Surgicel Original) for the Secondary Treatment of Local Bleeding in Patients Undergoing Hepatic Resection: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Mar;222(3):261-68. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2015.12.007
- Tarkova AR, Cherniavskii AM, Morozov SV, Grigor’ev IA, Tkacheva NI, Rodionov VI. Gemostaticheskii material mestnogo deistviia na osnove okislennoi tselliulozy. Sib Nauch Med Zhurn. 2015;35(2):11-15. http://sibmed.net/article.php?lang=rus&id_article=329 (in Russ.)
- Jaiswal AK, Chhabra H, Narwane S, Rege N, Bellare JR. Hemostatic Efficacy of Nanofibrous Matrix in Rat Liver Injury Model. Surg Innov. 2017 Feb;24(1):23-28. doi: 10.1177/1553350616675799
- Haznedaroglu BZ, Haznedaroglu IC, Walker SL, Bilgili H, Goker H, Kosar A, Aktas A, Captug O, Kurt M, Ozdemir O, Kirazli S, Firat HC. Ultrastructural and morphological analyses of the in vitro and in vivo hemostatic effects of Ankaferd Blood Stopper. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2010 Aug;16(4):446-53. doi: 10.1177/1076029609343706
Tashkent, Kichik Khalqa Yoli, 10,
Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical
Medical Center of Surgery
Named after Academician V. Vakhidov,
Experimental Surgery Department.
Tel. +99 890 351-03-34,
Bakhodir A. Ismailov
Sadykov Rustam A., MD, Professor, Head of the Experimental Surgery Department, Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Surgery named after Academician V. Vakhidov, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Ismailov Bakhodir A., Junior Researcher of the Experimental Surgery Department, Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Surgery named after Academician V. Vakhidov, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Kim Olga V., Junior Researcher of the Experimental Surgery Department, Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Surgery named after Academician V. Vakhidov, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.