This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2016 Vol. 24 No 1
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
V.I. NIKOLSKY, E.V. TITOVA, A.A. SAMORODOVA, J.E. FEOKTISTOV
THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN PATIENTS AFTER PROSTHETIC HERNIOPLASTY
Medical Institute of FSEE HPE ''Penza State University '',
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To compare the life quality of patients who have undergone prosthetic hernioplasty using of polypropylene mesh and modified xenopericardial patch.
Methods. Patients were divided into two groups depending on the chosen method of hernioplasty. In the main group xenopericardium plasty was performed by the developed technique. In the second group a polypropylene mesh was used as prosthesis. The life quality of patients was studied using the modified questionnaire EQ-5D-5L one and six years after the surgery.
Results. It was found out that one year after surgery the patients (n=37,5%) of the main group did not report about the pain in the area of operation. Among patients operated on using polypropylene mesh, this figure was only 19,0%. At the same time, 21,5% of patients with implanted polypropylene mesh noted intense pain in the area of operation. Two patients (3,0%) described their condition as "a sensation of extremely intense pain, a feeling of foreign body at the operation site."
46,9% patients operated on with the use of xenopericardium did not observed any discomfort and foreign body sensation at the operation site 6 years after the surgery. In the group of patients operated on with the use of polypropylene mesh the figure is only 26,0%. The visual analog rating scale of health-related quality of life showed that a year after xenopericardium implantation the quality of life was 9,5% higher than in patients operated on with use of polypropylene mesh, and six years after the operation this difference increased up to 11,4 %.
Conclusion. The study has confirmed that the application of the developed method of prosthetic plasty of median ventral hernias with use of xenopericardial plate significantly reduces the incidence of patients with a feeling of a foreign body and sensation of pain at the operation site, thereby improving their physical and mental health.
- Adamian AA. Put' alloplastiki v gerniologii i sovremennye ee vozmozhnosti [The way of alloplasty in herniology and current its capabilities]. Materialy I Mezhdunar konf "Sovremennye metody gernioplastiki s primeneniem polimernykh implantatov." Moscow, RF; 2003. p. 15–16.
- Egiev VN. Sovremennoe sostoianie i perspektivy gerniologii [Current state and prospects herniology]. Gerniologiia. 2006;(2):5–10.
- Belokonev VI, Ponomareva IuV, Pushkin SIu, Melent'eva ON, Guliaev MG. Vozmozhnye prediktory i morfologicheskie aspekty razvitiia seromy posle plastiki gryzhi perednei briushnoi stenki [Available predictors and morphological aspects of seroma after plasty of anterior abdominal wall hernias]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2014;22(6):665–70. doi: 10.18484/2305-0047.2014.6.665.
- Eriksson A, Rosenberg J, Bisgaard T. Surgical treatment for giant incisional hernia: a qualitative systematic review. Hernia. 2014 Feb;18(1):31-8. doi: 10.1007/s10029-013-1066-y.
- Nikol'skii VI, Kalmin OV, Titova EV, Venediktov AA, Fedorova MG. Kliniko-morfologicheskoe obosnovanie ksenoplastiki ventral'nykh gryzh [Clinico-morphological substantiation of xenon plasty of ventral hernias]. Izv Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii Povolzh region Med nauki. 2012;(1):11–17.
- Burger JW, Halm JA, Wijsmuller AR, ten Raa S, Jeekel J. Evaluation of new prosthetic meshes for ventral hernia repair. Surg Endosc. 2006 Aug;20(8):1320-25.
- Cobb WS, Burns JM, Peindl RD, Carbonell AM, Matthews BD, Kercher KW, et al. Textile analysis of heavy weight, mid-weight, and light weight polypropylene mesh in a porcine ventral hernia model. J Surg Res. 2006 Nov;136(1):1-7.
- Bachman SL, Ramaswamy A, Ramshaw BJ. Early results of midline hernia repair using a minimally invasive component separation technique. Am Surg. 2009 Jul;75(7):572-7; discussion 577-78.
- Novik AA, Ionova TI. Shevchenko IuL, red. Rukovodstvo po issledovaniiu kachestva zhizni v meditsine [Guidance on Quality of Life Research in medicine]. 2 izd. S-Peterburg: Neva; Moscow: OLMA-PRESS Zvezdnyi mir; 2002. 320 p.
- Pecherov AA. Egiev VN, Kuchin IuV, Lechiev IU. Ball'naia otsenka v vybore sposoba plastiki briushnoi stenki u bol'nykh s posleoperatsionnymi ventral'nymi gryzhami [Numerical score in the choice of method of plasty of abdominal wall in patients with postoperative ventral hernias]. Khirurgiia im NI Pirogova. 2009;(3):23–25.
- Kulikov LK, Buslaev OA, Mikhalevich IM, Shalashov SV, Privalov IuA, Sobotovich VF, i dr. Kachestvo zhizni u patsientov, operirovannykh po povodu posleoperatsionnykh ventral'nykh gryzh [Quality of life in patients operated on for postoperative ventral hernias]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2014;22(3):286–295. doi: 10.18484/2305-0047.2014.3.286.
- Timerbulatov MV, Timerbulatov ShV, Gataullina EZ, Valitova ER. Posleoperatsionnye ventral'nye gryzhi: sovremennoe sostoianie problemy [Postoperative ventral hernia: current state of the issue]. Med Vestn Bashkortostana. 2013;(5):101-107.
- Sedov VM, Gostevskoi AA, Tarbaev SD. Posleoperatsionnye ventral'nye gryzhi [Postoperative ventral hernia]. Moscow, RF; 2008. 129 p.
- Nikol'skii VI, Titova EV, Baulin AV. Sposob proteziruiushchei gernioplastiki sredinnykh ventral'nykh gryzh [Method of prosthetic hernioplasty of median ventral hernias]. Patent RF ¹2400160 A61B17/00. 27.09.2010.
- Burtsev PIu, Burtseva EV. Sposob podgotovki biotkani dlia ksenoprotezirovaniia [A method for the preparation of biological tissue for xenoprosthesis]. Patent RF ¹ 2197818 A01N1/00. 10.02.2003.
440026, Russian Federation,
Penza, ul. Lermontova, d. 3,
FGBOU VPO ''Penzenskiy gosudarstvennyiy universitet '',
tel.: 7 987 514-09-03,
Titova Ekaterina Valerevna
Nikolsky V.I. MD, professor of the surgery chair of Medical Institute of FSBEE HPE "Penza State University".
Titova E.V. PhD, an assistant of the surgery chair of Medical Institute of FSBEE HPE ''Penza State University ''.
Samorodova A.A. A day-time postgraduate student of the surgery chair of Medical Institute of FSBEE HPE ''Penza State University ''.
Feokttistov J.E. A clinical intern of the surgery chair of Medical Institute of FSBEE HPE ''Penza State University ''.