This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 3
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES IN SURGERY
I.V. MAKAROV, V.V. ZHIROV, A.V. KOLSANOV, R.A. GALKIN, A.Y. SIDOROV, D.O. KHOKHLOVA
USING PREOPERATING 3D-MODELING IN DIAGNOSTICS AND SURGICAL TREATMENT OF TERTIARY HYPERPARATHYROIDISM
Samara State Medical University, Samara,
The Russian Federation
Objective. To design a patient-specific preoperational 3D model of the neck anatomical formations based on MRI study to facilitate the search and removal of parathyroid adenoma in patients with tertiary hyperparathyroidism (THPT).
Methods. Preoperative 3D modeling was done for 7 patients with tertiary hyperparathyroidism. All patients were on the program renal dialysis because of the terminal stage of chronic renal insufficiency. For obtaining the personified 3D model the results MRI and special software were used. Data in DICOM format were loaded in software; at the same time, individual series of MRI studies were recorded and brought to a single coordinate system, they were segmented – the selection on the images of borders of anatomical structures, and three-dimensional polygonal models of the anatomical structures of the anterior surface of the neck and pathological sites – adenomas of the parathyroid glands were designed.
Results. With the use of preoperation 3D modeling the obtained models of the anatomical formations of neck allowed revealing and removing parathyroid adenomas rapidly, with the smallest time interval. The operation time on the average comprised 60±15 the minutes (M±σ). The operation effectiveness was proved by the results of laboratory investigations and clinical picture on the whole. In the postoperative period, during the following day after operation the median of ionized calcium decreased to 0.88 mmol/L (decrease by 0.32 mmol/L or on 26.7%, with r=0.00001), the median of parathyroid hormone – to 98.2 pg/ml (decrease on 2048.8 pg/ml – 95.4% with r=0.00001); the median of phosphorus – to 1.28 mmol/L (it was lowered on 0.33 mmol/L – 20.5%). The pains in the bones and the joints were clinically stopped in patients.
Conclusions. The suggested method is a reliable technique of the preoperative topical diagnosis of the pathological changes of the parathyroid glands. Its use leads to the decrease of operation time and reduces the need for traumatic and time-consuming neck exploration, necessary to find 4 and more adenomas), thus reducing the risk of post-surgery complications. The given method can be used for objective visualization of parathyroid adenomas during the operation and serve as the effectiveness criterion of surgical treatment adequacy.
- Ermolenko VM, Volgina GV, Dobronravov VA, Rozhinskaia LIa, Smirnov AV, Tomilina NA, Shostka GD, Anashkin VA, Andrusev AM, Volkov MM, Gerasimchuk RP, Zemchenkov AIu, Diubanova GA, Strokov AG, Shilo VIu. Natsional’nye rekomendatsii po mineral’nym i kostnym narusheniiam pri khronicheskoi bolezni pochek. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2011;13(1):33-51. http://journal.nephro.ru/index.php?r=journal/issueArchive (in Russ.)
- Kestenbaum B, Seliger SL, Gillen DL, Wasse H, Young B, Sherrard DJ, Weiss NS, Stehman-Breen CO. Parathyroidectomy rates among United States dialysis patients: 1990-1999. Kidney Int. 2004 Jan;65(1):282-88. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1755.2004.00368.x
- Bikbov BT, Tomilina NA. Renal replacement therapy for ESRD patients in Russian Federation (1998–2011). Report of Russian RRT Registry. Pt 1. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2014;16(1):11-27. http://nephro.ru/content/files/11-127.pdf (in Russ.)
- Dedov II, Mel’nichenko GA. Endokrinologiia: nats ruk. Kratkoe izd. Mosñow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2013. 752 p. https://panacea21.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/dedov_i_i_melnichenko_g_a_red_endokrinologiya-2.pdf (in Russ.)
- Makarov IV, Galkin RA, Lukashova AV, Koposov IS, Khohlova DO. Surgical treatment of hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney disease on program hemodialysis. Tavr Med-Biol Vestn. 2017;20(3):177-83. http://ma.cfuv.ru/docs/235726/T.20%20¹3%202017.pdf (in Russ.)
