This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2021 Vol. 29 No 3
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
V.F. RYBALCHENKO 1, A.A. PEREYASLOV 2, I.G. RYBALCHENKO 3, O.M. NYKYFORUK 2
STRATEGY AND EXPERIENCE OF INFANTILE HEMANGIOMA TREATMENT
P.L.Shupyk National Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kiev, Ukraine,
Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine,
National Children Specialized Hospital «OXMATDYT», Kiev, Ukraine
Objective. To analyze the treatment results of patients with infantile hemangiomas using various methods.
Methods. The study is grounded on the treatment results of children (n=189) with infantile hemangiomas during the period of 2000-2018 years. All patients were divided into the groups: 1) dynamic observation – 23 (12.2%) children; 2) local destruction – 78 (41.3%); 3) surgical treatment – 22 (11.6%); 4) drug therapy – 66 (34.9%) patients. The interstitial coagulation (n=28) and electrocoagulation of hemangioma (n=50) were applied for the local destruction. 18 patients underwent the complete removal of hemangioma and 4 - segmental resection of tumor with the subsequent propranolol treatment. Propranolol was used for the drug treatment and it was combined with the topical application of timolol (n=13).
Results. Hemangioma regression was registered in 18 (78.3%) patients of the first group. Among the patients of the second group, involution of hemangioma was observed in 26 (92.6%) patients when the interstitial coagulation was applied and 2 (7.4%) children had hemangioma recurrence.
A strong positive effect can be reached by electrocoagulation of superficial hemangiomas (all patients). With primary radical intervention, complete cure was noted in all children, and with segmental resection only one (4.5%) child had a relapse. Keloid scars were formed in 3 (13.6%) children after surgery. Propranolol seemed to be effective in treating hemangiomas in children of all ages, and in 41 (62.1%) patients hemangiomas completely disappeared.
Conclusion. Before initiating therapy, the children need to be assessed for the contraindications and the treatment strategy. In case of infantile hemangioma should be individual based on the results of clinical investigation. Systemic propranolol treatment has gained rapid popularity as the treatment of choice for infantile hemangiomas and may be applied not only as the basic treatment, but also in combination with other methods. Surgical removal of hemangioma remains one of the common treatments components for children with infantile hemangiomas.
- Ding Y, Zhang JZ, Yu SR, Xiang F, Kang XJ. Risk factors for infantile hemangioma: a meta-analysis. World J Pediatr. 2019 Dec 18. doi: 10.1007/s12519-019-00327-2. Online ahead of print.
- Harter N, Mancini AJ. Diagnosis and Management of Infantile Hemangiomas in the Neonate. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2019 Apr;66(2):437-59. doi: 10.1016/j.pcl.2018.12.011
- Cazeau C, Blei F, Gonzáles Hermosa MDRF, Cavalli R, Boccara O, Fölster-Holst R, Berdeaux G, Delarue A, Voisard JJ. Burden of infantile hemangioma on family: an international observational cross-sectional study. Pediatr Dermatol. 2017 May;34(3):295-302. doi: 10.1111/pde.13133
- Vacirca SR, Nardi P, Ferlosio A, Orlandi A, Ruvolo G. Multifocal cardiac hemangioma. J Card Surg. 2018 Jun;33(6):310-12. doi: 10.1111/jocs.13719
- Léauté-Labrèze C, Baselga Torres E, Weibel L, Boon LM, El Hachem M, van der Vleuten C, Roessler J, Troilius Rubin A. The infantile hemangioma referral score: a validated tool for physicians. Pediatrics. 2020 Apr;145(4):e20191628. doi: 10.1542/peds.2019-1628
- Léauté-Labrèze C, Harper JI, Hoeger PH. Infantile haemangioma. Lancet. 2017 Jul 1;390(10089):85-94. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00645-0
- Léaute-Labrèze C, Boccara O, Degrugillier-Chopinet C, Mazereeuw-Hautier J, Prey S, Lebbé G, Gautier S, Ortis V, Lafon M, Montagne A, Delarue A, Voisard JJ. Safety of oral propranolol for the treatment of infantile hemangioma: a systematic review. Pediatrics. 2016 Oct;138(4):e20160353. doi: 10.1542/peds.2016-0353
- Tangtatco JA, Freedman C, Phillips J, Pope E. Surgical treatment outcomes of infantile hemangioma in children: Does prior medical treatment matter. Pediatr Dermatol. 2018 Nov;35(6):e418-e419. doi: 10.1111/pde.13658
- Chinnadurai S, Sathe NA, Surawicz T. Laser treatment of infantile hemangioma: A systematic review. Lasers Surg Med. 2016 Mar;48(3):221-33. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22455
- DeHart A, Richter G. Hemangioma: recent advances. F1000Res. F1000Res. 2019 Nov 18;8:F1000 Faculty Rev-1926. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.20152.1. eCollection 2019.
- Hoeger PH, Harper JI, Baselga E, Bonnet D, Boon LM, Ciofi Degli Atti M, El Hachem M, Oranje AP, Rubin AT, Weibel L, Léauté-Labrèze C. Treatment of infantile haemangiomas: recommendations of a European expert group. Eur J Pediatr. 2015 Jul;174(7):855-65. doi: 10.1007/s00431-015-2570-0
- Broeks IJ, Hermans DJ, Dassel AC, van der Vleuten CJ, van Beynum IM. Propranolol treatment in life-threatening airway hemangiomas: a case series and review of literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 Nov;77(11):1791-800. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2013.08.011
- Darrow DH, Greene AK, Mancini AJ, Nopper AJ. Diagnosis and management of infantile hemangioma. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct;136(4):e1060-e104. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-2485
- Robert J, Tavernier E, Boccara O, Mashiah J, Mazereeuw-Hautier J, Maruani A. Modalities of use of oral propranolol in proliferative infantile haemangiomas: an international survey among practitioners. Br J Dermatol. 2020 Mar 27. doi: 10.1111/bjd.19047. Online ahead of print.
- Streicher JL, Riley EB, Castelo-Soccio LA. Reevaluating the need for electrocardiograms prior to initiation of treatment with propranolol for infantile hemangiomas. JAMA Pediatr. 2016 Sep 1;170(9):906-7. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2016.0824
- Lund EB, Chamlin SL, Mancini AJ. Utility of routine electrocardiographic screening before initiation of propranolol for infantile hemangiomas. Pediatr Dermatol. 2018 Jul;35(4):e233-e34. doi: 10.1111/pde.13508
- Chan H, McKay C, Adams S, Wargon O. RCT of timolol maleate gel for superficial infantile hemangiomas in 5–24-week-olds. Pediatrics. 2013 Jun;131(6):e1739-47. doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-3828
04112, Ukraine, Kiev,
Dorogozhitskaya Str., 9,
P.L. Shupyk National Academy of Postgraduate Education of the MH of Ukraine,
the Pediatric Surgery Department,
tel. mobile +380 50 412-26-89,
Rybalchenko Vasyl F.
Rybalchenko Vasyl F., MD, Professor of the Pediatric Surgery Department, P.L.Shupyk National Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kiev, Ukraine.
Pereyaslov Andriy A., MD, Professor of the Pediatric Surgery Department,.Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine.
Rybalchenko Inna G., PhD, Pediatric Surgeon, Neonatal Surgery Department, National Children Specialized Hospital «OXMATDYT», Kiev, Ukraine.
Nykyforuk Olesya M., PhD, Assistant of the Pediatric Surgery Department, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine.