This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 4
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES IN SURGERY
L.K. KULIKOV1, N.M. BYKOVA2, U.A. PRIVALOV1, V.F. SOBOTOVICH1, A.A. SMIRNOV1
DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSTICS OF SYMPTOMATIC ARTERIAL HYPERTENSION AT ADRENAL TUMORS
SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education” 1,
MAME “City Clinical Hospital ¹10”, Irkutsk2,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study efficiency of differential diagnostics of the secondary arterial hypertension in patients with the revealed adrenal tumors by means of the mathematical device of artificial neural networks (ANN).
Methods. 174 patients’ cards (56 males and 118 females, the age of 16-74 yrs.) with adrenal incidentalomas combined with arterial hypertension have been investigated. 57 patients out of 174 were operated on. In 26 patients (45,6%) the primary aldosteronism was diagnosed, in 14 (24,6%) – corticosteromas, in 13 (22,8%) – catecholamine-secreting tumors, and only in 4 (7%) – hormonally inactive tumors. Out of 117 patients who were subjected to the dynamic observation within a period of 1 to 15 years, 14 – were operated on after an additional examinations of clinical, laboratory signs of hormonal activity as well as the worked out method of the differential diagnostics of the symptomatic arterial hypertension.
Results. To diagnose the symptomatic arterial hypertension in patients with accidentally revealed adrenal tumors (incidentalomas) 35 signs have been singled out and divided into 2 groups. The first group included the signs characterized by the quantitative parameters. The second group included the information about a patient expressed in medical terms and concepts coded in figures. The established diagnoses in patients with symptomatic arterial hypertension of adrenal genesis were coded as the figures too. For forecasting the artificial neural networks (ANN) was created for each patient with the symptomatic arterial hypertension. For current forecasting the card of a definite patient was filled in with the coded information. The result of the forecast was seen on the monitor as a figure which was compared with the presumable results. The difference of obtained results less than 0,5 indicated that diagnosis of the symptomatic arterial hypertension in patients with incidentalomas is considered to be probable.
Conclusions. The accuracy of the worked out method is 92,9%, sensitivity – 79,1%, specificity – 96,2%. The received result of the decision of an “artificial intellect” can be considered to be as additional criteria to determine the treatment tactics of this category of patients.
- Chazova IE. Novye vozmozhnosti v lechenii serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevanii: rezul'taty issledovaniia ONTARGET [New possibilities in the treatment of cardiovascular disease: results of the ONTARGET]. Sistem Gipertenzii. 2008(3):9–13.
- Taler SJ. Secondary causes of hypertension. Prim Care. 2008 Sep;35(3):489–500.
- Chiong JR, Aronow WS, Khan IA, Nair CK, Vijayaraghavan K, Dart RA, Behrenbeck TR, Geraci SA. Secondary hypertension: current diagnosis and treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2008 Feb 20;124(1):6–21.
- Vetshev PS, Shkrob OS, Ippolitov LI, Polunin GV. Diagnostika i khirurgicheskoe lechenie arterial'nykh gipertenzii nadpochechnikovogo geneza [Diagnosis and surgical treatment of arterial hypertension of adrenal genesis]. Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2001(1):33–40.
- Kulikov LK, Bykova NM, Privalov IuA, Varlamova SV, Litvin MM, Sobotovich VF. Neironnaia set', kak sposob dlia vyiavleniia skrytoi gormonal'noi aktivnosti u bol'nykh s intsidentalomami nadpochechnikov [The neural network as a method to identify the hidden hormonal activity in patients with adrenal incidentalomas]. Sib Med Zhurn. 2010;93(2): 64–67.
- Kuznetsov NS, Bel'tsevich DG, Vanushko VE, Soldatova TV, Remizov OV, Kats LE, Lysenko MA. Differentsial'naia diagnostika intsidentalom nadpochechnikov [Differential diagnosis of adrenal intsidentalom]. Endocrin Khirurgiia. 2011(1):5–16.
- Kim HY, Kim SG, Lee KW, Seo JA, Kim NH, Choi KM, Baik SH, Choi DS. Clinical study of adrenal incidentaloma in Korea. Korean J Intern Med. 2005 Dec;20(4):303–9.
- Bel'tsevich DG, Kuznetsov NS, Soldatova TV, Vanushko VE. Intsidentaloma nadpochechnikov [Adrenal incidentalomas]. Endocrin Khirurgiia. 2009(1):19–24.
- Bulow B, Jansson S, Juhlin C, Steen L, Thoren M, Wahrenberg H, Valdemarsson S, Wangberg B, Ahren B. Adrenal incidentaloma - follow-up results from a Swedish prospective study. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006 Mar;154(3):419–23.
- Arnaldi G, Masini AM, Giacchetti G, Taccaliti A, Faloia E, Mantero F. Adrenal incidentaloma Braz J Med Biol Res. 2000 Oct;33(10)1177–89.
- Reincke M. Subclinical Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2000 Mar;29(1):43–56.
- Yu R, Nissen NN, Chopra P, Dhall D, Phillips E, Wei M. Diagnosis and treatment of pheochromocytoma in an academic hospital from 1997 to 2007. Am J Med. 2009 Jan;122(1):85–95.
- Ustiugova AV. Kalashnikova MF, Bel'tsevich DG. Skriningovoe obsledovanie patsientov s intsidentalomoi nadpochechnika [Screening of patients with adrenal incidentaloma]. 2008;54(4):45–48.
- Barzon L, Fallo F, Sonino N, Boscaro M. Development of overt Cushing's syndrome in patients with adrenal incidentaloma. Eur J Endocrinol. 2002 Jan;146(1):61–66.
- Bykova NM, Kulikov LK, Privalov IuA. Sposob diagnostiki simtomaticheskoi arterial'noi gipertenzii u bol'nykh s intsidentalomami nadpochechnikov [A method for diagnosing of symptomatic arterial hypertension in patients with adrenal incidentaloma]. Patent RF MPK A61B10/00, A61B5/0; ¹2457788; zaiavl. 01.02.11; opubl. 10.08.2012. Biul;(22).
- Neironnye seti. Statistica Neural Networks. Metodologiia i tekhnologii sovremennogo analiza dannykh [The methodology and technology of modern data analysis]. Moscow, RF: Goriachaia liniia-Telekom; 2008. 392 p.
664079, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia, g. Irkutsk, m-n. Iubileinyi, d.100, GBOU DPO «Irkutskaia gosudarstvennaia meditsinskaia akademiia poslediplomnogo obrazovaniia», kafedra khirurgii,
Kulikov Leonid Konstantinovich
Kulikov L.K. MD, professor, a head of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education”.
Bykova N.M. PhD, a head of the endocrinology department of MAME “City Clinical Hospital ¹ 10”, Irkutsk.
Privalov U.A. PhD, an associate professor of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education”.
Sobotovich V.F. PhD, an associate professor of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education”.
Smirnov A.A. PhD, an assistant of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education”.