This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 5
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
R.E. KALININ, I.A. SUCHKOV, A.A. EGOROV, A.A. NIKIFOROV, N.D. MZHAVANADZE
MARKERS OF ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN PRIMARY HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS
Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan,
The Russian Federation
Objective. To evaluate the markers of the endothelial dysfunction in patients on hemodialysis with native arteriovenous fistula in different terms.
Methods. An open prospective study included 45 subjects with end-stage chronic kidney disease of the 5th stage with a native arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis. At baseline, 1, 6, and 12 months after the operation the levels of asymmetric dimethylarginine ADMA, advanced oxidation protein products AOPP, endothelin-1, adhesion molecules (VCAM, ICAM), C reactive protein (CRP), angiotensin-2, selectin (Sl), copper zinc superoxide dismutase (Cu/Zn-SOD) and OxyStat assay.
Results. Increased levels of ADMA and AOPP were registered in patients with the arteriovenous fistula thrombosis after 1, 6, and 12 months as compared to the subjects with normal fistula function (ð<0.01). Total peroxide concentration was increased after 6 and 12 months in patients with thrombosis (ð<0.01). Endothelin 1 level was increased after 6 and 12 months in patients with fistula thrombosis (ð<0.05). CRP level was elevated in patients with thrombosis after 1, 6, and 12 months (ð<0.01). In subjects with normal fistula function ICAM level decreased after 6 and 12 months (ð<0.01), VCAM level increased after 1 and decreased after 6 months as compared to baseline (ð<0.01). Selectin sL level increased after 1, 6, and 12 months in subjects with thrombosis. Cu/Zn-SOD concentration in patients with fistula thrombosis was lower at baseline and increased at 12 months (ð<0.01). Angiotensin 2 level in subjects with thrombosis was lower at baseline and increased after 6 and 12 months (ð<0.01).
Conclusions. Endothelial dysfunction is characteristic for dialysis patients. Increased levels the endothelial dysfunction markers are associated with thrombosis of native arteriovenous fistulas.
- National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI Clinical Practice Guideline for Hemodialysis Adequacy: 2015 update. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015 Nov;66(5):884-30. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2015.07.015
- Akoh JA, Hakim NS. Preserving function and long-term patency of dialysis access. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1999 Sep; 81(5):339-42. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503277/
- Kalinin RE, Suchkov IA, Egorov AA, Medvedeva OV. Examples of non-standard reconstructions in hemodialysis patients with permanent vascular access Novosti Khirurgii. 2017 Jan-Feb;Vol 25(1):87-92 doi: 10.18484/2305-0047.2017.1.87 (In Russ.)
- Oleskowska-Florek W, Połubinska A, Baum E, Matecka M, Pyda M, Pawlaczyk K, Bręborowicz A. Hemodialysis-induced changes in the blood composition affect function of the endothelium. Hemodial Int. 2014 Jul;18(3):650-6. doi: 10.1111/hdi.12148
- Leivaditis K, Panagoutsos S, Roumeliotis A, Liakopoulos V, Vargemezis V. Vascular access for hemodialysis: postoperative evaluation and function monitoring. Int Urol Nephrol. 2014 Feb;46(2):403-9. doi: 10.1007/s11255-013-0564-2
- Aldámiz-Echevarría L, Andrade F. Asymmetric dimethylarginine, endothelial dysfunction and renal disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2012;13(9):11288-311. doi: 10.3390/ijms130911288
- Martens CR, Edwards DG. Peripheral vascular dysfunction in chronic kidney disease. Cardiol Res Pract. 2011;2011:267257. 9 p. doi: 10.4061/2011/267257
- Cao W, Hou FF, Nie J. AOPPs and the progression of kidney disease. Kidney Int Suppl (2011). 2014 Nov;4(1):102-106. doi: 10.1038/kisup.2014.19
- Yang XB, Hou FF, Wu Q, Zhou H, Liu ZR, Yang Y, Zhang X. Increased levels of advanced oxidation protein products are associated with atherosclerosis in chronic kidney disease. Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi. 2005 May;44(5):342-46. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16009002 [Article in Chinese]
- Gonzalez E, Bajo MA, Carrero JJ, Lindholm B, Grande C, Sánchez-Villanueva R, Del Peso G, Díaz-Almirón M, Iglesias P, Díez JJ, Selgas R. An increase of plasma advanced oxidation protein products levels is associated with cardiovascular risk in incident peritoneal dialysis patients: a pilot study. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2015;2015:219569. doi: 10.1155/2015/219569
- Saenko YuV, Shutov AM. The impact of oxidative stress on cardiovascular pathology in patients with kidney diseases (Port II. Clinical aspects of oxidative stress). Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2004;6(2):138-44. http://journal.nephro.ru/index.php?r=journal/issueView&journalId=46 (In Russ.)
- Fedoseev AN, Kudriakova AS, Smirnov V V, Krutova TV, Elizova MG. Efferent therapy in treatment of endotheual dysfunction in patients with different stages of chronic renal disease. Perm Med Zhurn. 2012;29(4):98-104. https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17966064 (In Russ.)
- Kurapova MV, Niziamova AR, Romasheva EP, Davydkin IL. Endothelian dysfunction at patients with kidneys chronic disease. Izv Samar Nauch Tsentra RAN. 2013;15(3):1823-26. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/endotelialnaya-disfunktsiya-u-bolnyh-hronicheskoy-boleznyu-pochek (In Russ.)
- Mel’nikova YuS, Makarova TP. Endothelial dysfunction as the key link of chronic diseases pathogenesis. Kazan Med Zhurn. 2015;96(4):659-64. doi: 10.17750/KMJ2015-659
- Picker LJ, Warnock RA, Burns AR, Doerschuk CM, Berg EL, Butcher EC. The neutrophil selectin LECAM-1 presents carbohydrate ligands to the vascular selectins ELAM-1 and GMP-140. Cell. 1991 Sep 6;66(5):921-33. doi: 10.1016/0092-8674(91)90438-5 (In Russ.)
- Lutz J, Menke J, Sollinger D, Schinzel H, Thürmel K. Haemostasis in chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2014 Jan;29(1):29-40. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gft209
- Shamkhalova MSh, Kurumova KO, Klefortova II, Sitkin II, Il’in AV, Arbuzova MI, Goncharov NP, Katsiia GV, Aleksandrov AA, Kukharenko SS, Shestakova MV, Dedov II. Factor promoting development of renal tubulointerstitial lesion in patient with diabetes mellitus. Diabet Nefropatiia. 2010;(3):134-41 https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/faktory-razvitiya-tubolointerstitsialnogo-povrezhdeniya pochek (In Russ.)
- Morishita Y, Kusano E. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in dialysis patients. In: Vijayakumar S, ed. Novel insights on chronic kidney disease, acute kidney injury and polycystic kidney disease. Intech; 2012. p. 113-25.
390026, The Russian Federation,
Ryazan, Vysokovol’tnaya Str., 9,
Ryazan State Medical University,
Department of Cardiovascular,
Endovascular, Operative Surgery
and Topographic Anatomy.
Tel.: +7 9038362417,
Igor A. Suchkov
Kalinin Roman E., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Cardiovascular, Endovascular, Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
Suchkov Igor A., MD, Professor of the Department of Cardiovascular, Endovascular, Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
Egorov Andrey A., PhD, Applicant of the Department of Cardiovascular, Endovascular, Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
Nikiforov Aleksander A., PhD, Associate Professor, Head of the Central Research Laboratory, Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
Mzhavanadze Nina Dzh., PhD, Associate Professor of the Department of Cardiovascular, Endovascular, Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.