This journal is
indexed in Scopus
XXVIII Пленум Правления Белорусской ассоциации хирургов
«Актуальные вопросы и современные подходы в оказании
хирургической помощи в Республике Беларусь»
18-19 ноября 2021 года в г. Минск.
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 5
PRINCIPLES OF MULTICOMPONENT FAST-TRACK PROGRAM IN COLORECTAL SURGERY: APPROACHES AND POSITIVE EFFECTS
SEE “Belarusian Academy of Post-Graduate Education”
The Republic of Belarus
Analytical review of the scientific literature concerning the perioperative care of patients undergoing colonic resection with primary anastomosis application is presented in the article. Traditional perioperative care is associated with high postoperative complication rate and prolonged hospital stay. The approach introduction of an alternative, based on the principles of fast-track surgery when conducting the perioperative period has been expanded recently. The history of elaboration, basic elements and positive effects of fast-track surgery are described.
Advantages of the given approach permitting earlier terms of recovery, reduction of postoperative complications, length of hospital stay and treatment costs are highlighted. Basic tendencies of the program are absence of the mechanical bowel preparation and restriction of the prolonged preoperative starving before surgery, epidural anesthesia, intraoperative fluid management, avoidance of intra-abdominal drains, early enteral nutrition and active mobilization in the postoperative period.
1. Kokhniuk VT. Kolorektal'nyi rak [Colorectal cancer]. Minsk, RB; 2005. 384 p.
2. Rivkin VL, red, Fain SN, Bronshtein AS, An VK. Rukovodstvo po koloproktologii [Handbook of Coloproctology]. Moscow, RF: ID Medpraktika-M; 2004. 488 p.
3. Fedorov VD, Dul'tsev IuV. Proktologiia [Proctology]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1984. 384 p.
4. Gouvas N, Tan E, Windsor A, Xynos E, Tekkis PP. Fast-track vs standard care in colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis update. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2009 Oct;24(10):1119–31.
5. Schwenk W, Muller JM. What is "Fast-track"-surgery? Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2005 Mar 11;130(10):536–40. [Article in German]
6. Fearon K. Overview: key elements and the impact of enhanced recovery care. In: Francis N, Kennedi RH, Ljungqvist O, Mythen MG, ed. Manual of fast track recovery for colorectal surgery. London, UK: Springer-Verlag; 2012;(Ch. 1):1–14.
7. Bardram L, Funch-Jensen P, Jensen P, Crawford ME, Kehlet H. Recovery after laparoscopic colonic surgery with epidural analgesia, and early oral nutrition and mobilization. Lancet. 1995 Mar 25;345(8952):763–64.
8. Wilmore DW, Kehlet H. Management of patients in fast track surgery. BMJ. 2001 Feb 24;322(7284):473–76.
9. Salmon P, Evans R, Humphrey DE. Anxiety and endocrine changes in surgical patients. Br J Clin Psychol. 1986 May;25(Pt 2):135–41.
10. Jung B, Lannerstad O, Pahlman L, Arodell M, Unosson M, Nilsson E. Preoperative mechanical preparation of the colon: the patient's experience. BMC Surg. 2007 May 4;7:5.
11. Slim K, Vicaut E, Launay-Savary MV, Contant C, Chipponi J. Updated systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials on the role of mechanical bowel preparation before colorectal surgery. Ann Surg. 2009 Feb;249(2):203–9.
12. Bucher P, Gervaz P, Egger JF, Soravia C, Morel P. Morphologic alterations associated with mechanical bowel preparation before elective colorectal surgery: a randomized trial. Dis Colon Rectum. 2006 Jan;49(1):109–12.
13. Businger A, Grunder G, Guenin MO, Ackermann C, Peterli R, von Flue M. Mechanical bowel preparation and antimicrobial prophylaxis in elective colorectal surgery in Switzerland--a survey. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2011 Jan;396(1):107–13.
14. Lassen K, Soop M, Nygren J, Cox PB, Hendry PO, Spies C, von Meyenfeldt MF, Fearon KC, Revhaug A, Norderval S, Ljungqvist O, Lobo DN, Dejong CH; Consensus review of optimal perioperative care in colorectal surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Group recommendations. Arch Surg. 2009 Oct;144(10):961–69.
15. Abraham N, Albayati S. Enhanced recovery after surgery programs hasten recovery after colorectal resections. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 Jan 27;3(1):1–6.
16. McLeod R, Fitzgerald W, Sarr M. Preoperative fasting for adults to prevent perioperative complications. Can J Surg. 2005 Oct;48(5):409–11.
17. Basse L, Hjort Jakobsen D, Billesbolle P, Werner M, Kehlet H. A clinical pathway to accelerate recovery after colonic resection. Ann Surg. 2000 Jul;232(1):51–7.
18. Rodgers A, Walker N, Schug S, McKee A, Kehlet H, van Zundert A, Sage D, Futter M, Saville G, Clark T, MacMahon S. Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomized trials. BMJ. 2000 Dec 16;321(7275):1493.
19. Moraca RJ, Sheldon DG, Thirlby RC. The role of epidural anesthesia and analgesia in surgical practice. Ann Surg. 2003 Nov;238(5):663–73.
