This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2014 Vol. 22 No 1
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
V.I. BELOKONEV, S.Y. PUSHKIN, À.S. BENYAN, I.R. KAMåEV, M.P. AYRAPETOVA
THE PECULIARITIES OF DIAGNOSTICS AND TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH ESOPHAGEAL TRAUMA CAUSED BY METALLIC DEVICES FOR CERVICAL SPINE FIXATION
SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”1,
SBME SO “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin” 2,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To determine the peculiarities of the esophageal trauma caused by metallic devices for cervical spine fixation and work out intraoperative treatment tactics.
Methods. The treatment analysis of 14 patients with the esophageal trauma caused by the cervical spine fixation caused by metallic devices has been carried out. The complications have been confirmed by the esophageal roentgenography and computed tomography (CT). All patients have been operated on. The operation characteristics depended on the alterations in the esophageal wall, perforation size, kind of injury and mediastinitis prevalence.
Results. Three mechanisms of the esophageal trauma are distinguished: 1) when metallic devices placement; 2) as the result of the device pressure on the esophageal wall or migration of the fixed screws into the organ lumen; 3) when devices removal. The first kind of the injury was registered in 5 patients, the second in 5, and the third – in 4. The partial suturing of the esophagus was done in 6 patients, the partial suture incompetence occurred in 2 cases and it resulted in the repeated operations. The partial suturing of the defect and through luminal transesophageal drainage of the fistula and mediastinum in the manner of V.I. Belokonev (2005) has been performed in 8 patients. The drainage of the esophageal perforation through its lumen contributed to forming of the tubular fistula which closed on its own. One out of 14 patients died from multiorganic failure and sepsis.
Conclusions. Esophageal injury by the metallic device used for the vertebral fixation has the peculiarities of clinical course. The suturing of the esophageal defect in combination with the suture line strengthening by the local tissues is indicated in the cases of minor changes of the esophageal wall and absence of pyogenic inflammations. In pyogenic necrotic lesions and fistula recurrence the esophageal defect suturing in the combination with a through luminal transesophageal drainage of the trauma and mediastinum area is required. The suturing of the esophageal defect and the suture strengthening m. sternocleidomastoideus on the pedicle complemented by a through luminal transesophageal drainage have advantage in comparison with the esophageal wall suturing without drainage.
- Polishchuk NE, Korzh NA, Fishchenko VIa. Povrezhdeniia pozvonochnika i spinnogo mozga (mekhanizmy, klinika, diagnostika, lechenie) [Trauma of the spine and spinal cord (mechanisms, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment)]. Kiev, Ukraina: Kniga plius; 2001. 388 p.
- Vetrile ST, Kolesov SV, Borisov AK, Kuleshov AA, Shvets VV. Taktika lecheniia tiazhelykh povrezhdenii pozvonochnika s ispol'zovaniem sovremennykh tekhnologii [Tactics of treatment of severe spine injuries with the use of the current technologies]. Vestn Travmatol i Ortoped im NN Priorova. 2001;(2):45–50.
- Dzukaev DN, Semchenko VI, Dreval' ON. Novaia tekhnologiia v lechenii patologicheskikh perelomov pozvonochnika [New technology in the treatment of pathological fractures of the spine]. Zhurn Vopr Neirokhirurgii im NN Burdenko. 2009;(3):19–22.
- Parshin VD, Abdumuradov KA, Levitskaia NN, Vishnevskaia GA, Aganesov AG. Odnomomentnoe lechenie trakheopishchevodnogo svishcha i prolezhnia pishchevoda inorodnym telom. [Simultaneous treatment of tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal pressure sore by foreign body]. Khirurgiia. Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2009;(1):70–71.
- Brinster CJ, Singhal S, Lee L, Marshall MB, Kaiser LR, Kucharczuk JC. Evolving options in the management of esophageal perforation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Apr;77(4):1475–83.
- Bhatia P, Fortin D, Inculet RI, Malthaner RA. Current concepts in the management of esophageal perforations: a twenty-seven year Canadian experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jul;92(1):209–15.
- Rueth N, Shaw D, Groth S, Stranberg S, D'Cunha J, Sembrano J, Maddaus M, Andrade R. Management of cervical esophageal injury after spinal surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Oct;90(4):1128–33.
- Lu X, Guo Q, Ni B. Esophagus perforation complicating anterior cervical spine surgery. Eur Spine J. 2012 Jan;21(1):172–77.
- Galstian NE. Povrezhdeniia sheinogo otdela pishchevoda pri fiksatsii pozvonochnika metallicheskimi konstruktsiiami [Damage of cervical esophagus with spine fixation by metallic devices]. Vestn RGMU. 2010;(2):164 p.
- Bagirov MM, Vereshchako RI. Varianty lecheniia rubtsovogo stenoza pishchevoda, oslozhnennogo svishchom [The options of esophageal catricial stenosis treatment complicated by fistula]. Khirurgiia Ukrainy. 2012;(1):26–35.
- Vrouenraets BC, Been HD, Brouwer-Mladin R, Bruno M, van Lanschot JJ.Esophageal perforation associated with cervical spine surgery: report of two cases and review of the literature. Dig Surg. 2004;21(3):246–49.
- Ardon H, Van Calenbergh F, Van Raemdonck D, Nafteux P, Depreitere B, van Loon J, Goffin J. Oesophageal perforation after anterior cervical surgery: management in four patients. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2009 Apr;151(4):297–302.
- Belokonev VI, Zamiatin VV, Izmailov EP. Diagnostika i lechenie povrezhdenii pishchevoda [Diagnosis and treatment of esophageal trauma]. Samara, RF: Perspektiva; 1999. 160 p.
- Miroshnikov BI Gorbunov GN, Ivanov AP. Plastika pishchevoda [Esophagoplasty]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: ELBI-SPb; 2012. 368 p.
- Wierzbicka M, Bartochowska A, Banaszewski J, Szyfter W. Cervical oesophageal and hypopharyngeal perforations after anterior cervical spine surgery salvaged with regional and free flaps. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2013 Jan-Feb;47(1):43–8.
443095, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia, g. Samara, ul. Tashkentskaia, d. 159, GBUZ SO «Samarskaia oblastnaia klinicheskaia bol'nitsa im. M.I. Kalinina»,
Pushkin Sergey Yur’evich
Belokonev V.I. MD, professor, a head of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.
Pushkin S.Yu. MD, a deputy chief physician of surgery of SBME ND “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”, a head specialist of Ministry of Health of Samara region (thoracic surgery).
Benyan A.S. PhD, a head of the surgical thoracic department of SBME ND “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”.
Kameev I.R. A thoracic surgeon of the surgical thoracic department of SBME ND “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”.
Ayrapetova M.P. A thoracic surgeon of the surgical thoracic department of SBME ND “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”.