This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 6
TUMORS OF THE VERMIFORM APPENDIX
SE “Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Alexandrov”,
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To study the long-term treatment results of patients with malignant tumors of the vermiform appendix.
Methods. The treatment results of malignant tumors of the vermiform appendix have been analyzed in 74 patients being supervised during the period from 1993 to June, 2012.
Results. 23 of 31 patients with carcinoid of the vermiform appendix were subjected to appendectomy at the specialized oncological departments. All the patients were suggested to undergo the right-sided hemicolectomy. The operation was performed in 21 patients. 7 patients were examined at the oncology hospitals and after making a diagnosis the right-sided hemicolectomy was carried out.
The vermiform appendix cancer was diagnosed in 43 patients. 15 surgeries for cancer of the appendix were carried out in specialized oncological facilities. The right-sided hemicolectomy was done in 13 patients, in 4 cases the operation had a palliative character due to the tumor dissemination. Palliative appendectomy of the tumor was carried out in 1 patient and in another one the operation was completed by the exploratory laparotomy. 28 patients underwent appendectomy at the surgical departments. Dissemination of the abdominal cavity was revealed during appendectomy in 3 of them, in another three patients the right-sided hemicolectomy was performed during laparotomy. Radical right-sided hemicolectomy was carried out in 22 patients, metastasis to the regional lymph nodes was detected in one of them. No local-regional recurrence was revealed in any case in patients with carcinoid of the vermiform appendix after the right-sided hemicolectomy during further observation. 5-year survival rate made up 86,6±7,2%. Dissemination of the abdominal cavity was found out in 1 patient with the vermiform appendix adenocarcinoma during the first year after the right-sided hemicolectomy; all the rest patients are alive without any signs of the tumor process progressing after the right-sided hemicolectomy. Patients with dissemination of the tumor process of the abdominal cavity died in terms up to 6 months. 5-year survival rate made up 81,8±6,3%.
Conclusions. The right-sided hemicolectomy is indicated to the patients with malignant tumors of the vermiform appendix.
- Zagorski K, Prokopowicz D, Panasiuk A. Appendicitis and its atypical causes. Wiad Lek. 1992 Jul;45(13-14):486–89.
- Machado NO, Chopra P, Pande G. Appendiceal tumour--retrospective clinicopathological analysis. Trop Gastroenterol. 2004 Jan-Mar; 25(1):36–9.
- Kaliteevskii PF. Bolezni cherveobraznogo otrostka [Diseases of the appendix]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina, 1970. 202 p.
- Khirurgicheskie bolezni [Surgery diseases], red MI Kuzin. Moscow, RF: Meditsina. 2002. 784 p.
- Reenalda PE, Bruggink ED. Tumors of the appendix. Neth J Surg. 1984 Apr; 36(2):54–6.
- Burgess P, Done HJ. Primary adenocarcinoma of the appendix. J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1990 Aug; 35(4):270.
- Druart ML, Crener K, Absil B, Rahier I, Engelholm L, Limbosch JM. Mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. A rare tumour of the right iliac. Acta Chir Belg. 1999 Dec; 99(6):303–5.
- Timmermans L, Dewulf E, Vielle G. Appendicular mucocele. Report of 2 cases. Acta Chir Belg. 1991 Mar-Apr;91(2):59–62.
- Mishin IV, Danch AV. Mukotsele cherveobraznogo otrostka [Mucocele of the appendix]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2012;20(3):125–29.
- Jagdish S, Ninan S, Pai D, Ratnakar C. Spontaneous appendicocutaneous fistula. Indian J Gastroenterol. 1996 Jan;15(1):31.
223040, Respublika Belarus', Minskii raion, agrogorodok Lesnoi, GU «Respublikanskii nauchno- prakticheskii tsentr onkologii i meditsinskoi radiologii im. N.N. Aleksandrova»,
Kokhnyuk Viktor Tikhonovich
Kokhnyuk V.T. MD, deputy director (Surgery) of SE “Republican scientific and practical center of oncology and medical radiology named after N.N. Alexandrov”.