- Cheren’ko SM. Pervichnyi giperparatireoz: osnovy patogeneza, diagnostiki i khirurgicheskogo lecheniia. Kiev, Ukraina; 2011. 147 s. http://www.booksmed.com/hirurgiya/2046-pervichnyj-giperparatireoz-osnovy-patogeneza-diagnostiki-i-xirurgicheskogo-lecheniya-cherenko-sm.html (in Russ.)
- Magnabosco FF, Tavares MR, Montenegro FL. Surgical treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism: a systematic review of the literature. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2014 Jul;58(5):562-71. doi: 10.1590/0004-2730000003372 [Article in Portuguese]
- Balabolkin MI, Klebanova EM, Kreminskaia VM. Differentsial’naia diagnostika i lechenie endokrinnykh zabolevanii. Moscow, RF, 2002. 752 p. https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/4677387/ (in Russ.)
- Whitson BA, Broadie TA. Preoperative ultrasound and nuclear medicine studies improve the accuracy in localization of adenoma in hyperparathyroidism. Surg Today. 2008;38(3):222-26. doi: 10.1007/s00595-007-3612-7
- Civelek AC, Ozalp E, Donovan P, Udelsman R. Prospective evaluation of delayed technetium-99m sestamibi SPECT scintigraphy for preoperative localization of primary hyperparathyroidism. Surgery. 2002 Feb;131(2):149-57. doi: 10.1067/msy.2002.119817
- Johnson NA, Tublin ME, Ogilvie JB. Parathyroid imaging: technique and role in the preoperative evaluation of primary hyperparathyroidism. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007 Jun;188(6):1706-15. doi: 10.2214/AJR.06.0938
- Takagi H, Tominaga Y, Uchida K, Yamada N, Kawai M, Kano T, Morimoto T. Subtotal versus total parathyroidectomy with forearm autograft for secondary hyperparathyroidism in chronic renal failure. Ann Surg. 1984 Jul;200(1):18-23. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1250386/
- Bilezikian JP, Brandi ML, Udelsman R, Marcocci C, Eastell R, Silverberg SJ, Potts JT Jr. Guidelines for the management of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: summary statement from the Fourth International Workshop. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Oct:335-39. doi: 10.1210/jc.2008-1763
- Bilezikian JP, Brandi ML, Eastell R, Silverberg SJ, Udelsman R, Marcocci C, Potts JT Jr. Guidelines for the management of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: summary statement from the Fourth International Workshop. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Oct;99(10):3561-69. doi: 10.1210/jc.2014-1413
- Kasai ET, da Silva JW, Mandarim de Lacerda CA, Boasquevisque E. Parathyroid glands: combination of sestamibi-(99m)Tc scintigraphy and ultrasonography for demonstration of hyperplasic parathyroid glands. Rev Esp Med Nucl. 2008 Jan-Feb;27(1):8-12. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18208776
443099, The Russian Federation,
Samara, Chapayevskaya Str., 89,
Samara State Medical University,
Department of Surgical Diseases ¹1.
Tel. +7 903 334-22-59,
Igor V. Makarov
Makarov Igor V., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹1, Dean of the Pediatric Faculty, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.
Zhirov Vladimir V., PhD, Head of the Center for Educational Information Technologies, Programming Engineer of the Augmented Reality Technology Laboratory of the Virtual Technologies Department of the Center for Breakthrough Research “IT in Medicine”, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.
Kolsanov Alexander V., MD, Professor of RAMS, Head of the Department of Operative Surgery, Clinical Anatomy with the Course of Innovative Technologies, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.
Galkin Rudolf A., MD, Professor of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹1, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.
Sidorov Aleksandr Yu., PhD, Associate Professor of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹1, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.
Khokhlova Darya O., Clinical Intern of the Department of Surgical Diseases ¹1, Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russian Federation.