This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2017 Vol. 25 No 2
TRAUMATOLOGY AND ORTHOPEDICS
A.I. RADCHENKO, A.G. ZHUKOVEC, Y.M. BOGDAEV
OSTEOSYNTHESIS IN SURGICAL TREATMENT OF METASTATIC LESIONS OF THE LONG TUBULAR BONES
SE "N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus for Oncology and Medical Radiology",
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. This study was designed to investigate the causes and risk factors of complications requiring revision surgeries after intramedullary and plate osteosynthesis of the long tubular bones affected by metastases.
Methods. Surgical treatment outcomes of patients with long tubular bones metastases (n=44) were analyzed retrospectively. Twelve patients had solitary skeletal metastasis, eleven – multiple, twenty one – bone metastases combined with visceral metastases. The pathological fracture was diagnosed in 35 patients and the threat of the pathological fracture – in 9. Intramedullary osteosynthesis was carried out in 34 cases, plate osteosynthesis – in 3 cases, intramedullary osteosynthesis with alloplasty – in 12 cases.
Results. Application of OS in the metastatic treatment of malignant tumors in long tubular bones have allowed saving the extremity function in 75% cases; the revision organ-saving surgery was carried out in 14,6% observations; restoration of the extremity function was failed in 10,4% cases. Thirteen complications caused by bone metastases required the revision surgery. Median time was 6 months (range of 1-12 months). The causes of complications included local tumor progression, the absence of osseous consolidation and violation of the structural integrity. Risk factors of complications development which require the revision surgeries were the following: pathologic fracture (p=0,046), progressive renal cell carcinoma (p=0,013) and radiation therapy before surgery (p=0,029). In patients with the best life prognosis the complications related with violation of the metal construction integrity or bone fixation failure have developed in longer and active load on the extremity.
Conclusion. Osteosynthesis appears to be an efficient method in the treatment of metastatic bone disease in the specific clinical cases. Radical surgical removal of the metastases with the elimination of the bone defect by allograft or endoprosthesis is more reasonable in case of solitary metastases of radio-resistant tumors and controlled tumor process.
- Weber KL, Randall RL, Grossman S, Parvizi J. Management of lower-extremity bone metastasis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Dec;88(Suppl 4):11-9.
- Coleman RE. Clinical features of metastatic bone disease and risk of skeletal morbidity. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Oct 15;12(20 Pt 2):6243s-49s.
- Schulman KL, Kohles J. Economic burden of metastatic bone disease in the U.S. Cancer. 2007 Jun 1;109(11):2334-42.
- Ruggieri P, Mavrogenis AF, Casadei R, Errani C, Angelini A, Calabrò T, et al. Protocol of surgical treatment of long bone pathological fractures. Injury. 2010 Nov;41(11):1161-67. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2010.09.018.
- Willeumier JJ, van der Linden YM, van de Sande MAJ, Dijkstra PDS. Treatment of pathological fractures of the long bones. EFORT Open Rev. 2016 May;1:136-45. doi: 10.1302/2058-5241.1.000008.
- Wedin R, Bauer HC. Surgical treatment of skeletal metastatic lesions of the proximal femur: endoprosthesis or reconstruction nail? J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Dec;87(12):1653-57.
- Sarahrudi K, Hora K, Heinz T, Millington S, Vécsei V. Treatment results of pathological fractures of the long bones: a retrospective analysis of 88 patients. Int Orthop. 2006 Dec; 30(6): 519-24. doi: 10.1007/s00264-006-0205-9.
- Hunt KJ, Gollogly S, Randall RL. Surgical fixation of pathologic fractures: an evaluation of evolving treatment methods. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2006;63(3-4):77-82.
- Miller BJ, Soni EE, Gibbs CP, Scarborough MT. Intramedullary nails for long bone metastases: why do they fail? Orthopedics. 2011 Apr 11;34(4):274. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20110228-12.
- Janjan NA. Radiation for bone metastases: conventional techniques and the role of systemic radiopharmaceuticals. Cancer. 1997 Oct 15;80(8 Suppl):1628-45.
- Althausen P, Althausen A, Jennings LC, Mankin HJ. Prognostic factors and surgical treatment of osseous metastases secondary to renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 1997 Sep 15;80(6):1103-9. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19970915)80:6<1103.
- Zołnierek J, Nurzyński P, Langiewicz P, Oborska S, Wasko-Grabowska A, Kuszatal E, et al. Efficacy of targeted therapy in patients with renal cell carcinoma with pre-existing or new bone metastases. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar;136(3):371-78. doi: 10.1007/s00432-009-0664-7.
- Frassica DA. General principles of external beam radiation therapy for skeletal metastases. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003 Oct;(415 Suppl):S158-64.
- Mirels H. Metastatic disease in long bones. A proposed scoring system for diagnosing impending pathologic fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989 Dec;(249):256-64.
- Brumback RJ, Toal TR Jr, Murphy-Zane MS, Novak VP, Belkoff SM. Immediate weight-bearing after treatment of a comminuted fracture of the femoral shaft with a statically locked intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999 Nov;81(11):1538-44.
- Qu Huayi, Guo Wei, Yang Rongli, Li Dasen, Tang Shun, Yang Yi, et al. Reconstruction of segmental bone defect of long bones after tumor resection by devitalized tumor-bearing bone. World J Surg Oncol. 2015;13:282. doi: 10.1186/s12957-015-0694-3.
- Ahlmann ER, Menendez LR. Intercalary endoprosthetic reconstruction for diaphyseal bone tumours. J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 2006 Nov;88-B(11):1487-91. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.88B11.
223040, Republic of Belarus, Minsk
region, Lesnoy settl.,
EE «N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre
of Belarus for Oncology and Medical Radiology».
Laboratory of oncological pathology
of the central nervous system with a group
of oncological pathology of the head and neck,
Artem I. Radchenko
Radchenko A.I. Researcher of laboratory of oncopathology of the central nervous system with the group of oncopathology of head and neck, SE "N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus for Oncology and Medical Radiology".
Zhukovec A.G. PhD, Head of laboratory of oncopathology of central nervous system with the group of oncopathology of head and neck, SE "N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus for Oncology and Medical Radiology" .
Bogdaev Y.M. PhD, Head of department of reconstructive-restorative surgery, SE "N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus for Oncology and Medical Radiology".