20. McQuay H, Moore A, Justins D. Treating acute pain in hospital. BMJ. 1997 May 24;314(7093):1531–35.
21. Kehlet H. Multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation. Br J Anaesth. 1997 May;78(5):606–17.
22. Brandstrup B, Tonnesen H, Beier-Holgersen R, Hjortso E, Ording H, Lindorff-Larsen K, Rasmussen MS, Lanng C, Wallin L, Iversen LH, Gramkow CS, Okholm M, Blemmer T, Svendsen PE, Rottensten HH, Thage B, Riis J, Jeppesen IS, Teilum D, Christensen AM, Graungaard B, Pott F. Effects of intravenous fluid restriction on postoperative complications: comparison of two perioperative fluid regimens: a randomized assessor-blinded multicenter trial. Ann Surg. 2003 Nov;238(5):641–48.
23. Mintz Y, Weiss YG, Rivkind AI. Effects of intravenous fluid restriction on postoperative complications: comparison of two perioperative fluid regimens: a randomized assessor-blinded multicenter trial. Ann Surg. 2004 Aug;240(2):386; author reply 386–88.
24. Hilton AK, Pellegrino VA, Scheinkestel CD. Avoiding common problems associated with intravenous fluid therapy. Med J Aust. 2008 Nov 3;189(9):509–13.
25. Watcha MF, White PF. Postoperative nausea and vomiting. Its etiology, treatment, and prevention. Anesthesiology. 1992 Jul;77(1):162–84.
26. Kurz A, Sessler DI, Lenhardt R. Perioperative normothermia to reduce the incidence of surgical-wound infection and shorten hospitalization. Study of Wound Infection and Temperature Group. N Engl J Med. 1996 May 9;334(19):1209–15.
27. Esnaola NF, Cole DJ. Perioperative normothermia during major surgery: is it important? Adv Surg. 2011;45:249–63.
28. Nelson R, Tse B, Edwards S. Systematic review of prophylactic nasogastric decompression after abdominal operations. Br J Surg. 2005 Jun;92(6):673–80.
29. Chopra SS, Schmidt SC, Fotopoulou C, Sehouli J, Schumacher G. Evidence-based perioperative management: strategic shifts in times of fast track surgery. Anticancer Res. 2009 Jul;29(7):2799–802.
30. Ramirez JM, Blasco JA, Roig JV, Maeso-Martinez S, Casal JE, Esteban F, Lic DC. Enhanced recovery in colorectal surgery: a multicentre study. BMC Surg. 2011 Apr 14;11:9.
31. Zargar-Shoshtari K, Connolly AB, Israel LH, Hill AG. Fast-track surgery may reduce complications following major colonic surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008 Nov;51(11):1633–40.
32. Barlow R, Price P, Reid TD, Hunt S, Clark GW, Havard TJ, Puntis MC, Lewis WG. Prospective multicentre randomised controlled trial of early enteral nutrition for patients undergoing major upper gastrointestinal surgical resection. Clin Nutr. 2011 Oct;30(5):560–66.
33. Andersen HK, Lewis SJ, Thomas S. Early enteral nutrition within 24h of colorectal surgery versus later commencement of feeding for postoperative complications. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Oct 18;(4):CD004080.
34. Kehlet H, Wilmore DW. Evidence-based surgical care and the evolution of fast-track surgery. Ann Surg. 2008 Aug;248(2):189–98.
35. Zingg U, Miskovic D, Pasternak I, Meyer P, Hamel CT, Metzger U. Effect of bisacodyl on postoperative bowel motility in elective colorectal surgery: a prospective, randomized trial. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2008 Dec;23(12):1175–83.
36. Wiriyakosol S, Kongdan Y, Euanorasetr C, Wacharachaisurapol N, Lertsithichai P. Randomized controlled trial of bisacodyl suppository versus placebo for postoperative ileus after elective colectomy for colon cancer. Asian J Surg. 2007 Jul;30(3):167–72.
37. Hjort Jakobsen D, Sonne E, Basse L, Bisgaard T, Kehlet H. Convalescence after colonic resection with fast-track versus conventional care. Scand J Surg. 2004;93(1):24–8.
38. Ionescu D, Iancu C, Ion D, Al-Hajjar N, Margarit S, Mocan L, Mocan T, Deac D, Bodea R, Vasian H. Implementing fast-track protocol for colorectal surgery: a prospective randomized clinical trial. World J Surg. 2009 Nov;33(11):2433–38.
39. Wang G, Jiang ZW, Xu J, Gong JF, Bao Y, Xie LF, Li JS. Fast-track rehabilitation program vs conventional care after colorectal resection: a randomized clinical trial. World J Gastroenterol. 2011 Feb 7;17(5):671–76.
40. Baldini G, Carli F. Anesthetic and adjunctive drugs for fast-track surgery. Curr Drug Targets. 2009 Aug;10(8):667–86.
220013, Respublika Belarus, G. Minsk, ul. P.Brovki, d. 3, korp. 3, GUO «Belorusskaya meditsinskaya akademiya poslediplomnogo obrazovaniya», kafedra hirurgii,
Semyonova Yuliya Aleksandrovna
Siamionova J.A. Post-Graduate Student of the Surgery Chair of SEE “Belarusian Academy of Post-Graduate Education”.