This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 5
N.M. MALASHENKO 1, S.A. YESKOV 2, V.T. MALKEVICH 3, A.V. ZAPALIANSKI 1, A.A. SVIRSKY 1, YU.M. GRINEVICH 1, K.YU. MARAKHOVSKY 1, YU.I. LINNIK 1, E.S. RYABUSHKO 1, A.I. ZAMAREEV 1, V.I. AVERIN 2
PRIMARY CONGENITAL TRACHEAL STENOSIS IN AN INFANT
Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital 1, Minsk Scientific and Practical Center of Surgery, Transplantology and Hematology2 N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus3, Belarusian State Medical University 4 Minsk, The Republic of Belarus
Primary congenital stenosis of the trachea is a rare malformation and occurs in 1 of 64,500 newborns, prevailing in boys. Combined malformations are detected in 80% of these patients, and cardiovascular malformations are in half of the cases. The clinical picture of the tracheal stenosis is non-specific, especially in children older than 1 month. Generally, symptoms can be distinguished for all age groups: stridor, tachypnea, tachycardia, acrocyanosis, perioral cyanosis, which are aggravated during feeding and physical exertion. Without surgical treatment mortality reaches 80%.
The article presents a clinical observation of an 8-year-months child with multiple congenital malformations: congenital heart disease, diverticulum and tracheal stenosis at the Th2 level, bilateral vesicoureteral reflux, grade 4, right ureterohydronephrosis.
Clinical manifestations of tracheal stenosis haven’t been marked in this patient for a long time, as a result, the defect was suspected quite late. The diagnosis was estimated by tracheobronchoscopy, angiopulmonography, bronchography and computed tomography.
The patient underwent a circular resection of the thoracic trachea with an “end-to-end” anastomosis under conditions of cardiopulmonary bypass. The child was discharged home on the 15th day in satisfactory condition.
- Antón-Pacheco JL, Morante R. Operative or non-operative treatment of congenital tracheal stenosis: is there something new? J Thorac Dis. 2017 Dec;9(12):4878-80. doi: 10.21037/jtd.2017.11.75
- Herrera P, Caldarone C, Forte V, Campisi P, Holtby H, Chait P, Chiu P, Cox P, Yoo SJ, Manson D, Kim PC. The current state of congenital tracheal stenosis. Pediatr Surg Int. 2007 Nov;23(11):1033-44. doi: 10.1007/s00383-007-1945-3
- Hoffer ME, Tom LW, Wetmore RF, Handler SD, Potsic WP. Congenital tracheal stenosis. The otolaryngologist’s perspective. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1994 Apr;120(4):449-53. doi: 10.1001/archotol.1994.01880280077015
- Rudenko ЄÎ. Complete cartilage rings – a rare and severe trachea stenosis in children/ Minimally invasive and surgical treatment. Khirurgiia Ditiachogo Viku. 2018;(1):66-74. doi 10.15574/PS.2018.58.66 (in Ukr.)
- Perel’man MI. Khirurgiia trakhei. Moscow RF: Meditsina; 1972. 190 p. https://studfiles.net/preview/1215219 (in Russ.)
- Grillo HC. Surgery of the trachea and bronchi. London, UK: BC Decker Inc Hamilton; 2004. 872 p.
- Volosianko AB, Khodan VV, Bagr³i MM, Kuzik SV, Navrots’ka LB, ²l’k³v MV. Kl³n³chna kharakteristika stenotichnikh urazhen’ verkhn³kh v³dd³l³v dikhal’nogo traktu u d³tei rann’ogo v³ku [Elektronnyi resurs]. Zdorov’e Rebenka. 2012;(1):66-69. [Data obrashcheniia 01 Ianv 2019]. http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/26008 (in Ukr.)
- Shevchenko IuV, Seliverstov PV, Nechaev EV. MÑT-isometry of stenoses of a throat and trachea. [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sib Med Zhurn. 2014;(1):117-21. [Data obrashcheniia 20 Okt 2018]. http://smj.ismu.baikal.ru/index.php/osn/issue/view/29/2014-1 (in Russ.)
- Tatur AA. Circular tracheal resection in treatment of cicatricial stenosis [Elektronnyi resurs]. Med Zhurn. 2014;(1):119-24. [Data obrashcheniia 25 Okt 2018]. https://www.bsmu.by/medicaljournal/category47/ (in Russ.)
- Krivcenya DU, Rudenko EO, Dubrovin A.G. Minimally invasive treatment of airway stenoses in children. Perinatologiia i Pediatriia. 2018;(1):118-24. doi: 10.15574/PP.2018.73.118 (in Ukr.)
- Komori K, Toma M, Shimojima N, Yamamoto Y, Uto K, Ogata S, Kano M, Hirobe S. Laryngeal release with slide tracheoplasty for long-segment congenital tracheal stenosis. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Oct;63(10):583-85. doi: 10.1007/s11748-013-0329-y
- Tsugawa C, Kimura K, Muraji T, Nishijima E, Matsumoto Y, Murata H. Congenital stenosis involving a long segment of the trachea: further experience in reconstructive surgery. J Pediatr Surg. 1988 May;23(5):471-75. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3468(88)80451-2
- Backer CL, Holinger LD. A history of pediatric tracheal surgery. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2010 Oct;1(3):344-63. doi: 10.1177/2150135110381602
- Chiu PP, Kim PC. Prognostic factors in the surgical treatment of congenital tracheal stenosis: a multicenter analysis of the literature. J Pediatr Surg. 2006 Jan;41(1):221-25; discussion 221-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2005.10.043
220013, The Republic of Belarus,
Minsk, Independence Ave., 64,
Children’s Surgery National
Applied Research Hospital.
Tel. +375 29 386 81 79,
Nikita M. Malashenko
Malashenko Nikita M., Pediatric Surgeon, Surgical Department ¹3, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Yeskov Sergey A., PhD, Thoracic Surgeon, Head of the Thoracic Department, Minsk Scientific and Practical Center for Surgery, Transplantology and Hematology, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Malkevich Viktar T., MD, Associate Professor, Thoracic Surgeon, Head of the Laboratory of the Thoracic Cancer Pathology, N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus, Lesnoy, Minsk District, Republic of Belarus.
Zapalianski Andrei V., PhD, Pediatric Surgeon, Head of the Surgery Department, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Svirsky Aliaksandr A., PhD, Associate Professor, Pediatric Surgeon, Deputy Director for Medical Work, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Grinevich Yuri M., PhD, Associate Professor, Pediatric Surgeon, Head of the Surgical Department ¹4, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Marakhovsky Kirill Yu., PhD, Pediatric Surgeon, Head of the Diagnostic Department, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Linnik Yuri I., Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgeon, Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Ryabushko Elena S., Perfusiologist, the Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation ¹1, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Zamareev Aliaksandr I., Anesthesiologist - Resuscitator, Head of the Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation ¹1, Children’s Surgery National Applied Research Hospital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.
Averin Vasily I., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery, Belarusian State Medical University, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.