This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 1
L.A. BOCKERIA, D.K. GUSCHIN, M.M. ZELENIKIN, L.A. YURPOLSKAYA
RARE CASE: FIBROMA OF THE INTERVENTRICULAR SEPTUM IN 17-MONTH-OLD CHILD
A.N. Bakoulev National Medical Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow,
The Russian Federation
Frequency of primary heart tumors in children is relatively rare and according to the literature data does not exceed 0.32%, while heart fibroma is registered in 13-18%. Cardiac fibroma is a benign tumor that occurs mainly in childhood. It can be manifested by heart rhythm disturbances, heart failure, sudden death, while large number of patients remain asymptomatic and tumor is revealed accidentally. Electrocardiography and echocardiography help to diagnose this heart neoplasm, but an accurate diagnosis can be made using additional methods such as computer or magnetic resonance imaging and histological examination. Nevertheless, in some situations, nature of tumor can be established only after its resection. This case report describes the stages of diagnosis and subsequent successful resection of a large fibroma of the interventricular septum, which has created the obstruction of right ventricular outflow tract, in a baby patient. It should be noticed that the course of the disease was almost asymptomatic. The tumor was first detected at the age of 1 month when performing routine echocardiography and subsequently the child was observed for several months by cardiologist; there was a tendency to the tumor increase, but there were no specific complaints from the child.
- Smythe JF, Dyck JD, Smallhorn JF, Freedom RM. Natural history of cardiac rhabdomyoma in infancy and childhood. Am J Cardiol. 1990 Nov 15;66(17):1247-49. doi: 10.1016/0002-9149(90)91109-J
- Isaacs H Jr. Fetal and neonatal cardiac tumors. Pediatr Cardiol. 2004 May-Jun;25(3):252-73. doi: 10.1007/s00246-003-0590-4
- Nathan M, Fabozzo A, Geva T, Walsh E, del Nido PJ. Successful surgical management of ventricular fibromas in children. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Dec;148(6):2602-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.11.052
- Jain D, Maleszewski JJ, Halushka MK. Benign cardiac tumors and tumorlike conditions. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2010 Jun;14(3):215-30. doi: 10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2009.12.010
- Miyake CY, Del Nido PJ, Alexander ME, Cecchin F, Berul CI, Triedman JK, Geva T, Walsh EP. Cardiac tumors and associated arrhythmias in pediatric patients, with observations on surgical therapy for ventricular tachycardia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Oct 25;58(18):1903-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2011.08.005
- Careddu L, Oppido G, Petridis FD, Liberi R, Ragni L, Pacini D, Pace Napoleone C, Angeli E, Gargiulo G. Primary cardiac tumours in the paediatric population. Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;2013:mmt013. doi: 10.1093/mmcts/mmt013
- Bonow RO, Mann DL, Zipes DP, Libby P. Braunwald’s heart disease: a text book of cardiovascular medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. 2048 р.
- Shi L, Wu L, Fang H, Han B, Yang J, Ma X, Liu F, Zhang Y, Xiao T, Huang M, Huang M. Identification and clinical course of 166 pediatric cardiac tumors. Eur J Pediatr. 2017 Feb;176(2):253-60. doi: 10.1007/s00431-016-2833-4
- Horovitz A, van Geldorp IE, Roubertie F, Thambo JB. Large right ventricular fibroma in a 6-month-old infant. Pediatr Cardiol. 2012 Dec;33(8):1458-60. doi: 10.1007/s00246-012-0390-9
- Kimura N, Matsubara M, Atsumi N, Terada M. Successful surgical removal of a giant interventricular fibroma: surgical approach without ventriculotomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Mar;95(3):1072-74. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2012.08.028
- Bockeria LA, Svobodov AA, Yurpol’skaya LA, Doktorova VP. The case of successful resection fibroma of right ventricle in a seven-month age child. Grudnaia i Serdech-Sosud Khirurgiia. 2014;(6):43-46. https://tcs-journal.com/catalog/detail.php?SECTION_ID=3935&ID=44871 (in Russ.)
- Braggion-Santos MF, Koenigkam-Santos M, Teixeira SR, Volpe GJ, Trad HS, Schmidt A. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of cardiac masses. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2013 Sep;101(3):263-72. doi: 10.5935/abc.20130150 [Article in English, Portuguese]
- Ivanovskaia TE, Tsinzerling AV. Patologicheskaia anatomiia (bolezni detskogo vozrasta). Moscow, SSSR: Meditsina; 1976. 432 p. (in Russ.)
- Cho JM, Danielson GK, Puga FJ, Dearani JA, McGregor CG, Tazelaar HD, Hagler DJ. Surgical resection of ventricular cardiac fibromas: early and late results. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Dec;76(6):1929-34. doi: 10.1016/S0003-4975(03)01196-2
121552, The Russian Federation,
Moscow, Rublevskoe Highway, 135,
A.N. Bakoulev National Medical
Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery,
Surgery Department of Young Children
With Congenital Heart Diseases.
Tel. mobile: +79260310316,
Dmitry K. Guschin
Bockeria Leo A., Academician of RAS, MD, Professor, Director, A.N. Bakoulev National Medical Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Guschin Dmitry K., Researcher, Cardiovascular Surgeon of the Surgery Department of Young Children with Congenital Heart Diseases, A.N. Bakoulev National Medical Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Zelenikin Mikhail M., MD, Professor, Head of the Surgery Department of Young Children with Congenital Heart Diseases, A.N. Bakoulev National Medical Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Yurpolskaya Lyudmila A., MD, Leading Researcher of the Department of Computer and Magnetic Resonance Imaging, A.N. Bakoulev National Medical Research Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russian Federation.