This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2020 Vol. 28 No 6
A.V. NOVOZHILOV 1, 2, M.O. MOVSISYAN 1, S.E. GRIGOREV 1, 2, E.G. GRIGORYEV 2, 3
GIANT CHOROIDAL MELANOMA METASTASIS TO THE LIVER IN YOUNG WOMAN
Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital 1,
Irkutsk State Medical University 2,
Irkutsk Scientific Centre of Surgery and Traumatology 3, Irkutsk
The Russian Federation
A rare case of a young woman with a single giant metastasis of spindle-cell choroidal melanoma to the liver is described. A 32 year-old woman underwent left ocular enucleation for choroidial melanoma 8 years ago. Ultrasound examination has been diagnosed the liver pathology when she was in the 8th month of pregnancy. Later, the pathology was confirmed during a caesarean section. After delivery, the patient was referred to the oncological dispensary, where metastatic melanoma was confirmed histologically based on a transcutaneous needle biopsy. Five courses of chemotherapy have been proved to be ineffective. The woman was hospitalized to the portal hypertension department of the regional hospital. A scrupulous oncological examination revealed a solitary nature of metastasis. Its volume reached 2338 cm3, unchanged parenchyma – 951 cm3. Angioarchitecture of the liver was thoroughly studied based on MSCT-angiography findings and invasive selective celiacography. The peripheral hepatic arterial branches were deformed and fragmented with pronounced recalibration which specified a malignant process. Arterial vessels of the left lobe were unchanged. The parietal branching was traced along the whole length. The right and median veins were involved in the pathological process; the left hepatic vein was intact. In view of ineffective adjuvant therapy and disease progression, the patient underwent right lateral hemihepatectomy. The early postoperative period was uneventful. One year and ten months later during the examination the patient reported about her good life quality. She is now being followed up by oncologist.
- Komarov IG, Komov DV. Metastazy zlokachestvennykh opukholei bez vyiavlenno gopervoistochnika. Moscow, RF; 2002. 136 p. (In Russ.)
- Review of possibilities of regional treatment of metastases of ocular melanoma in the liver. Martynkov DV, KosyrevIu. SovremProblemyNaukiiObrazovaniia.2019;(1):34. doi: 10.17513/spno.28525 (In Russ.)
- Akhmedov SM, Safarov BD, Taharov Z V., Navruzov OF. Liver resection for metastatic melanoma. Ros Med-BiolVestnimAkad IP Pavlova. 2016;24(3):103-107. doi: 10.17816/PAVLOVJ20163103-107 (In Russ.)
- TitovKS, IIkheeva OY, Kazakov AM, Egorova AV.The role of surgery in Ihe treatment of distant meiasiases of skin melanoma. ZlokachestvOpukholi. 2016;(3):27-33. doi: 10.18027/2224-5057-2016-3-27-33 (In Russ.)
- Mariani P, Piperno-Neumann S, Servois V, Berry MG, Dorval T, Plancher C, Couturier J, Levy-Gabriel C, Lumbroso-Le Rouic L, Desjardins L, Salmon RJ. Surgical management of liver metastases from uveal melanoma: 16 years’ experience at the Institut Curie. Eur J SurgOncol. 2009 Nov;35(11):1192-97. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2009.02.016
- Groeschl RT, Nachmany I, Steel JL, Reddy SK, Glazer ES, de Jong MC, Pawlik TM, Geller DA, Tsung A, Marsh JW, Clary BM, Curley SA, Gamblin TC. Hepatectomy for noncolorectal non-neuroendocrine metastatic cancer: a multi-institutional analysis. J Am Coll Surg. 2012 May;214(5):769-77. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.12.048
- Batus M, Waheed S, Ruby C, Petersen L, Bines SD, Kaufman HL. Optimal management of metastatic melanoma: current strategies and future directions. Am J ClinDermatol. 2013 Jun;14(3):179-94. doi: 10.1007/s40257-013-0025-9
- Zhang Y, Hu Z, Wu W, Liu J, Hong D, Zhang C. Partial hepatectomy for primary hepatic melanoma: a report of two cases and review of the literature. World J SurgOncol. 2014 Nov 28;12:362. doi: 10.1186/1477-7819-12-362
- Balch CM, Soong SJ, Gershenwald JE, Thompson JF, Reintgen DS, Cascinelli N, Urist M, McMasters KM, Ross MI, Kirkwood JM, Atkins MB, Thompson JA, Coit DG, Byrd D, Desmond R, Zhang Y, Liu PY, Lyman GH, Morabito A. Prognostic factors analysis of 17,600 melanoma patients: validation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer melanoma staging system. J ClinOncol. 2001 Aug 15;19(16):3622-34. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2001.19.16.3622
- Hameed AM, Ng EE, Johnston E, Hollands MJ, Richardson AJ, Pleass HC, Lam VW. Hepatic resection for metastatic melanoma: a systematic review. Melanoma Res. 2014 Feb;24(1):1-10. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000032
664003, Russian Federation,
Irkutsk, Krasnoe Vosstanie Str., 1,
Irkutsk State Medical University,
the Hospital Surgery Department,
mobile tel. +7 9025 111 027,
Grigoryev Eugene G.
Novozhilov Alexandr V., PhD, Associate Professor of the Hospital Surgery Department, Irkutsk State Medical University, Head of the Portal Hypertension Department, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Movsisyan Mikael O., Surgeon, the Portal Hypertension Department, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Grigorev Sergey E., PhD, Associate Professor of the Hospital Surgery Department, Irkutsk State Medical University, Surgeon, the Portal Hypertension Department, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Grigoryev Eugene G., MD, Professor, Corresponding Member of RAS, Supervisor, Irkutsk Scientific Centre of Surgery and Traumatology, Head of the Hospital Surgery Department, Irkutsk State Medical University, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.